Paying for seats on P&O Barbados flights

ChrisPBacon

If there are more than three centre seats, you can book any you like. But they won't let you book an aisle and centre. I know this because I always book on the first morning they are released, and on a Med cruise in September, customer services had to book to book an aisle and middle, after I made my case to them.

These most recent seats, I went on minutes after they were released. ALL the window seats were gone. There were two seats on a centre three, and at the back of Premium Economy, three rows of three centre seats. It wouldn't allow me to book ANY combination on those three rows. All it would let me do is to take those two seats on the bank of three.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If there are more than three centre seats, you can book any you like. But they won't let you book an aisle and centre. I know this because I always book on the first morning they are released, and on a Med cruise in September, customer services had to book to book an aisle and middle, after I made my case to them.

These most recent seats, I went on minutes after they were released. ALL the window seats were gone. There were two seats on a centre three, and at the back of Premium Economy, three rows of three centre seats. It wouldn't allow me to book ANY combination on those three rows. All it would let me do is to take those two seats on the bank of three.

I think the system is designed to not allow any reservation that leaves a single seat, updating as it goes along. Fortunately for my forthcoming flight. I got in early and got the seats I wanted, but just checking again now, you can't book two seats in a block of three. I'm still baffled why a fair number of seats are greyed out, though.

Perhaps the seats are greyed out for children or disabled people.

Those stupid the very top of the loyalty tree, have seats held for them. I have no issues with that.

We managed to pre book a middle and aisle seat together home from Barbados in November. Not thrilled at having to pay but really didn't want a stranger dribbling on my shoulder during the night (my hubby' s bad enough!!). What I don't understand is why people who really need to sit together won't pay. We had a bit of an altercation with a lady who wanted us to give up our seats so she could sit beside her partner who apparently had sleep apnia! It appeared to be our problem if he died during the night without her being able to give him a kick!!

She was allocated the window seat in our row and he the one behind. We eventually agreed to move along and took the window and aisle, but the people behind weren't for budging, so he had to stay where he was ..........he lived!! Not convinced this isn't the first time they've tried this in an effort to get good seats without paying. If they were genuine then I don't think they'll make the same mistake again!

We managed to pre book a middle and aisle seat together home from Barbados in November. Not thrilled at having to pay but really didn't want a stranger dribbling on my shoulder during the night (my hubby' s bad enough!!). What I don't understand is why people who really need to sit together won't pay. We had a bit of an altercation with a lady who wanted us to give up our seats so she could sit beside her partner who apparently had sleep apnia! It appeared to be our problem if he died during the night without her being able to give him a kick!!

She was allocated the window seat in our row and he the one behind. We eventually agreed to move along and took the window and aisle, but the people behind weren't for budging, so he had to stay where he was ..........he lived!! Not convinced this isn't the first time they've tried this in an effort to get good seats without paying. If they were genuine then I don't think they'll make the same mistake again!

I think you are right. I have witnessed 2 occurences where passengers expected the cabin crew to rearrange seating allocations so that they could sit together. I got the distinct impression that this was a well rehearsed tactic creating pressure on the crew, bringing up medical conditions when necessary and not surprisingly not helped by others who had paid for their seats not being keen to move.

As I said in a previous post our flight last year was changed at the last minute to a Dreamliner, as we had booked our seats as per a 767 we had window and aisle, on the Dreamliner we had window and the middle the aisle seat being left unallocated on both outward and return journey.

After we had taken off on the return journey we were approached by a fellow passenger who was sitting in the middle row of seats a couple of rows behind us and asked if would mind if he sat in the spare seat in our row to give his two travelling companions more room!.

My wife was far more polite in her answer than I would have been.

Going back to the person with medical problems, asking for certain seats. Surely, like myself, they would have filled in the medical forms after booking fly cruise. This way, the disability team would know the information before they reach the airport. I have had to do this for my flight in March. I flew with another airline a few months ago, and rang in advance to let them know of my disability . Even paid for a an upgrade. Don't expect something for nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to book a middle and window seat on the Dreamliner, could book the window seat but not the middle seat, despite it being blue. I phoned the flight department and was told some seats are kept for single passengers, however the advisor managed to override the system and we have the seats we wanted.

When booking a cruise with a one way flight are you given the option to purchase Business Class seats? And are the prices determined by the airline or have P&O secured discounted rates?

These are usually Charter flights rather than scheduled, and its usually either premium economy or standard economy. You can book them through the Cruise Personaliser when the seats are released.

Yes, they do as far as I know? I get the feeling that the money they would deduct (by not using their flight) is much less than your own flight would cost? Might be a false economy ultimately? But if money isn't an issue, then yes, you could go with Virgin, or similar who do have business class flights.

Dont quite understand why you had a problem , we booked Premium Economy on the Dreamliner from B,Ham next March, we wanted a window seat if possible but we forgot about the opening date for booking seats so next day went online and booked an aisle and a centre seat at the back of P.Ec and the same on return journey on the front row, we got an email last week saying they had changed our seats from 7e 7f to 7d and 7e not a problem as we are still sat together and have an aisle seat

Yes, they do as far as I know? I get the feeling that the money they would deduct (by not using their flight) is much less than your own flight would cost? Might be a false economy ultimately? But if money isn't an issue, then yes, you could go with Virgin, or similar who do have business class flights.

I don't think they make any deduction at all.

In the same way if you book 2 consecutive caribbean cruises you still pay the total of the 2 cruises without any deduction for the unused seats. Could be wrong but pretty sure i read it somewhere,

Not sure Chris, but you could be right? I do know when you're on the cruise and they ask you if you want to stay on for another two weeks, they knock around £300 off. But I think you are right if you book a back-to-back cruise.

Edited by ChrisPBacon

If all that's left are middle and aisle, I guess it's fine? But it's definitely their policy that you can't book a middle and aisle on a set of three, if the window seat isn't already taken.

Which is entirely logical, otherwise they would be stuck with the single seat by the window.

But they wouldn't. If the plane is full, then a couple who don't want to pay, will sit apart. That's the deal if you don't pay. If the plane is not full, then it shouldn't matter if the seat is left empty.

• 1 month later...

The problem with the premium cabin is that the seats are 2-3-2 and as many passengers travel in pairs it means that the window and aisle are booked first and the centre rows are then booked as a two next leaving an odd seat on the aisle.these odd seats then seem to get allocated at the airport meaning that couples are then seated one behind the other. Appreciate that many people travel in singles or groups but in my experience this is what has happened in premium economy on a number of fly cruises.