Internet and cell phone use on Carnival and in Cozumel

Disneygirl80

Hi all,

Hubby and I are taking the 4 nighter out of New Orleans to Cozumel next month. I have no desire to check Facebook or email, but I would like to be able to text my in-laws to check on our girls and call them once or twice. What is the best way to do this?

We have AT&T and I looked at cruise packages on their website but Carnival doesn't seem to be included.

Any advice or pointers? Thanks.

I typically use the ship phone to call home. It's 1.99 a minute and works well. As far as in Cozumel my cell plan includes texting to/from Mexico. I have Verizon though. You should check with AT&T and see what is included on your plan. You may be able to add international calls/texts for a temporary period of time.

Hi all,

Hubby and I are taking the 4 nighter out of New Orleans to Cozumel next month. I have no desire to check Facebook or email, but I would like to be able to text my in-laws to check on our girls and call them once or twice. What is the best way to do this?

We have AT&T and I looked at cruise packages on their website but Carnival doesn't seem to be included.

The best thing to do is to call AT&T and ask them what type of international plans they have. You will most likely not be able to call/text on the ship without exorbitant rates, but when you get to Cozumel, your provider should have something that will work.

An alternative is to get a free messaging app. Some of them even include voice and video calls for free as well. One I know of but don't use is "Line". I think it is completely free for calling and messaging as long as the other people also have the app, so everyone would have to download it. You would need wifi to use it, and the ship's wifi isn't always the best so I can't tell you how well it would work, but it is an option if you want to try to save some money.

Sign up for Google voice. You can then install their app and make calls and sms over wifi. It's all fee.

I use Google hangouts and Facebook messenger in this same manner. Those two are platform independent (android and jos) and you can send messages, voice, and video.

Another very good option if you have the right phone is google fi. All their plans include cell (voice text and data) in 120 countries. http://Http://fi.google.com

Hi all,

We love Panchos Backyard, by ship, free Wi-Fi, last time there was #15, always enjoy.

Edited by texast518

Hi all,

Double check your AT&T plan. We have an ATT mobile share plan and I can add a "Mexico Roaming Package" to my plan which includes unlimited talk and text from Mexico to the US for no additional charges for the plan on any use. There is 1GB of data included, and data rates for beyond that, but doesn't sound like you need/want data, makes sense. You can read more here:

https://www.att.com/olam/detailFeatures.myworld?selectedFeaturesCat=grp12289269-olam

To me, the next best option is whats been suggested, if you need to make short 2-3 minute calls, the ship phone is an easy and not to expensive option, we've done this for similar reasons and others several times. ATT or any texting really FROM THE SHIP is the best "deal"....50 cents to send txts, free to receive...you can send alot of info in a single txt msg and get all the info u need back basically free.

Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,

You can add international calling to your plan for a month so you can use your phone in Cozumel. We just bought a coffee in Cozumel and hooked up to Wi-Fi and caught up with everyone real quickly on social media. If you have an iPhone and you're talking to a person who has an iPhone just using Wi-Fi will work fine with imessaging or FaceTime or FaceTime audio. You can also skype over wifi.

Edited by smyliecruising

Hi, I was also wondering since my daughter will be staying with my parents while we cruise! Have you figured anything out? I was looking into the internet packages & also the phone minute packages that the cruise ship offers.

I don't know what OP found, but I do know that with the social media package, you can iMessage. I believe that you need the highest package to support wifi calling. Facebook messenger works well with the social media package.