Lifou with Royal Caribbean

Just a question about this port with Royal Caribbean. I am off on Radiance of the Seas next week. Despite cruising a lot I have never been to New Caledonia.

Question is I note there is no ships excursions with Royal Caribbean in Lifou. I am a sun lover and love to swim so I am anticipating this port to be based on water activities.

Just wondering from past experience what Royal Caribbean do when they arrive at Lifou? What is the procedure for the day and what activities are put on if there are no excursions. I am guessing the ship will be able to point out where the best swimming, snorkeling areas are.

You can swim at the beach right where you get off the tender wharf. There are turtles in the water - you see them while waiting to reboard the ship at the wharf - so you may be able swim with turtles nearby. Note you need reef shoes for this beach because the sand is quite harsh on feet.

Other option, is fabulous snorkelling at Jinek Bay. This a short walk from the tender wharf. You head upwards from the tender wharf, thru the sandy "car park" to the road. take a left and follow the road along til to get a junction and then follow the path down to a sandy/grassy area that has black steps leading down to Jinek Bay. When we went in 2013, we paid $15pp each AUD to the locals to be able to enter the water and snorkel. They were at the top of the steps and gave us a wristband each. One local paddled around on a surf ski to keep an eye on everyone.

Royal did not advertise/notify anyone of this on board btw so there were alot of disappointed/angry cruisers who were not aware/prepared to pay $15pp to snorkel here. I was aware beforehand thru what I had read here on cruise critic.

Anyways, Jinek is a lovely spot to snorkel and worth the money imo.

I wouldn't say the port is based on water activities in the sense of having lots of them - it's fairly undeveloped. Generally the options are light swimming/snorkelling as mentioned above, and/or relaxing around the market, walking up to the church, and if so inclined some do the small island tour.

It's a nice enough place, but pretty relaxed and casual. If you do want to go to that private snorkelling area, note that they do have a capacity limit, so may be sold out if you go a few hours in (i.e. peak time). Also they request no sunscreen due to coral damage it can cause.

I recommend you take a local tour of the island. They are very organised and when I was last there about $20 each. They take you to the other side of the island pointing out things on the way. There is a small marina and a stop at the most beautiful beach where we had a swim. We also went to a church and looked at some of the local houses. The driver although friendly enough only spoke French.

We have scuba dived at lifou & snorkelled Jinek bay several times as well as done both around the world & I can guarantee you that Jinek's snorkelling is some of the best in the world. Don't miss it.

Whatever you do, wear fins/flippers not reef shoes for snorkelling - reef shoes encourage people to stand on the coral - this destroys it for everyone. Fins give you more control in the water & allow you to swim out a little further from the shore where the best stuff to see is. :)

Also try to get their early before too many people arrive & churn up the sand which reduces visibility.

Whatever you do, wear fins/flippers not reef shoes for snorkelling - reef shoes encourage people to stand on the coral - this destroys it for everyone. Fins give you more control in the water & allow you to swim out a little further from the shore where the best stuff to see is. :)

Yes! I was so horrified to see people trampling the coral when we were at Lifou and also Isle of Pines. I think it is a combination of lack of understanding of the impact of touching the coral and also people pushing themselves past their swimming ability. They then have no choice but to put their feet down as they are too tired to swim any further. Very sad and I wish the cruise lines would provide some sort of signage or education about this.

I recommend you take a local tour of the island. They are very organised and when I was last there about $20 each. They take you to the other side of the island pointing out things on the way. There is a small marina and a stop at the most beautiful beach where we had a swim. We also went to a church and looked at some of the local houses. The driver although friendly enough only spoke French.

That sounds great. Good tip!

Yes! I was so horrified to see people trampling the coral when we were at Lifou and also Isle of Pines. I think it is a combination of lack of understanding of the impact of touching the coral and also people pushing themselves past their swimming ability. They then have no choice but to put their feet down as they are too tired to swim any further. Very sad and I wish the cruise lines would provide some sort of signage or education about this.

Yes, the left side of the sacred island snorkel area on Isle Of Pines is trashed by the ignorant or selfish. I snorkelled around from the other deeper side & as you get closer to shore the coral starts to show signs of breakage, then mass destruction & you can see all the people wearing reef shoes tramping around!

If people can't swim then they should do the glass bottom boat tours or go to sandy beaches or stay in the pools where they can do little harm :rolleyes:

I too wish the ships would issue some guidelines to passengers - whilst doing the pre sail safety talk we could also get the 'keep your hoofs off the coral' lesson & maybe they could throw in a 'keep your hands off the buffet food until it's on your plate' lesson as well!

We could reduce norovirus & help preserve reefs at the same time!!:D

Thanks for info. I will be going in the water for sure and am a fairly strong swimmer. Besides I have a new underwater video camera I am keen to test out. I saved up all my coke rewards coupons for over a year and used them to get one of those sony action cams with an underwater housing I can now video underwater in HD. It works at the pool so now finally I can finally take it on holidays.

There are also a number of locally operated tours available here.

The 3 main destinations are:

Jokin Cliffs - moderately impressive limestone cliffs, with lovely blue water & coral reefs below. There are stairs which you can walk down and you may have time for a quick swim if you're so inclined.

Vanilla Plantation - this is on the way to Jokin, pretty much what you'd expect. You get to take a short walk through the plantation and have the history and processes explained to you.

Luecilla Beach - this is a lovely white sandy beach on the eastern side of the island, near the island's capital of We. It's a much nicer beach than the one where the cruise tenders deposit the passengers.

I believe there is also a cave where you can go swimming underground, not far from the tender wharf. I haven't found it, or tried this activity myself.

You can swim at the beach right where you get off the tender wharf. There are turtles in the water - you see them while waiting to reboard the ship at the wharf - so you may be able swim with turtles nearby. Note you need reef shoes for this beach because the sand is quite harsh on feet.

Other option, is fabulous snorkelling at Jinek Bay. This a short walk from the tender wharf. You head upwards from the tender wharf, thru the sandy "car park" to the road. take a left and follow the road along til to get a junction and then follow the path down to a sandy/grassy area that has black steps leading down to Jinek Bay. When we went in 2013, we paid $15pp each AUD to the locals to be able to enter the water and snorkel. They were at the top of the steps and gave us a wristband each. One local paddled around on a surf ski to keep an eye on everyone.

Royal did not advertise/notify anyone of this on board btw so there were alot of disappointed/angry cruisers who were not aware/prepared to pay $15pp to snorkel here. I was aware beforehand thru what I had read here on cruise critic.

Anyways, Jinek is a lovely spot to snorkel and worth the money imo.

We were there last week and they have improved the road at the jetty. It is now a circular tar road not long finished by the looks of it. The other time we were there, the locals were charging for Jinek Bay but they are not now and the steps have been rebuilt with a small landing. The Notre Dame church on the hill is worth a visit but it is a steep climb on rough steps. There are local tours, as mentioned, but no commentary by the drivers.

There are also a number of locally operated tours available here.

The 3 main destinations are:

Jokin Cliffs - moderately impressive limestone cliffs, with lovely blue water & coral reefs below. There are stairs which you can walk down and you may have time for a quick swim if you're so inclined.

Vanilla Plantation - this is on the way to Jokin, pretty much what you'd expect. You get to take a short walk through the plantation and have the history and processes explained to you.

Luecilla Beach - this is a lovely white sandy beach on the eastern side of the island, near the island's capital of We. It's a much nicer beach than the one where the cruise tenders deposit the passengers.

I believe there is also a cave where you can go swimming underground, not far from the tender wharf. I haven't found it, or tried this activity myself.

We stumbled across "the Cave" after a ten min walk on road (right) near a small church where there is a sign just beyond. After paying $40 ($10 each) to one of the locals I thought I was getting a tour. What I got was a pointed hand in the direction of a timber arch. There was a bit of scrub and a dirt track which we followed, though nothing special. Kept going over a few steep rocks then found ourselves at the top of a beautiful ravine of trees and ferns. The track continued down where a rope is provided as a hand rail because it's quite steep. Further down, stopping to take photos, I saw the last of my family disappearing between some rocks into a deep dark cavern. Fearing a 'picnic at hanging rock' scenario I scurried after them into what was the blackest black I'd ever seen. Light from a single torch, provided by a wonderful local was much appreciated. He shines it onto a small but bottomless pool of fresh water and encourages you to jump in. It was the most refreshing and exhilarating experience. Well worth twice the money just to hear my granddaughter's utter pleasure at finding such an unexpected treasure by 'going off the beaten track'.