Time for Baths and something else?

Justabitoff

Some people were saying they were getting back to Tortola and 1pm... If we did that (hypothetically) what would we have time for before returning to the ship at 4:30? 3.5 hrs seems like plenty of time to sit on the beach for a bit.

I guess I need to research more about the Baths since I'm not sure I follow why they take so long to see.

Another Option: You could take the ferry from Tortola to Virgin Gorda and have longer at The Baths and the nice beach there.

People do this all the time.

It's not that difficult if you are comfortable enough to do things On Your Own.

Feel sure others from your ship will be taking the ferry there and back. You might want to mention it on your Roll Call. :)

LuLu

I've been to the Baths many times when I lived on St Thomas, one of my favorite places on earth, and was just there a few weeks ago on the Escape.

The Baths were terribly crowded, with just enough time to get through the trail & spend about 20 minutes at the beach. All in all, not a wonderful experience. It was very slow going with the crowd. If beach time is your objective, boat & snorkel to the baths or at the very least, go up & down the Devil's Bay trail.

Tortola also has many beautiful beaches, so there are other options. Take a taxi to Brewers or Cane Garden & skip the baths, take a private catamaran or excursion to Jost Van Dyke.

Edited by HarpHarp

I've been to the Baths many times when I lived on St Thomas, one of my favorite places on earth, and was just there a few weeks ago on the Escape.

The Baths were terribly crowded, with just enough time to get through the trail & spend about 20 minutes at the beach. All in all, not a wonderful experience. It was very slow going with the crowd. If beach time is your objective, boat & snorkel to the baths or at the very least, go up & down the Devil's Bay trail.

Tortola also has many beautiful beaches, so there are other options. Take a taxi to Brewers or Cane Garden & skip the baths, take a private catamaran or excursion to Jost Van Dyke.

We are going on the Escape on 19th - so stopping in Tortola. We have not been there before - there are 5 of us, myself, husband, 11 yr old boy, and father (65) and mother (69) - is taking the NCL excursion to the Baths worth it for us timewise etc to enjoy it? If not what is our other best option??

Also - considering St John beach/snorkel excursion in St Thomas.

Figured I'd post this here seeing you are just off Escape! Thanks in advance!!!!

Our port stop is from 8-5, and I was wondering if there's time to do the baths (seems to be high on everyone's list) and something else, maybe the beach for a couple hours. Is that doable? Which beach would make sense?

The ferry is about 30 min and $30pp round trip. The Baths are worth the effort as they are a unique formation, and Devils Bay is nice? You should easily be able to make the 9AM Speedy's ferry to Virgin Gorda. They have a 1PM return so that gives you 3 hours on the island which in my opinion isn't really enough. Especially since everyone on the ship excursion AND those who go on their own will be arriving at the Baths at the same time due to the short amount of time there.

However, if you want a little more time on VG Smith's ferry has a return at 2:15PM on weekdays (3PM on weekends). You can take Speedy's over and Smith's back, the cost is another $10pp or $20pp each way. That would give you plenty of time enjoy another beach on Virgin Gorda. A couple ways to possibly enjoy the Baths without the crowd you would otherwise find there by going directly there -

1) The driver could take you to Savannah Bay and pick you up an hour later and take you to the Top of the Baths. The drivers will work with you, and the fares are reasonable. Or

2) Drop you at the Top of the Baths and you walk to nearby Spring Bay and enjoy that nice beach before heading to the Baths. SB has a similar geography as the Baths as well as being a nice beach.

If you prefer to see a beach on Tortola you'll have to move with the crowd and return on the 1PM ferry. You could taxi to nearby Nanny Cay, or if you want one of the nicer beaches head to Brewers Bay or CGB which are another 10 min by taxi. You'd only have 1.5 hrs there realistically but it is doable. Return dis are more easily had at CGB which is the buiest beach with several beach bars.

The ferry is about 30 min and $30pp round trip. The Baths are worth the effort as they are a unique formation, and Devils Bay is nice. You should easily be able to make the 9AM Speedy's ferry to Virgin Gorda. They have a 1PM return so that gives you 3 hours on the island which in my opinion isn't really enough. Especially since everyone on the ship excursion AND those who go on their own will be arriving at the Baths at the same time due to the short amount of time there.

However, if you want a little more time on VG Smith's ferry has a return at 2:15PM on weekdays (3PM on weekends). You can take Speedy's over and Smith's back, the cost is another $10pp or $20pp each way. That would give you plenty of time enjoy another beach on Virgin Gorda. A couple ways to possibly enjoy the Baths without the crowd you would otherwise find there by going directly there -

1) The driver could take you to Savannah Bay and pick you up an hour later and take you to the Top of the Baths. The drivers will work with you, and the fares are reasonable. Or

2) Drop you at the Top of the Baths and you walk to nearby Spring Bay and enjoy that nice beach before heading to the Baths. SB has a similar geography as the Baths as well as being a nice beach.

If you prefer to see a beach on Tortola you'll have to move with the crowd and return on the 1PM ferry. You could taxi to nearby Nanny Cay, or if you want one of the nicer beaches head to Brewers Bay or CGB which are another 10 min by taxi. You'd only have 1.5 hrs there realistically but it is doable. Return taxis are more easily had at CGB which is the buiest beach with several beach bars.

Fixed some typos! And note that although the alternate return ferry gives you only another hour or 2 which is not a huge bonus, every additional hour really is big. For that excursion.

We are going on the Escape on 19th - so stopping in Tortola. We have not been there before - there are 5 of us, myself, husband, 11 yr old boy, and father (65) and mother (69) - is taking the NCL excursion to the Baths worth it for us timewise etc to enjoy it? If not what is our other best option??

Also - considering St John beach/snorkel excursion in St Thomas.

Figured I'd post this here seeing you are just off Escape! Thanks in advance!!!!

You're in port at Tortola for 8 hrs so you have time to visit the Baths, just depends on whether your group would enjoy that more active day, or a nice beach on Tortola along with an island tour, perhaps.

If the Baths is your choice, you can take the ship excursion or go on your own. Going on your own is much nicer when you have time to take advantage of using a driver to take you to different spots. On your day you don't have a lot of time in port so you'd probably go with the rest of the ship and take the 9AM ferry there, taxi to the Top of the Baths, walk down the path and through the boulders, relax at Devils Bay before walking back up, and taxiing back to the ferry, or perhaps Spanishtown where you can walk to the ferry from. So the ship excursion would be just as good, and Speedy's offers a package that includes the taxi fare on VG. The taxi fare of $4pp each way is the same regardless how you go.

So does a 1/2 hr ferry each way and perhaps 2 hrs at The Baths work? If not Brewers Bay, Cane Garden Bay, and Long Bay are all very nice beaches on Tortola, and there are drivers right at the port that offer excellent island tours at reasonable rates, some of which a beach stop and a tour of the oldest continually operating rum distillery in the Carib. You can also shop neat the port, we like Sunny Caribbee, a great little spice shop, and we enjoy lunch and shopping for clothes at Pusser's Pub, an English-style pub. Check their web sites for more info.

But we think Tortola is one of the most beautiful islands we've visited and we return there on land vacations, and I would suggest enjoying that island for the somewhat short time you have there and a more relaxing day for your group

Just a thought - enjoy:)

[EDIT] For your St Thomas stop we'd choose Sapphire Beach on STT for a beach and snorkel day as Trunk Bay on STJ gets quite crowded, the snorkeling isn't that great, and going to STJ adds another 2 hrs of travel time. But STJ is beautiful, and an island tour with beach stop is a nice day, perhaps consider Cinnamon Bay, or for the best snorkeling Waterlemon Bay which is more off the beaten path. You can go to STJ on your own via the Red Hook ferry to enjoy more time there and more flexibility at the same or lower cost than the ship excursion.

Edited by blue_water

Going to Virgin Gorda on your own is about half price & easy to do.

The Baths trail down, the way they have it set now requires a lot of scrambling through boulders & even crawling, if you are taller than me. I'm under 5 ft.:) The clerk at the excursion desk said it really should be marked as level 3 & I agree. She was surprised that my husband & I at 64 & 62 made it all the way down & back I don't remember that trail being such an obstacle course, but I arrived by boat many times. Some people were injured on the ship excursion & it was so crowded that there was much standing & waiting to get through the narrow areas.

Go by boat or go up & down the Devil's bay trail or take one of Blue Water's suggestions. The tour vendors will eventually catch up to the volume of passengers, but this trip really left my DH wondering what I was raving about.

I also concur with Blue Water on the St John trip. Very easy to do on your own & head for Cinnamon instead of Trunk Bay