Celebrity Reflection Review - Nov. 21, 2015

Host Anne

I am just off the Reflection from the 11/28 sailing. I didn't see any pizza with american cheese slices, and I ate it just about every single day. It was quite good. I also didn't notice any shortage of silverware or bar ware. But then, I was mostly drinking the same cocktail and it was always served in a tall glass.

Thanks, Anne for such a detailed and informative review.

We take our first X cruise on Silhouette January 17 and are looking forward to it.

I'll be writing a long review of our cruise and hope that it doesn't echo your experience.

As you can see from my signature I am a Princess cruiser. Princess are very good in letting smokers (I am one of them) know where it's appropriate to smoke and rap music is never heard. There are many other reasons to consider Princess of course.

Thanks again for being so generous with your time.

Norris

Dave ~ why would you say "dreaded" millennial?

Tongue-in-cheek, since we don't seem to be too popular these days on the X boards... ;)

What I think Celebrity needs to do is figure out to stop alienating the large group of passengers that have supported them for many years for the belief that they have to turn all their ships into South Beach. I don't think they are going to be able to do that. And they'll never fill their ships in the long run if they continue to alienate folks. They need a cross section of people to continue filling ships with multi-generational groups like you'll be sailing with. Hope you have a memorable and enjoyable time!

Thanks! I agree with you somewhat. RCI does a much better job of striking that balance, but also has much larger ships with more expansive entertaniment facilities, larger entertainment staffs, and a richer history of providing excellent entertainment. Of course, their food and service isn't at the same level, but these are the tradeoffs among the mass market lines...

I wholeheartedly disagree though with all of the umbrage taken (in general on this board -- not picking on you) over the new entertainment concepts X is trying out to attract new customers. IMHO: (1) It's necessary. X's entertainment on my last X cruise (Silhouette) was dreadful. (2) They're a business that needs to survive long term, and appealing to new customers (while minimzing the loss of existing customers) is a necessary part of doing that. (3) The new concepts are excellent and will work IMHO, provided they can figure out how to execute them properly. (4) There are, apparently, still entertainment options that appeal to existing long-term customers, which happen to include my parents, who LOVED their B2B on Reflection earlier this year and thought the entertainment was outstanding...

This is all just my $.02. The reality is that some folks would probably be better served on other (more upscale) lines at this point that emphasize fine dining and excellent service. Personally, I applaud X for not backing down from the new entertainment concepts in the face of complaints, and I really hope we like our cruise on the Reflection because we simply loved BLU, and the food/service generally, on the Silhouette. We left the ship thinking man, if only the entertainment could match up!

In any event, thanks for your very informative review! I enjoyed reading it.

Edited by Dave85

Dave ~ why would you say "dreaded" millennial? I'm all for appealing to a wide variety of people of all ages, including millennials. Our daughter is a millennial and cruises often. Nothing we dread about her. Millennials are our future!

What I think Celebrity needs to do is figure out to stop alienating the large group of passengers that have supported them for many years for the belief that they have to turn all their ships into South Beach. I don't think they are going to be able to do that. And they'll never fill their ships in the long run if they continue to alienate folks. They need a cross section of people to continue filling ships with multi-generational groups like you'll be sailing with. Hope you have a memorable and enjoyable time!

The nice thing is there are other choices. Time to explore.

Without putting words in his mouth, sometimes millennials don't get the love here on the celebrity board. I do appreciate how eloquent you were about having choices for everybody-which I agree. I think Celebrity is just confused about how to market towards all generations....because even as an older millennial, there is no way I want to see pole dancing on my vacation. To me, that is not modern luxury or evening chic.

Regarding pizza, did you order pizza from room service? We found on the Summit there was a huge difference in the pizza upstairs and pizza from room service. Pizza from room service was 100% better.

Thanks for your review!

Forgive me if this has been asked already and I missed it, but what is American cheese? In my mind, it's the Kraft singles kind of thing? Or Velveeta cheese? Please tell me that's not what's on the pizza. Or if it is, please, please, please tell me this was a one-off aberration. :eek:

Yes, the American cheese he speaks of is the Kraft singles type of cheese. And I also agree. If that was actually put on a pizza, then I too hope it was a one off aberration. Because if it isn't a one off aberaation, it will be an abomination.

Forgive me if this has been asked already and I missed it, but what is American cheese? In my mind, it's the Kraft singles kind of thing? Or Velveeta cheese? Please tell me that's not what's on the pizza. Or if it is, please, please, please tell me this was a one-off aberration. :eek:
Edited by AtleeH

Thanks, Host Anne, for the review.

Interesting that so many people are coming to the conclusion that X is no longer their preferred line, yet each has his own reason......it appears that Celebrity management is completely clueless.

I'm tired of hearing how shipboard entertainment has to change to attract the future demographic. I have no problem with that at all, but on my last cruise the current demographic was ignored while large venues like the Sky Lounge sat empty.

Anne--thanks for the review. We had really looked forward to meeting you at the CC party, but we actually didn't find our invitation until 2:15 on Sunday afternoon. It was mixed in with all the papers they left in our cabin on day 1--not delivered like mail outside our door like in the past. Totally missed it.

We missed the pole dancers, but did see the mermaid!ImageUploadedByForums1449538938.051668.jpg.21d9708287a2cdbe52bd0f1da374bf32.jpg

As much as the entertainment staff wanted people to dance and "act" like they were in some sort of Miami disco, most people just stood around watching the mermaid swim. Pretty lame....

Overall, we had a great cruise--despite the rough seas.

Thank you Host Anne for your honest assessment.

I believe Celebrity is now just another cruise line - not the former Premium cruise line of the 1970's to late 2010.

Remember the "Simply The Best" campaign, Celebrity was the best of the mass lines in every category and they charged a bit more for their product.

I remember cruising on Zenith, Century, Millie in the caribbean - people would come up to you and ask what it was like to sail Celebrity - there was an awe of this cruise line - it made you proud to have chosen Celebrity - your chest sort of "puffed" out!.

This is gone, Celebrity is now just the same as the others, with a few differences.

I am not sure if Celebrity management has deliberately chosen to be ordinary or if it more part of a general "rush to the bottom" affecting all cruise lines.

Host Anne - the use of processed cheese slices for pizza on your recent Reflection cruise is simply appalling.

New cruisers have no idea how the product has been diminished and Celebrity knows this. So Celebrity will continue their downgrading and price increases. No thank you.

Fortunately people have many choices where to spend their travel $ and other cruise lines are now good substitutes for Celebrity - my household has had very satisfying voyages with Cunard recently.

In the end we are all privileged to be able to sail, for that we can be thankful.

ABoatNerd