Dinner and Show Reservations...are they necessary???

A lot of the restaurants were completely booked out on the first day due to the UDP package on the Getaway in May. I would expect it would be the same in January since people still can get the UDP package. Even the Haven Concierge could not obtain reservations for Haven Guests to some restaurants. Cagney's and Le Bistro were the two most popular on our cruise and I saw people turned away from both. Modern was not quite as bad. I didn't go to Teppanyaki, so I can't tell you about that one. Ocean Blue and Raw bar was not full - strange because those are 2 of the best restaurants on the ship! We were in the Haven and ate up there sometimes which didn't require a reservation. We never made it to any of the MDR's, but they appeared BUSY especially The Tropicana Room which was very cool - we could see it from Cagney's and Moderno. I would definitely try that venue out next time!

Also, the spa on this ship is AMAZING! You can purchase your spa pass from the NCL website BEFORE your cruise if you are not in a spa cabin. It was well worth it for us!

We are cruising on the Getaway in January and staying in the Haven. I haven't made any dinner or show reservations. Do you think I need to?

We didn't have a problem getting everything we wanted on the Epic the day of but with UDP I don't know what to expect. :confused:

Thanks!

I'd make reservations now and then change as needed when you get on the ship.

Better to have at least something to work with.

-Sean

I was on the Getaway last week in a spa suite. I'm in severe post cruise withdrawal this week, lol. The specialties seemed busy all week, there was even a line to check in at La Cucina at 5:30 one evening. I had reserved most of my times before boarding, but the concierge was able to move my Le Bistro reservation to a different day for me. I tend to like to eat early, and I don't know if the move would have been possible for a later dining time. It was packed by the time I left the restaurant. My advice would be make reservations before you go and then try to switch things up on board if you just aren't feeling it. That way you won't completely be left out if your preferred restaurant is booked up.

I do have to say that service was just as good as ever. So the UDP doesn't seem to be affecting things in that regard. Also, I didn't have any problem getting a drink with the UBP. It's kind of nice not to have to sign a receipt and I think that May have made things easier for the bartenders and servers.

I was on the Getaway last week in a spa suite. I'm in severe post cruise withdrawal this week, lol. The specialties seemed busy all week, there was even a line to check in at La Cucina at 5:30 one evening. I had reserved most of my times before boarding, but the concierge was able to move my Le Bistro reservation to a different day for me. I tend to like to eat early, and I don't know if the move would have been possible for a later dining time. It was packed by the time I left the restaurant. My advice would be make reservations before you go and then try to switch things up on board if you just aren't feeling it. That way you won't completely be left out if your preferred restaurant is booked up.

I do have to say that service was just as good as ever. So the UDP doesn't seem to be affecting things in that regard. Also, I didn't have any problem getting a drink with the UBP. It's kind of nice not to have to sign a receipt and I think that May have made things easier for the bartenders and servers.

I was so close to booking a last minute cruise on Getaway leaving this weekend. I have vacation time but my daughter just got married so money is a little tight this Xmas and my hubby wanted to stay home. But the deals were great and the airfare was great. Wish I was going.....

We are cruising on the Getaway in January and staying in the Haven. I haven't made any dinner or show reservations. Do you think I need to?

We didn't have a problem getting everything we wanted on the Epic the day of but with UDP I don't know what to expect. :confused:

Thanks!

If you can not get decent times with on-line pre-bookings, have the concierge book as soon as you get on board. They will be able to tell you when the Captain's reception is to help deconflict.

If the weather is nice and people are using the waterfront seating, you may be able to walk in to many specialty restaurants. If the outside seating is closed, then walk-ins become harder.