A veteran NCL cruiser departs

Dolphins

I have to agree with the OP.

"I enjoyed dining at Cagney's and Le Bistro at reasonable rates without mandatory gratuities added. I dined at La Cucina and the Tex-Mex specialty restaurants at no extra charge. "

As we are now Platinum I am thrilled to still enjoy dinner for two at Le Bistro and at another specialty. On the Gem in Oct it happened to be Moderno.

FYI, We tip additional on these.

We then paid for dinner at La Cucina + gratuity which used to be free! I thought it should have still been free. Very disappointed!

We opted out of Cagney's this past cruise due to the increased cost + gratuity. The steaks were always good but not terrific so why would we spend so much?.

We do still enjoy cruising and appreciate our loyalty perks. We just may not chose to dine/spend any additional in the future.

If it ever happens to me I will let you know.

All your comment means to me is that any cruise you have booked was booked after all the changes

Had you booked in very early 2015 you would actually understand that you have lost certain amenities.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All your comment means to me is that any cruise you have booked was booked after all the changes

Had you booked in very early 2015 you would actually understand that you have lost certain amenities.

It means I have three cruises booked in 2016, will let you know if I lose any amenities I would have used. Don't drink, don't smoke, don't gamble, don't use room service.

If it ever happens to me I will let you know.

It's easy not to care because it hasn't happened to you. However, if people voice their concerns NOW, it may never have to happen to you.

Otherwise, it will, eventually, happen to you.

I can assume that when you booked your cruise there was already a room service charge?

I can assume that when you booked there was already the DSC increases?

I can assume that when you booked, there was already the 18% grautity's in the specialty restaurants?

I can assume that when you booked there was already the increase from 15 to 18% on bar bills?

I can assume that when you booked kids could still eat at specialty restaurants using the specialty menu for half price?

I can assume that when you booked.......I don't think I need to continue.

You really must have booked within the last month or so.

Harriet

It's easy not to care because it hasn't happened to you. However, if people voice their concerns NOW, it may never have to happen to you.

I can assume that when you booked your cruise there was already a room service charge?

I can assume that when you booked, there was already the 18% grautity's in the specialty restaurants?

I can assume that when you booked there was already the increase from 15 to 18% on bar bills?

I can assume that when you booked kids could still eat at specialty restaurants using the specialty menu for half price?

Harriet

All of your assumptions are correct.

It means I have three cruises booked in 2016, will let you know if I lose any amenities I would have used. Don't drink, don't smoke, don't gamble, don't use room service.

Smoking and gambling aren't amenities

But for a pax who uses room service and booked before the fees were added.....they have lost value

In my case.....I love prime rib and look forward to it at weddings lol and on cruises....it was free in the mdr when I booked but from what I hear there will be a charge now for it .... So I'm not going to order it

I know I can get other beef choices....but if I expected prime rib to be included in the mdr when I booked ...it should still be free...when I sail

Fwiw on the ba the osheehans prime rib came out cold but it wasn't terrible but do we know if they are still offering it for free at o sheehans?

it doesn't matter if it affects you or me ( I don't use Rs btw and am done with the specialties too) but the bottom line is the value has diminished since booking versus sailing

When they are going to make these kind of changes they need to publish the start date of these changes and not just spring them on pax

But we know 3 things now about ncl

1. They do not care one bit about their devoted return cruisers as they want newbies who are none the wiser

2. The ncl IT Dept is useless as evidenced by their not updating the BA itinerary to 14 day and continuing to take bookings as a 12 day. Same with all those epic cruise issues. So to expect them to be able to update their website about changes is a joke.

3. Ncl can't advise the pax of changes because they don't know from one day to the next what FDR is going to do

He must be a real pleasure to work for

Harriet

And invitation to join a movement? Everything you assumed means nothing to me. I am a member of the Alice's Restaurant Antimasacre Movement, otherwise I would never join an organization that would have someone like me as a member.:D

Smoking and gambling aren't amenities

But for a pax who uses room service and booked before the fees were added.....they have lost value

In my case.....I love prime rib and look forward to it at weddings lol and on cruises....it was free in the mdr when I booked but from what I hear there will be a charge now for it .... So I'm not going to order it

I know I can get other beef choices....but if I expected prime rib to be included in the mdr when I booked ...it should still be free...when I sail

Fwiw on the ba the osheehans prime rib came out cold but it wasn't terrible but do we know if they are still offering it for free at o sheehans?

it doesn't matter if it affects you or me ( I don't use Rs btw and am done with the specialties too) but the bottom line is the value has diminished since booking versus sailing

When they are going to make these kind of changes they need to publish the start date of these changes and not just spring them on pax

But we know 3 things now about ncl

1. They do not care one bit about their devoted return cruisers as they want newbies who are none the wiser

2. The ncl IT Dept is useless as evidenced by their not updating the BA itinerary to 14 day and continuing to take bookings as a 12 day. Same with all those epic cruise issues. So to expect them to be able to update their website about changes is a joke.

3. Ncl can't advise the pax of changes because they don't know from one day to the next what FDR is going to do

He must be a real pleasure to work for

So are you currently booked on NCL or do you intend to book in the future?

Harriet

Mug tech is exactly the kind of cruiser ncl wants.....he/she doesn't care about the changes because his value is not diminished as he paid top dollar for what ncl was offering at the time so what they have taken away before he booked doesn't matter to him

I booked last April for January and my value is very much decreased because I know what they took from me as I was supposed to get it when I booked

Of course I booked before FDR went in his rampage so my deal is very good and my price rock bottom as I follow my cruise price like a hawk so I'm still benefiting. Lol

However someone like mug tech who may have booked my exact cruise within the last month or so is definitely paying a lot more than me and while we are both subject to all the changes....I still paid a lot less and am getting less.....but others have paid a lot more and still getting less.

This will backfire on ncl.....and devoted ncl pax will run elsewhere

Alternately the newbies will actually think they are getting free ubp sdp etc so they will be thrilled with ncl because they don't realize they paid $800 more for their cruise for the freebies

Problem is that ncl offers promos constantly so it is hard to equate prices to a no promo booking like I got

So basically you have lost amenities but just don't realize it because they were taken away before you booked

The issue is with those pax that booked cruises before they started to eliminate free amenities like room service

I personally do not cruise for the "value", but for the experience NCL suite cruising provides. We like the butler to deliver meals, snacks, etc. We like the priority embarkation and debarkation. We love the Haven. That said, as the NCL suite prices continue to rise, we may consider another experience that provides those kind of perks. We are not huge drinkers, and not foodies, so the freebies that are included now, that raise the price, are not worth it to us. So, we may try a high end luxury resort somewhere, or maybe just a nice room at a regular resort. I am not sure what the future brings, but I too may leave NCL if they continue to raise the prices and if they consider taking away any of the current suite perks.

I can say this for sure. I would not even consider cruising in a non suite on NCL. Charging for room service and all of the other extra costs would steer me away from them. We are considering RCL for our next non suite cruise.

So are you currently booked on NCL or do you intend to book in the future?

Read my posts

I booked in April for January

I got an awesome true ksf Rock bottom deal....no ubp no udp ... Don't want them anyway.....dsc was lower.... Prime rib and room service was included when I booked ....it was 15% not 18 % when I booked....etc etc

All that is gone now so even though I do have a great deal.....things have been taken away from me

Doesn't matter if I use Rs or not....it was free when I booked and isn't now

For the future....as ncl prices have skyrocketed from my preferred port.... I might as well look into rccl

If I have to pay more why not try a new line?

Do I intend to book in the future? Of course as travel is my second passion....my family is first of course ....

I plan to cruise....to do land trip....to do road trips.....bottom line I'm continuing to travel as much as humanly and financially possible...lol

But I'm seriously pricing other lines whereas ncl was always my first choice in the past.

Thank you for your contribution to these boards, and I'm sorry that NCL doesn't meet your needs any longer. I don't understand why people need to be so dismissive, there is nothing wrong with you posting that you're moving on.

There isn't a single change that's been made by the new management that is a positive for the average cruiser. One person who had gastric bypass loves that they can now pay only for 2 apps in a specialty instead of the $25 fee, but otherwise the last changes are not consumer friendly, so I totally understand your point. You're not leaving due to innovation, and I think that people claiming that is reason you're going is unfair.

Happy sails if you're heading off to another line.

Suite Cruiser as there is no like button on these threads I am just saying I always enjoy your answers, logical, polite reasoning and balanced trip reports [emoji4]

So from the time you booked your cruise on or about November 2014 until you sailed April 19, 2015 you're saying that NCL didn't change anything? Everything was the same when you sailed on the Sun in April 2015 as it was when you booked the cruise in 2014?

I'm just finding that really hard to believe.

Harriet

So basically you have lost amenities but just don't realize it because they were taken away before you booked

The issue is with those pax that booked cruises before they started to eliminate free amenities like room service

OP booked sometime before or in November 2014 for a cruise in April 2015.

Many things changed from the time OP booked and OP cruised. OP may not care but can't claim 'nothing changed'.

Harriet

So from the time you booked your cruise on or about November 2014 until you sailed April 19, 2015 you're saying that NCL didn't change anything? Everything was the same when you sailed on the Sun in April 2015 as it was when you booked the cruise in 2014?

Harriet

Well actually many of the changes I am personally upset about were sprung on us starting around mid April 2015

When I booked my Jan 2016 cruise in the first week of April 2015 prices were great and nothing really upsetting to me...as I was already pissed off about the cagneys changes so I was boycotting the specialties anyway....and maybe I just wasn't aware of other changes or cared about other changes as we don't smoke nor book a balcony

My Jan 2015 ba cruise seemed ok up charge wise lol and personally didn't feel much change versus my June 2013 gem

However on my Jewell 2011 cruise cagneys was reasonably priced and the menu was incredible so that was a big change for us....so disappointed in the changes at cagneys.....but then again newbie ncl cruisers don't know the difference and ncl counts on that.

Of course 2 different type ships

Edited by Crusin6

OP booked sometime before or in November 2014 for a cruise in April 2015.

Many things changed from the time OP booked and OP cruised. OP may not care but can't claim 'nothing changed'.

Harriet

And the really irritating changes started showing up in April 2015 too....right when FDR started to show his true colors

Read my posts

I booked in April for January

I got an awesome true ksf Rock bottom deal....no ubp no udp ... Don't want them anyway.....dsc was lower.... Prime rib and room service was included when I booked ....it was 15% not 18 % when I booked....etc etc

All that is gone now so even though I do have a great deal.....things have been taken away from me

Doesn't matter if I use Rs or not....it was free when I booked and isn't now

For the future....as ncl prices have skyrocketed from my preferred port.... I might as well look into rccl

If I have to pay more why not try a new line?

Do I intend to book in the future? Of course as travel is my second passion....my family is first of course ....

I plan to cruise....to do land trip....to do road trips.....bottom line I'm continuing to travel as much as humanly and financially possible...lol

But I'm seriously pricing other lines whereas ncl was always my first choice in the past.

I booked my B2B in March when they were offering a free Drink package with no tip cost require for an oceanview room.....which was very cheap....NCL has since decrease the overall value of my deal with all the changes...I prepaid my DSC at the rate before the two changes.

I book cruise based on when I can get Vacation time and value...value is the price and amenities that are included...NCL has lost a lot of value when comparing to RCCL and our next cruise will likely be a RCCL cruise. We have a future cruise credit with RCCL and will want to use that as well.

I'm looking forward to 14 days on the Jade but it maybe my last cruise on NCL based on me not getting value for money in the future as well as not trusting that each week will bring new changes that further reduces the value of the cruise. NCL should have grandfathered the changes...

I booked my B2B in March when they were offering a free Drink package with no tip cost require for an oceanview room.....which was very cheap....NCL has since decrease the overall value of my deal with all the changes...I prepaid my DSC at the rate before the two changes.

I book cruise based on when I can get Vacation time and value...value is the price and amenities that are included...NCL has lost a lot of value when comparing to RCCL and our next cruise will likely be a RCCL cruise. We have a future cruise credit with RCCL and will want to use that as well.

I'm looking forward to 14 days on the Jade but it maybe my last cruise on NCL based on me not getting value for money in the future as well as not trusting that each week will bring new changes that further reduces the value of the cruise. NCL should have grandfathered the changes...

Grandfathered in absolutely!!!!

But that benefits the devoted ncl cruisers......you know the ones ncl is trying to chase away

It was free on the Escape 14th November sailing, and was the best main course we had on the cruise! And that included MDR/Le Bistro/La Cucina.

Whether it's still free with NCLs rate of changes - who knows.

Harriet

They went through the whole you can't take food to your cabin routine, but we just ignored it and did it anyway. No one said a thing about it and it was later changed. We paid $1,000 less for that cruise because in September 2014 we were given a credit on my cc for all we had paid in for a 7 day Canada cruise plus over $1,000 in future cruise credit for giving up our inside cabin 3 weeks before sailing. We were given that choice. Took the Gem 9 day Sandy cruise which turned into 13 for no extra charges. We did miss the DR port, and I would not be surprised if some on here would have insisted on a refund of the missed port fees. Never mind we got 4 extra days of food and entertainment and spent Halloween in Boston. It is going to take a lot of nickels and dimes to get us back to even.

Mug tech is exactly the kind of cruiser ncl wants.....he/she doesn't care about the changes because his value is not diminished as he paid top dollar for what ncl was offering at the time so what they have taken away before he booked doesn't matter to him

I booked last April for January and my value is very much decreased because I know what they took from me as I was supposed to get it when I booked

Of course I booked before FDR went in his rampage so my deal is very good and my price rock bottom as I follow my cruise price like a hawk so I'm still benefiting. Lol

However someone like mug tech who may have booked my exact cruise within the last month or so is definitely paying a lot more than me and while we are both subject to all the changes....I still paid a lot less and am getting less.....but others have paid a lot more and still getting less.

This will backfire on ncl.....and devoted ncl pax will run elsewhere

Alternately the newbies will actually think they are getting free ubp sdp etc so they will be thrilled with ncl because they don't realize they paid $800 more for their cruise for the freebies

Problem is that ncl offers promos constantly so it is hard to equate prices to a no promo booking like I got

FYI The cruises we booked for San Juan next November were priced the same as the day they were first posted plus got the 2 out of 4 deals plus got AARP discount. Not exactly premium pricing.