Seattle/Vancouver opinions?

Joby

For those with past experience--which ship offers the itinerary with the most scenic ports/glaciers/wildlife and best times in port sailing R/T from Seattle/Vancouver?

We are 2 sisters traveling with our 76 yr. old Mom who has health/mobility problems.

Looks like the choices for R/T from Seattle/Vancouver are:

-Carnival Spirit

HAL Ryndam, Volendam, Zuiderdam, Veendam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Zaandam

-RCCL Serenade, Vision of the Seas

-Celebrity Infinity, Summit, Mercury

-NCL Star, Sun

What comments do you have on food/service, "bang for the buck"?

I think we are looking for the impossible-- the best itinerary for scenery/wildlife tours, sailing R/T from Seattle/Vancouver (for airfare reasons), decent food/service, OV cabin and the least expensive we can get to bundle together all of the above!

We have only been on Celebrity (Century, Horizon, Constellation), but are willing to try another cruise line and give a bit on the food/service area to get better itinerary and cheaper price than Celebrity.

Is this too vague to give opinions on?

We just returned from NCL STAR 9/25/05 and love the freestyle cruising opition for food. We found the price to be very good for the two of us. (married couple-mid 40's) we had an inside cabin. Very nice, plenty of closets and nice bathroom.

The Skagway white pass railroad is a great adventure, if booked thru NCL the train picks you up right off the dock. It has a bathroom and they offer water, but no snacks onboard, so bring your own. We travel juneau, skagway and ketichan. Ketichikan is a very easy place to roam around or rent a car, its only about 30 miles of an island! nice shopping and places to spend time right in town at all three locations. As far as wild life, I would suggest the Whale excursion in Juneau- best place to see them. we did see a bald eagle and many dophins, and harbor seals right from the ship. The NCL STAR offers great places that are never crowded to view the wildlife while cruising thr glacier bay and the inside passage. We also decided on this cruise due to airfare. we flew into Seattle round trip, using the quick shuttle bus to get us back from Vancouver to Seattle. The food was very good on the ship, and the crew was very attentive I thought to the elderly or handicap. please feel free to ask any questions-

vacationfool, can you give me an idea what the food on NCL might be comparable to--something like--Outback steak house, Applebee's, MCL or Laughner's cafeteria, McDonald's...?

What kind of hotel/motel might the rooms on NCL be comparable to--Hilton, Holiday Inn, Fairfield, Motel 6...?

Mom and sister are picky eaters and a bit more high maintenance than I.

Just trying to get some opinions as to what the different lines compare to that I might be able to reference to.

Itinerary is very important to us--scenery and wildlife being at the top.

If scenery is a priority, then it is better to sail out of Vancouver and inside Vancouver Island both ways. Some HAL sailings have 2 glacier sailings, excellent scenery. As for wildlife, most in this area is marine, tours are necessary for closer extended viewing. Most people just are not willing to invest the considerable time needed for extensive viewing from the cruise ship.

I find the food a couple notches down on all lines, but certainly very good.

Join me on a group CC cruise to Alaska-

http://cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=87

Hi Joby,

I would say from the posters here at CC that the consensus is that HAL is a click above the other mainstream cruise lines with regards to food and service.

While you won't find the "freestyle" dining on HAL that you find on NCL, by having set dining times and tables, your dining room steward gets to know your particular likes and dislikes. By the second night he will know your name, if you want cream in your coffee, sugar in your tea, etc.

With your mother and her mobility issues, make sure that you inform all tour operators of your needs well in advance. Most can accomodoate.

Have a great trip.

Sam

Hi Joby,

I would say from the posters here at CC that the consensus is that HAL is a click above the other mainstream cruise lines with regards to food and service.

While you won't find the "freestyle" dining on HAL that you find on NCL, by having set dining times and tables, your dining room steward gets to know your particular likes and dislikes. By the second night he will know your name, if you want cream in your coffee, sugar in your tea, etc.

With your mother and her mobility issues, make sure that you inform all tour operators of your needs well in advance. Most can accomodoate.

Have a great trip.

Sam

Archived