What the heck are "jeans" anyway?

jan-n-john

Ever since this new dress code, everybody is talking about whether jeans are Ok or aren't. I've gotten completely lost. I want to know exactly what jeans are and are not, or in other words, where is the line between "jeans" and "not-jeans." How do you distinguish them one from the other? Are jeans chic, and not-jeans not chic, or is it the other way around?

When I was a kid, a pair of pants made out of blue denim fabric with a faux leather patch that said Levi Strauss and Company on the back, those were jeans. I get that. But apparently that is no longer the distinction.

And before you write me off as just another hopelessly out-of-date old fogey, before I wrote this I asked Jan to help me out, and she doesn't know either.

Everybody knows what jeans are but some people have different definitions.

To some the word means faded and tattered blue denim.

To others it means any coloured denim, whether or not they are faded or tattered.

Still other will define jeans by their cut and fit rather than the fabric (eg canvas jeans).

Then of course there are designer jeans and who can really tell what that means.

I used to work for a company that had a "no jeans" dress code. I wore jeans every day and no one said a word because they were black or brown and not obviously denim. One day the guy who sat next to me wore faded blue denim jeans and got into all sorts of trouble.

So yes, the definition of "jeans" is not as obvious as some may think.

Agree. Time to move beyond jeans. They have been in the MDR and specialities for years and yes even on formal nights.

Agree and the new dress code made no change whatsoever in whether you can wear jeans in the MDR, that has been the case for several years.

OP, the problem with your question and with the whole dress code issue surrounding jeans is that there is a vast variety of styles, colours, fabrics and designs. The fashionista night clubbing in the newest, trendiest New York club and the local handyman working on your plumbing may both be wearing "jeans", but there all similarity ends.

Avoid the issue and wear slacks on your cruise! :)

The word "jeans" is a newish term for us. We never called them that. They were "Levi's" regardless of whether Levi's or Lee made them. Then again, we call every kind of soda "Coke". :D Welcome to So. Cal. ;)

It seems to be the blue color and baggy fit that most people object to more than anything else. Holes and rips in them don't make them designer-looking to me, they just look stupid. :D

never mind

Actually your original post came through in my email and I thought it was pretty good, having addressed the point I was making in the OP better than some others.

I could repost it if it's Ok with you.

Edited by jan-n-john

I've never worn jeans on a Cruise and probably never will. My choice not to. However IF I did I'd be wearing my good ole' Harley Davidson jeans.

How about the "buttless" chaps? I wonder if those would be allowed?

Actually your original post came through in my email and I thought it was pretty good, having addressed the point I was making in the OP better than many others.

I could repost it if it's Ok with you.

I'm fine with that, being new here, I didn't want it to come across as snobby :)

different experiences/exposures greatly influence perspectives. :)

Jeans are denim pants....if they're made of denim...they are called "jeans". Just like there are many different kinds of pants that are NOT made of denim, there are many kind of "jeans".....different color washes, or different cuts or embellished or not....

Some, like dark wash, standard fit look fine with a nice shirt or top....others are baggy and more utilitarian looking....

This thread makes me laugh, because I've always wondered how denim got such a bad rap. At work we have a "no jeans" policy except for casual Friday, but really, some nice, dark wash, well-fitting jeans look a lot better than some of the ill-fitting, sloppy looking non-denim outfits I've seen around here.

As for cruises, I'd never bring jeans. I don't find them comfortable, and we enjoy dressing up and will continue to do so, regardless of what everyone else wears.

This thread makes me laugh, because I've always wondered how denim got such a bad rap. At work we have a "no jeans" policy except for casual Friday, but really, some nice, dark wash, well-fitting jeans look a lot better than some of the ill-fitting, sloppy looking non-denim outfits I've seen around here.

As for cruises, I'd never bring jeans. I don't find them comfortable, and we enjoy dressing up and will continue to do so, regardless of what everyone else wears.

We are not allowed to wear jeans at work unless they are trying to raise money for a certain charity. They pick a charity and it's always held on a Friday and if you dontate at least $5 you can wear jeans.

I hate jeans, I haven't worn a pair in years. I don't find them comfortable at all.

Ever since this new dress code, everybody is talking about whether jeans are Ok or aren't. I've gotten completely lost. I want to know exactly what jeans are and are not, or in other words, where is the line between "jeans" and "not-jeans." How do you distinguish them one from the other? Are jeans chic, and not-jeans not chic, or is it the other way around?

When I was a kid, a pair of pants made out of blue denim fabric with a faux leather patch that said Levi Strauss and Company on the back, those were jeans. I get that. But apparently that is no longer the distinction.

And before you write me off as just another hopelessly out-of-date old fogey, before I wrote this I asked Jan to help me out, and she doesn't know either.

What do you mean by designer jeans?

This means "nice jeans" (in the UK, they'd be referred to as "smart jeans") with no holes, rips or tears. Jeans that you dress up a bit, with a nice top and shoes/heels for women, and a dress shirt, button-down shirt, or sweater for men, with or without a jacket.

What do you mean by designer jeans?

This means "nice jeans" (in the UK, they'd be referred to as "smart jeans") with no holes, rips or tears. Jeans that you dress up a bit, with a nice top and shoes/heels for women, and a dress shirt, button-down shirt, or sweater for men, with or without a jacket.

I didn't expect this little thread of mine would engender a response from Celebrity.

Unfortunately, with all due respect, the response still provides little clarity, not to mention it answers a question I didn't ask. What are "jeans"? Are jeans only pants made of blue denim, and are any and all pants made of blue denim jeans? Maybe, but many folks have other definitions, which was my basic point in the OP. If the denim is another color but everything else is the same, are those not-jeans? One could certainly find blue denim pants ("jeans") that do not have holes rips or tears but are not by any stretch of the imagination "smart" or "nice."

Basically this new standard appears to me to be a continuation of fashion anarchy, which may be a good thing, but not so great for those who are left to enforce it.

Full disclosure: my interest in this topic is totally academic -- we've sailed X 5 times now including a Transpac, and have yet to have dinner in the MDR (one lunch so far), so we're out of the loop. But I do think there is a larger point -- if X chooses to have rules it is only fair to explain those rules in ways that avoid ambiguity so people can actually follow them.

Edited by jan-n-john