Why so many horrific reviews about Reflection?

dogsambam

Suggest if one reads a negative review to look at the poster and see what else they have posted. Many negative reviews are simply nitpicking about tiny things that colored everything else. Also remember there are some 1400 couples on every cruise. Most with positive experiences say nothing.

Reviews are subjective. In doneall's review DW and I agree about Jayne Curry and thought the Momentum show was wonderful. Loved the Elton John tribute show and did not like the comedian, but again this is shipboard entertainment and you are not paying extra to see them.

Totally agree that ccritic tone has turned negative and not just on Celebrity. Sad.

Suggest if one reads a negative review to look at the poster and see what else they have posted. Many negative reviews are simply nitpicking about tiny things that colored everything else. Also remember there are some 1400 couples on every cruise. Most with positive experiences say nothing.

Reviews are subjective. In doneall's review DW and I agree about Jayne Curry and thought the Momentum show was wonderful. Loved the Elton John tribute show and did not like the comedian, but again this is shipboard entertainment and you are not paying extra to see them.

Totally agree that ccritic tone has turned negative and not just on Celebrity. Sad.

Totally like.:D

We were on Reflection for the first time for a week in December, there just to relax.

I thought it was the liveliest, busiest ship I've been on in years. There was always something going on in the atrium, and people seemed to be having fun everywhere. The officers were constantly involved in events and activities open to all on board. Even though I didn't participate in all the activities, there seemed to be a nice, upbeat buzz on board.

As a subtle bonus, I thought the modern decor and artworks were especially beautiful and interesting all over the ship (more so than other X ships.)

We were on the same sailing and also noticed that people around us, including ourselves, were having a good time. We found the service to be excellent as well.

We will be sailing on the Reflection on this year's Christmas sailing. I have been on lots of cruises, and I have never heard so much negativity. We know we will be on a full ship, with lots of families. We already know everything won't be perfect, as it never is on any trip, but why so much negativity? I am very fearful of our decision to be on this ship. Can some folks who have sailed recently please give me some positive reinforcement that this ship is still great? We went between RCCl and Princess, and decided on Celebrity for a little bit nicer experience to celebrate father-in-law 70th. We are elite members and I have full faith in the line, but I'm having my doubts.

There's a lot of pax who live to complain! Case in point: While on the Eclipse last Jan. this woman standing in front of me asked for Gluten free pizza. When told it would "take a few minutes" to prepare one she started griping. Then she turned to me & said the service was horrible. At that point I told her to plainly shut the hell up & stop bitching about having to wait a few minutes for her pizza. Sorry, but I don't do well with pax like that & will let them know. Really, waiting just 5 minutes or her world would come crashing down.

there's a lot of pax who live to complain! Case in point: While on the eclipse last jan. This woman standing in front of me asked for gluten free pizza. When told it would "take a few minutes" to prepare one she started griping. Then she turned to me & said the service was horrible. At that point i told her to plainly shut the hell up & stop bitching about having to wait a few minutes for her pizza. Sorry, but i don't do well with pax like that & will let them know. Really, waiting just 5 minutes or her world would come crashing down.

a+++++++

We are soon sailing on the Reflection and all the negative reviews and complaints started to cause me anxiety. I posted a couple threads asking about the positive things about Reflection and some kind Cruise Critic members helped to calm my nerves and give me some things to look forward to. Now granted, we have not cruised Celebrity in nearly 20 years, and won't necessarily see the cutbacks of recent cruisers. As a point of comparison, I looked up my cruise fare from 20 years ago and our inside cabin back then was actually more expensive than our current veranda cabin in front of the hump on deck 8!! Now over 20 years time, salaries have increased, food costs have increased, and so on. To me it appears that the cruise industry has now approached pricing more with an ala carte price structure. As a matter of fact, most of the most exclusive land restaurants here do just that. IMHO, I am thankful for this change. We probably would not be able to cruise otherwise. We are so excited for our upcoming cruise, enjoying the palm trees/ocean waves and to have someone to cook, clean, make the beds, etc. :)

I was on the Reflection on my second cruise in December of 2014. I had a great trip and the only thing missing for me was the custom eggs benedict that the Eclipse had. The line was horrifically long as only one poor man was making them and you only had a choice of salmon or ham. The Eclipse had multiple options including a fabulous Italian version. YUM!

Honestly, the most disturbing was the people in line in various locations actively complaining about staff when the staff was in listening range. I was appalled with the behavior of these cruise patrons.

Happy Sailing! I am back on the Reflection in 1 year and 2 weeks!

Sara

Thank you. The live blog by Chicagopaul is fantastic. It has made me feel a little better. We have some first time cruisers going with, and they are beginning to freak.

Sailed Reflection last April and convinced another couple to try a cruise for the first time.

THEY LOVED IT!. Loved it so much they booked again, same ship same itinerary LOL. They didn't want to change a thing. I'll add that one of them was so excited to be finally going on a cruise, the other (her husband) was going just to make her happy. He was a believer after day one, they both loved it.

My question would be 'what negative feedback'? Difficult to comment on this without knowing what you've read that has you worried. There were things that could have done better, one big one being entertainment, but that is subjective. Unlike my friends I will not rush to sail her again, but that's because I like to try different sailings (as you can see from my signature). Reflection is a beautiful ship and has a very laid back feeling which is great for a relaxing getaway.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Edited by poffles

Texted, did you happen to eat at Bistro on 5? Other posts showed elimination of the daily specials such as the short ribs on Friday, and the Mac/cheese on Monday. Trying to figure out for our 1/30 sailing. Thanks

They do have the daily specials, and still have the expanded menu. We thought the food was very good. :)

We were on Reflection week of Dec. 19. I must be an unworthy Cruise Critic contributor, because I have mostly positive things to say. Embarkation was painless. Cabin ready on time. Steward and his assistant were great, and always asked if everything was okay. Select Dining team was outstanding. We had drink packages, and other than a couple of waits on the pool deck during sea days, had no problem getting whatever we wanted in a timely and friendly manner. MDR food was great for us, and our one specialty dinner at Tuscan was the best quality and service of any specialty dinner we've had at sea (Limited sample size, but that's what I have to go on). Never had a problem finding deck chairs when we wanted, always found space in the Solarium. Didn't gamble, didn't shop. The internet was passable for quick email checks (I didn't need my full 90 minutes from CC, so that's a good thing!). Based on reviews from Cruise Critic, I expected the Cruise Director to be unbearable, and the house band, LAX, to be horrible. Neither was my experience. Neither are my new "best friends", but both were entertaining and professional.

Negatives- not many. Texed ate all the waffles. The age limits weren't enforced in the hot tubs or Solarium. Music in the Atrium invaded all open areas of the ship, and there is a shortage of live music. The level of talent in the production shows could have been better, and we werent' crazy about the comedian.

We had a great week, and will, without question, be back!

Gosh, when I heard about "horrific" reviews, I was expecting that maybe a bunch of the hairdryers caught on fire and burned up some of the cabins, or that people found rat droppings in their meals, or that the plumbing system completely stopped working for days at a time...or maybe that passengers were tortured as part of the evening entertainment...

I'm so disappointed! It's just some people complaining that their steak was tough and that others were hogging all the deck chairs, as usual.

Dull, dull, dull! ;)

(By the way, I was on the Reflection from December 5-12, and while it wasn't one of my best cruises, I attribute that more to my mood than anything the ship/crew did or did not provide. And it was still a pleasant and relaxing week--certainly not horrific.)

I, for one, never pay much attention to bad reviews. My husband and I are easy travelers and don't complain much. We don't expect everything to be perfect and we know food and service are subjective. Without a doubt we have always been treated well on cruise ships. Even our "worst" cruise was a lovely cruise.

We are booked on the Reflection for the April TA and I am so excited. I can't wait to give a Solstice class ship a try. It's been several years since we were last on a Celebrity ship and I know it's going to be great!

Now, I just need a way to get the next 3 months to zoom by!! :D

Just got off the reflection on Saturday. We had a great cruise. The food was better than our previous few cruises. I had anticipated horrible loud music based on other people's complaints, and I did not find that to be true at all.

Service was excellent, and I would jump back on in a heartbeat!