Spouse gift when cruising on Xmas

kierra

Husband and I are cruising Dec 20-26 out of Baltimore. His first cruise. We want to exchange gifts onboard and they can't be a picture of a gift had to be the actual gift. Here is where I need help!!!!!

Everything he is into (woodworking, tools, paintball, swords) I don't think I can bring on the ship. He's not the type to wear male jewelry, won't do the aftershave, Cologne, body wash thing. He owns more underware than nyc so that's out, he does not need a laptop or tablet. Ohh and he can't drink.

I got him a book and a small game, but it's not the 'wow cool' gift.

Can anyone share on the following:

1) gifts for men easy to pack and get through security

2) gifts that might work give the criteria above that you can get onto a ship legally without smuggling (already told him no to the new leather an he wanted)

3) how well were you able to hide gifts in your room

4) did you pre-wrap or not prior to boarding

5) did you check or carry on

6) any issues where security gave away the gift secret?

7) anything else related to gift giving when you are at sea on dec 25

Please do not post on giving items to staff as there are lots of posts on that

Thanks!!

I know you said he wasn't into jewelry, but if you are dressing up for formal night you still might consider some cuff links. My hubby has hobbies that are a far cry from 'black tie' like football, etc. but he really cherishes the cuff links with the logo of his favorite NFL team that I gave him on his first cruise. He really only wears them when we cruise but they were an excellent choice for the occasion.

Another idea would be tickets to a future event (concert, sports venue, etc.) - that way you can present the tickets (so he's getting the real gift) but there is nothing to lug around or take up space.

Edited by 2bthereagain
spelling

I agree with future tickets. Every year I find either a concert or comedian that my DH likes and get tickets as one of his gifts. That would b easy to pack and a nice surprise.

We normall stay local for Christmas but the one year we traveled we decided ahead of time to just bring 1 gift on trip to open. The rest waited til we got back.

could you do a treasure hunt around the ship and end at guest services and have another cruise booked???? I know the Pride doesn't have a future cruise desk. but you could see if they could book an open ended future cruise and hand him the confirmation.

How about booking an excursion that he would really love to do but might not be something you're crazy about but are willing to do for him? You could go on the internet and download a picture of the excursion and give it to him.

Or book a dinner at the steakhouse and then download a picture of the steakhouse from Carnival and give it to him with a nice holiday card.

I love the idea of future tickets to an event of some kind that is something you know he would to attend.

We are opening a few gifts before our cruise and afterwards. I'm only taking our Christmas stockings with us and some fun things to put in them. Mainly, the DH's and DS's favorite candy, cookies, and gum. Just some little fun stuff. I'll decorate the doors of our two cabins and that's it for us.

Hope you have a great cruise! This is our first at Christmas! Can't wait!:D

Husband and I are cruising Dec 20-26 out of Baltimore. His first cruise. We want to exchange gifts onboard and they can't be a picture of a gift had to be the actual gift. Here is where I need help!!!!!

Everything he is into (woodworking, tools, paintball, swords) I don't think I can bring on the ship. He's not the type to wear male jewelry, won't do the aftershave, Cologne, body wash thing. He owns more underware than nyc so that's out, he does not need a laptop or tablet. Ohh and he can't drink.

2) gifts that might work give the criteria above that you can get onto a ship legally without smuggling (already told him no to the new leather an he wanted)

Thanks!!

This will be our first x-mass cruise - and you think you have it hard? LOL I not only have DH but 2 boys, 17 and 11!!! We are carrying on a bag with just the kids gifts in it, along with wrapping supplies. I have a collapsible "tinsel tree", gummy stickers in the shape of x-mass lights for the mirror, and 4 dollar tree stockings with command hooks ready to go! I would just "hide" his gifts in a personal carry on and not pre-wrap; and if there is anything expensive, I would keep it on me.

Ok - so here are my ideas:

My hubby and I love to travel, so I always give him some kind of trip. I wrap an "invitation" in a box.

tie

belt

funny t-shirt

pjs

travel robe

binoculars

camera

thumb drive

new phone

gift cards to restaurants, shops or for a favorite activity

personal grooming items like new electric razor, gift sets

portable bluetooth speaker

brain puzzles

DVDs or CDs

stress toys like magnet scupltures

ball cap

candy or other treats

Hope that helps!

PS - you can also look on the gift shop and they will deliver things from the cruise ship. You could also pick up stuff in the shop once on board. Oh - how about a watch?

Edited by A&Jfamily

Along the lines someone else posted about an excursion - tix to Behind the Fun Tour.

Does it have to be something you can wrap and exchange right on Christmas Day? Because a lot of times we go on vacay over DH's birthday, and I'll tell him when he see's something he likes (but might not necessarily buy for himself), let me know and I'll buy it for him for his birthday. So he gets a fun birthday gift that will remind him of our trip. :)

Maybe at one of the ports you can find something there. Good luck!

I'm going on a Christmas cruise, and I'm just going to bring a bag and tissue paper in the bottom of my luggage and will put the gift in the bag. That will save time and luggage space on not having to wrap something. Wrapping requires tape, scissors, the long bulky roll of paper opposed to a bag and tissue paper that lies flat.

Carnival sells nice watches on board at reasonable prices. If you get one on board then you don't have to worry about bringing it with you. After you exchange gifts, you can then have it sized right on board for free.:cool:

I appreciate all of the assistance - you are all Santa's elves and I thank you for that!!! It does need to be something to wrap and exchange on the day itself - that's the ground rules so pics wrapped up won't work.

Thanks for all ideas, just a few comments....

1) tickets - great idea, looking into it. Kinda pushes the rules but I like it

2) Love, love love the treasure hunt idea as I like themed gifts

3) I think I'll suggest to him booking another cruise for me!! It's his first so not sure if he'll like it

4) Fitbits are out, but glad you said that - it gave me an idea for a gadget he might like

5) On the 25th we will have already done all the ports so excursions are out

6) I need to hit the dollar store for decorations thanks for the reminder!!!

7) Glad also for the binocular hint, told him to pack his pair

8) Watch was a brilliant idea - so good I listened to you 6 months ago for his birthday

9) grooming is an idea - he does want a subscription to dollar shave club - I forgot about that

10) DVD/CD is great idea!!! But, will he have any way to enjoy them or should I bring a small Walkman and ear buds for the CD & he just enjoys the DVD when he's home?

Thanks everyone.... Open to any more ideas and experiences :)

I like the idea of the tickets to a future event ... but ....

Even if I did that - I'd get DH a "set" of logo things I found in the ship's gift shop ... like a logo shirt, ball cap or visor, key chain, tiny key ring flashlight, mug and/or coffee cup. You could even add special shirts, coffee mug or other souvenirs from the ports you visit. It'd be stuff you could only get on that special Christmas Cruise.:)

Been married for 26 years. If I'm on a cruise, than the gift will be given prior the cruise. It does not need to be on the ship.

Now if it was my grand daughter, and she was worried about Santa Clause, than I would put some effort into it!

(getting shaving supplies from the shave club saves money, so it would be like giving back a gift!)

Edited by Havingfun2010

Thanks!!

Instead of bringing your gifts on, what about buying him something in one of the ports you visit?

When DH and I took our Christmas Cruise a few years ago we agreed to bring one "small" gift for the other. I took "small" as inexpensive so I got DH a hard back book he'd been wanting to read. He took "small" as small size .... and he got me a beautiful "small" Seiko watch :D:D

Our Christmas cruise was one of the best Christmases I'd ever had -

...I didn't put up a tree at home

...I only hung a wreath for our home outside décor

...I only made a single batch of our favorite holiday cookies

...As gifts that year, we gave everyone in the family gift cards bought in one quick stop at the grocery

...We had a wonderful cabin steward who did our room twice a day

...Wonderful servers brought our meals and/or cocktails to us

...After each holiday meal (as well as all the rest of the meals) - I anticipated the chefs cooking up all sorts of delights and after the meal we got up and strolled away from all the mess and dishes.

...We were in St Thomas on Christmas eve and San Juan Christmas Day so we could call family at home with our cell's for free.

I'm sure I'd miss family if we did this every year (DS is grown with kids of his own) but DANG !!!! It was one delightful cruise !!!!!!!!:D