What the heck are "jeans" anyway?

jan-n-john

I'm fine with that, being new here, I didn't want it to come across as snobby :)

different experiences/exposures greatly influence perspectives. :)

Here is Modern Chandris' original post:

I find it interesting that the posters who don't understand what good jeans are tend to live in areas that don't have a big cultural scene. I think this probably accounts for the disconnect. Spend a little time on the weekends at a decent museum or a chef owned restaurant to get to know the difference between the type of jeans one wears with a nice jacket & the type your gardener wears.

The cut, fabric & fit are completely different, & make one appropriate for chic setting, & the other not.

& truly good jeans won't have an obvious 'designer' label, there's nothing tackier than an obvious logo on clothing or a bag, IMO

Just an opinion, but jeans are jeans, no matter the label. Wearing them is ok, but it clearly is a way to dress down.

I totally agree! Plus, wearing jeans on Formal" night always puzzled me. Why not follow the dress code?

Now that the dress code has been "loosened", can't imagine what we will see in the dining room!

Since when did dressing in jeans become... Chic?

What do you mean by designer jeans?

This means "nice jeans" (in the UK, they'd be referred to as "smart jeans") with no holes, rips or tears. Jeans that you dress up a bit, with a nice top and shoes/heels for women, and a dress shirt, button-down shirt, or sweater for men, with or without a jacket.

Not really, this is a contradiction. Here in the UK many 'designer' jeans do have holes and rips in them, not all though. The word "smart" is very subjective, so your post will be confusing to many.

Though to be brutally honest, with the more mature demographic found on Celebrity ships I don't think you'll see too many people wearing Moschino or similar jeans at £160 per pair. I'm pretty certain any reduction in formal wear will be negligible on 'Celebrity Chic' nights. Though fair play to you for giving the paying passengers the opportunity to make the choice themselves.

These are genuine 'designer' jeans.

http://www.richmondclassics.com/mens-c1/jeans-c3/moschino-love-moschino-distressed-jeans-mq35002-denim-p2055

Yet they're banned under your dress policy.