Dining before the Tattoo in Edinburgh

acctgtogo

We have tickets to the Tattoo and transportation to and from the ship. We will be spending the afternoon on the Royal Mile before the show. Do we need reservations for dinner somewhere - and any suggestions where - or are we better off skipping the reservations and eating early at a local pub? We've never been to Edinburgh so we are at a loss as to what works best.

Thanks!

Penny

There are lots of bars, restaurants and cafes on or just off the Royal Mile.I'd be happy to give you some suggestions if you tell me if you want a full meal or just a snack, then would you prefer something a bit more special or just cheap and cheerful food. Finally do you want British / Scottish or American style burgers etc or Indian / Chinese or similar?

In 2014 we ate at Vittoria On the Bridge Restaurant. We made a reservation at 6:00. We were a little late due to traffic, but they accommodated us and we had plenty of time to eat. We greatly enjoyed our meals. It seemed a bit odd to go to an Italian restaurant in Scotland, but it had such great reviews.

19 George IV Bridge

Edinburgh

EH1 1EN

Tel: 0131 225 1740

E-mail: ewaz@vittoriarestaurant.com

There are lots of bars, restaurants and cafes on or just off the Royal Mile.I'd be happy to give you some suggestions if you tell me if you want a full meal or just a snack, then would you prefer something a bit more special or just cheap and cheerful food. Finally do you want British / Scottish or American style burgers etc or Indian / Chinese or similar?

We would like a full meal, nothing big and fancy, but more than a snack - just an average dinner. As for food - British/Scottish or American would be best. Thanks for offering suggestions.

There are some upmarket restaurants in the area but most places understand that some of their early evening diners will be heading to the Tattoo so there's no dress code. I've jotted down three restaurants that fit your bill and won't cost the earth.

1. There's a restaurant called the Whiski Rooms in North Bank Street just round the corner from where the queue for the tattoo usually starts. It's got a Scottish menu and is very casual. Our Canadian friends enjoyed it also last year when they visited.

2. You can go up the stairs from The Grassmarket to the castle and there's a French Scottish restaurant in the Grassmarket called Petit Paris. There's tables outside if it's a nice evening and it's popular and reasonably priced.

3. Devil's Advocate is also on the Royal Mile close to the Castle, in a little close called Advocate Close (alley). It's mainly modern Scottish.

There are many other restaurants and also pubs that do food but it can get very busy before the Tattoo so that's why I've suggested places you can probably book in advance. You can check them out and find the websites on TripAdvisor

There are some upmarket restaurants in the area but most places understand that some of their early evening diners will be heading to the Tattoo so there's no dress code. I've jotted down three restaurants that fit your bill and won't cost the earth.

1. There's a restaurant called the Whiski Rooms in North Bank Street just round the corner from where the queue for the tattoo usually starts. It's got a Scottish menu and is very casual. Our Canadian friends enjoyed it also last year when they visited.

2. You can go up the stairs from The Grassmarket to the castle and there's a French Scottish restaurant in the Grassmarket called Petit Paris. There's tables outside if it's a nice evening and it's popular and reasonably priced.

3. Devil's Advocate is also on the Royal Mile close to the Castle, in a little close called Advocate Close (alley). It's mainly modern Scottish.

There are many other restaurants and also pubs that do food but it can get very busy before the Tattoo so that's why I've suggested places you can probably book in advance. You can check them out and find the websites on TripAdvisor

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will look into them and make our reservations as soon as they allow.