Veterans Meet-ups and Appreciation Show on Conquest

Twinswithtwins

Just off Conquest yesterday. Wanted to let you know how well the Veterans are honored on this ship. You don't see much info on the Veteran meet-ups on Cruise Critic. Conquest had 'Reserved for Veterans' tables set up during Tea Time on the sea days. On other ships the meet-ups were just squeezed in some place like 'near' the coffee shop. Tea time is the perfect place! Whoever thought of this should get an extra day off. Hopefully all the ships will go to this format. Had 2 larger tables reserved right in the center. We filled 1 1/2 the 1st sea day but only a few showed up for the 2nd tea. The stories were flying! The 2nd day there was a specially decorated 'Flag' cake for us. Veterans AND anyone traveling with them are invited. There were younger 'just out' guys, quite a few older vets and everyone in-between (men and women). Go- it's nice.

They also scheduled a Veterans Appreciation show in the main show lounge led by the cruise director. I didn't make that one because it was on a Port day- but I was told it was nicely done. They invited all the vets up on stage and played the military branch songs.

We were on the Conquest back in May and went to the Veteran tea time. We had a great time and it really made us feel special to have our own tables. People came up to our table to thank all of us for serving.

I've been to other veterans get together on other carnival cruises and all it was just a room that we met in, was not very exciting.

My husband is a veteran. He was in the Coast Guard from 1967 to 1971. We have never heard about this from Carnival. We are booked on the Conquest for February 14, 2016 sailing for 6 days. How do we find out if they are offering any specials for him?

It's held during Tea Time, which is usually at 3:00 PM. The Tea Times are held during sea days. You don't need to sign up or anything just show up. The tables are clearly marked so you can just seat yourself or asked to be seated at the Veterans table. No need to show any proof that he is a veteran.

Please let your husband know that I greatly appreciate his service. I have great respect for the Coast Guard and worked along side of them while I was deployed to Iraq in 2007.

I am a Viet Nam vet and I always attend those non formal veteran meet ups. As was said, very few usually show up, but this is a wonderful idea. We are sailing on the Liberty in March, are they doing it on that ship also.

BTW, my DW always 'drags' me to those high teas, so this would be a great experience and one I would truly look forward to.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

It sounds like the Conquest Tea Time staff have their act together and I'm glad you had a good time. Out next cruise is on the Conquest, I'm hoping for the same.

But, my prior experiences at Tea Time were not as good. I'm not a vet, but my Dad is a WWII vet. They had a couple of tables set up on the Valor in April, but there didn't seem to be the comoradary there was on previous cruises when it was set up in a private room.

On the Sunshine this past September. The Tea Time staff on that cruise had NO IDEA what the "Veteran's Meet at Tea Time" was. There were no separate tables, no effort at all to seat people near each other. It was the biggest complaint I made in my e-mail survey.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone on the Valor recently know if they still have this or if it's more than just a table set aside?

The one on the Breeze a couple of years ago was worth attending. A bunch of us sat around long after the wives had left telling "war stories". And I met a guy who helped Vets get benefits whose name I was able to pass along to a couple of local friends having some tough rows to hoe breaking through the VA clutter.