Gluten Free Kids on Spirit

bpmalaskabound

Anyone cruised with gluten free kids? My 4 year old son is on a gluten free diet, and I am trying to figure out if I need to pack some gluten free options for him. Also, do you always have to order dinner the night before for gluten free? He changes his mind all the time, so I am not sure ordering the night before will work for him. Anything special offered gluten free that I should make sure to ask for? We are cruising Spirit this Saturday.

Edited by bpmalaskabound

I really don't have a answer re gluten free for kids - noticed no one has responded. I do know with adults they do a great job but kids can be difficult with choosing what to eat the day before!!

If it were me, I would definitely bring snacks and things he likes, just to be on the safe side. Hope someone more knowledgeable chimes in. :)

Did you contact the access desk? I don't have the email, but it seems to be posted here on a lot of the threads where dietary needs are discussed. I think if keeping to a strict diet is necessary, then they are your best option for things to go smoothly rather than "surprising" them with your needs on the ship.

Did you contact the access desk? I don't have the email, but it seems to be posted here on a lot of the threads where dietary needs are discussed. I think if keeping to a strict diet is necessary, then they are your best option for things to go smoothly rather than "surprising" them with your needs on the ship.

Our TA noted that he would need gluten free when we booked.

Check with you TA and see if she filled out the access desk form, a notation on the booking isn't sufficient. The form includes an area for additional comments about the specific needs. There is no guarantee they will be able to get specific items but if there are certain foods he will eat you can write it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check with you TA and see if she filled out the access desk form, a notation on the booking isn't sufficient. The form includes an area for additional comments about the specific needs. There is no guarantee they will be able to get specific items but if there are certain foods he will eat you can write it in.

Thanks for the advice. I just e-mailed my TA. Would it be too late to fill out the access desk form if she did not do that? We leave on Saturday.

Edited by bpmalaskabound

We just got off a cruise with my nephew and screwed up and didn't do the access desk form, we did it 1st cruise and forgot this time. My advice is attempt to get it in to access desk. If it is not in your record go to Guest Services when you board and ask that it be added and then follow up with Food and Beverage or Hotel Director at your cruise critic meet and greet. Was very difficult to get it included correctly for my nephew and took getting food/beverage director to address. Their process just isn't set up to include that information after boarding.

I don't know the circumstances around your gluten issue, but with the nut allergy the consequence is pretty severe. Be vigilant and if you feel like you're not talking to right person (eg I had an Asst waiter in one restaurant try to accept order and English wasn't great) so I politely asked for the manager (maitre d). They are technically the people who are supposed to take care of food allergy guests, but doesn't always work out well. We avoid the buffets except pizza and ice cream.

Don't stress, they do a good job you just have to be vigilant sometimes.

We just got off a cruise with my nephew and screwed up and didn't do the access desk form, we did it 1st cruise and forgot this time. My advice is attempt to get it in to access desk. If it is not in your record go to Guest Services when you board and ask that it be added and then follow up with Food and Beverage or Hotel Director at your cruise critic meet and greet. Was very difficult to get it included correctly for my nephew and took getting food/beverage director to address. Their process just isn't set up to include that information after boarding.

I don't know the circumstances around your gluten issue, but with the nut allergy the consequence is pretty severe. Be vigilant and if you feel like you're not talking to right person (eg I had an Asst waiter in one restaurant try to accept order and English wasn't great) so I politely asked for the manager (maitre d). They are technically the people who are supposed to take care of food allergy guests, but doesn't always work out well. We avoid the buffets except pizza and ice cream.

Don't stress, they do a good job you just have to be vigilant sometimes.

My TA just double checked to make sure it was noted on the booking, and it is on there. She also contacted the access desk to make sure they were aware. I don't see anything on their website for that form, and my TA said there was not a specific form for dietary needs. Just want to make sure it is done right.

My TA just double checked to make sure it was noted on the booking, and it is on there. She also contacted the access desk to make sure they were aware. I don't see anything on their website for that form, and my TA said there was not a specific form for dietary needs. Just want to make sure it is done right.

I believe I called the access desk at 1-866-584-9756. Making a note in your reservation is not the same IMO, that's what we did this second cruise. Your TA may think that's the way to do it, but the number above are the people who make it happen.

Edit: Sorry, just saw she called access desk. You're good.

Edited by txagfan

I believe I called the access desk at 1-866-584-9756. Making a note in your reservation is not the same IMO, that's what we did this second cruise. Your TA may think that's the way to do it, but the number above are the people who make it happen.

Thanks. I plan on giving them a call in the morning.

I forgot to call until about 2 weeks before the trip...That said, there are SO many people now limiting gluten that I think it's now pretty standard for them to have a good variety. Best bet is to stop by where you are going to eat the next day and order in advance. We only did this once La Cucina) but had good luck the rest of the trip as well!

There is an access desk form and it does include special dietary needs, it is item 2 on page 2. I've included screen captures of the form. The form is how the ship knows about the dietary need and how the restaurant manager etc are alerted. If you are leaving on Sunday I highly recommend calling the access desk yourself and asking for the form to be sent to you. Due to the short time frame they may not be able to bring onboard the ship items specific for your son versus standard gluten free items they have on board.

1721dea9743aa520bad1e828fbe9d43b.jpg

2ebb89fbef73acd1e3da4c72b69fd56f.jpg

03b459af20c96f653f5b7a0af9fce142.jpg

eda7d2f1c781a0d4ef304797db620cbc.jpg

7dbaad4e6ba4213d250f954751c2b061.jpg

a26800465d7a5b2db4ba08fb5d0ae79f.jpg

• 1 month later...

We've just booked the spirit and I have to have a g.f diet. I was just wondering how the o.p got on with her son?

The only time I've ever had gluten contamination on board once and that was NCL Escape. The waitress in the mdr looked at me like I was an alien when I mentioned my dietary requirements.