Good Heavens! No rye whiskey aboard the QM2?

dziwny

I was just perusing the menus for the Queen Mary 2 in anticipation of my crossing in mid May of next year, and I came to a horrendous realization! There is no mention of rye whiskey in any of the menus or drinks menus!

How can that be? How can you possibly board a ship in New York city and not have access to a classic Manhattan cocktail for an entire voyage? And before you say that you can make a Manhattan with bourbon (the horror!), I will kindly ask that you not blaspheme. Please read: http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/recipes/a3713/manhattan-drink-recipe/

if you are unconvinced of this incontrovertible truth.

Rye whiskey is the very essence of American whiskey - it is impossible not to have it in a prominent place in any bar! I would gladly bring a bottle (or three) to share with any true mixologist on board, but alas, Cunard will not allow this.

How do I get Cunard to recognize this incredible oversight and get a bottle of this veritable mother's milk of cocktails on board ship? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Check the bottles displayed in the various bars; I was on QM2 last fall and there was Rittenhouse Rye in the Commodore Club.

Also,:) all of the bars don’t have all the choices; for instance there was a greater variety of single malts in the Commodore Club than the Chart Room. As we say in New York-go figure. Enjoy your trip.:)

I do not think there is a problem in bringing your whiskey on board.

Thunder stolen.

Bring your favorite tipple with you. No subterfuge required, but I'd carry it on rather than putting it into a checked bag.

Their written policy doesn't appear to allow carrying on liquor, but in practice they won't question it.

You may or may not have any success getting a bartender to pour it for you, but you can enjoy it in your stateroom. That should alleviate any Manhattan withdrawals.

As others have mentioned, the menus are not a definitive list of what is available.

I can't help with Rye whiskey but they will certainly provide a Brandy Alexander in any of the bars even though it isn’t on any of the cocktail lists.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Sorry, Canadian Club is not a rye; it is a Canadian whiskey distilled like Irish, Scotch and American(think Seagrams or Imperial) though I haven’t seen Imperial in years-my dad was in the industry. Brown liquors became less trendy for a longish time but are now back. Most bars didn’t even carry rye - now thank Heaven it’s back. Hooray;)

Is it rye whisky by the Canadian definition or the US definition you believe will not be available? The Canadian may be 0 to 100% rye but are generally equally drinkable. The US definition is, I believe, made from at least half rye. What brands are you concerned about missing?

Canadian rye and Kentucky rye are not the same. Completely different taste.

Calliope-you will also need to bring the Peychaud bitters for your Sazerac. Although I didn't ask, I am willing to bet they don't have it onboard.

If it's not really busy the bartenders get into making different drinks as long as you can describe them. We had Boulevardier, Toronto and Martinez cocktails in the CC on our last crossings. They couldn't make my wife's favorite "Remember the Maine" as they had no cherry heering.

(Prior to the crossing we went to the bars in the Savoy and Langham Hotels in London as the bartenders there make really tasty and interesting drinks. Watch them work and you get a drink and a show at the same time.)

Edited by Q-step

By the By-

One of my local mixologists helped me develop a superb variation on the Perfect or Dry Manhattan-

It involves little or no sweet vermouth, mostly dry vermouth, rye whiskey, orange bitters and a twist of orange--superb!!!:D

See you in the CC January 3rd. ;)