Booking Carnival using Verizon Points?

mitsugirly

Has anyone ever done this before and if so, what was your experience doing this?

I was comparing prices booking using my Verizon points versus booking on Carnivals site and there seems to be a few hundred dollars difference using the points. I'm all for saving, but not at the expense of having issues.

I know everyone on here talks about buying the Carnival gift cards (and I have done it plenty of times before myself) and never had a problem. But I don't think I have ever read anyone mention actually booking the cruise using the points. :confused:

Yes, when you are logged into your Verizon account and go to "Travel" instead of "gift cards", "cruise" is one of the areas. You can book a cruise with them using some of your points. The points for each cruise/category is determined by them (not like _____ points will give you $___ off and so on).

But, it is still cheaper than booking with Carnival. I just don't know how well it works and wondered if anyone has done this before on here to give me some feedback. I'm finding that it's saving about an average of $200 per room according to their prices and upgrading is pretty cheap ($39 to upgrade from interior to a Deluxe OV or $89 to upgrade from interior to Cove Balcony and so on). :)

Has anyone ever done this before and if so, what was your experience doing this?

I was comparing prices booking using my Verizon points versus booking on Carnivals site and there seems to be a few hundred dollars difference using the points. I'm all for saving, but not at the expense of having issues.

I know everyone on here talks about buying the Carnival gift cards (and I have done it plenty of times before myself) and never had a problem. But I don't think I have ever read anyone mention actually booking the cruise using the points. :confused:

From my experience it was like booking through a big online TA. You can still go to Carnival's website to access your booking but if you want to make changes you have to go through the TA Verizon uses. I forget who it is. If you're content with the room you pick when you book I'd say this is a great way to book. I'm not sure how price drops and all that work with them as once I book I pay it off and don't check if the price drops.

You're right it is a big savings in cost and didn't seem to use as many points as if I bought GCs through them.

To people who didn't know about booking travel through Verizon. When you get to the rewards site there's like 4 or 5 tabs at the top that say things like Merchandise, Sweepstakes, Giftcards, and lastly travel. If you select travel you can pick from cruises, flights, hotels, and maybe rental vehicles(I forget if that's there). Once you pick what you're interested in you search like you would on any online TA until you find what suits your needs.

I have seen it and it is cheaper but I haven't tried it because I figured I couldn't get price drops.

I checked the price and it does match Carnivals price real time and then you get money off using points. However once you buy the it I have no clue as to how to get price drops.

I have used it for rental cars and have gotten great prices.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mine doesn't say travel. It only says hotels.

Once you sign into your Verizon account, you have to click on the redeem now points, which will take you to the main page to redeem.

Up at the top, you will see all the categories. If you hover over "Travel" it will drop down below it all the categories as shown below, which you will see Cruises

travel_zpswa2elxxw.jpg

That will take you to a page that you put in the information: dates, cruise lines, ships and so on:

search_zpswi78sosd.jpg

From my experience it was like booking through a big online TA. You can still go to Carnival's website to access your booking but if you want to make changes you have to go through the TA Verizon uses. I forget who it is. If you're content with the room you pick when you book I'd say this is a great way to book. I'm not sure how price drops and all that work with them as once I book I pay it off and don't check if the price drops.

You're right it is a big savings in cost and didn't seem to use as many points as if I bought GCs through them.

So you are still able to view your booking from Carnivals website right? Do you print your documents and luggage tags using Carnival just as if you had booked with them?

We are sailing during Spring Break and in my previous experience, there were never any price drops...the prices have always went up, so I imagine that that's something I wouldn't have to worry about for this cruise.

Were you able to use any of your gift cards purchased from Verizon to pay?

Did you receive anything in the mail from this place?

I no when you do a dummy booking, it states that the cruise is non-refundable and can't be canceled. But then when you read up on it on the site, it states cancellations and so on are whatever the cruise line has established. So it's confusing. Not that I plan on canceling or anything, but thought it was weird.

I used my points and saved a few hundred. I booked and paid my deposit online. The website doesn't allow you to pay with gift cards so you have to call the travel agency that deals with Verizon.

So are you saying that once you book you CAN still use your gift cards (whether it be from Verizon or store bought) to pay for it? They do accept them correct?

Uh-oh. You guys are talking about a travel agency. Maybe this conversation should be taken offline to another site? I know CC is very strict about discussion of travel agencies.

Just trying to keep everyone out of trouble...

Not really. Verizon points usage, just like using the points to purchase the gift cards. No agency has been named or whatever they call it when you use the points with Verizon.

So you are still able to view your booking from Carnivals website right? Do you print your documents and luggage tags using Carnival just as if you had booked with them?

We are sailing during Spring Break and in my previous experience, there were never any price drops...the prices have always went up, so I imagine that that's something I wouldn't have to worry about for this cruise.

I no when you do a dummy booking, it states that the cruise is non-refundable and can't be canceled. But then when you read up on it on the site, it states cancellations and so on are whatever the cruise line has established. So it's confusing. Not that I plan on canceling or anything, but thought it was weird.

So are you saying that once you book you CAN still use your gift cards (whether it be from Verizon or store bought) to pay for it? They do accept them correct?

I called the TA and they used my gift cards from Verizon and my other Carnival giftcards. Your booking will be on the Carnival website, so I already registered online.

First off, thank you for explaining and showing pictures of the verizon rewards site earlier. I haven't been there in about a month and I was explaining from memory.

To your questions. Yes I still used Carnival's website. You get a booking number and then you go to Carnival's site. Go to the manage tab and click on "My Cruises" Once on my cruises there should be somewhere to add a cruise. This is where you add the booking number and all your documents and online check in are the same as always. The only difference you'd notice is if you contact Carnival to change rooms. This is my experience booking this way so things may have changed.

I didn't even think about using Gift Cards. I was already getting more than the 10% off with using less points then if I bought the GCs to pay for a cruise.

I believe I did but it was about a year ago so I can't say for sure.

Yeah how it states everything is strange. I knew I was going to go so I didn't read it to it too much. I just had a feeling Verizon wasn't going to screw me over on this cruise and potentially loose all my accounts and my families accounts doing something shiesty. I just paid for the cruise and bought insurance in the case something came up and I had to cancel.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will hopefully know and/or remember the answer.

What's the draw? You still pay for the gift cards...the points only save you 10%. I have a lot of points and would rather a free gift card. Don't want to pay $90 for a $100 gift card. I don't get it????:confused:

Why would you not want to save $10? I don't understand that myself. Every little bit helps and with me buying a good $3k in cards, I'm saving myself $300. Then when you purchase using a travel cc, which gives you cash back, you save even more. The question is why not? :p

First off, thank you for explaining and showing pictures of the verizon rewards site earlier. I haven't been there in about a month and I was explaining from memory.

To your questions. Yes I still used Carnival's website. You get a booking number and then you go to Carnival's site. Go to the manage tab and click on "My Cruises" Once on my cruises there should be somewhere to add a cruise. This is where you add the booking number and all your documents and online check in are the same as always. The only difference you'd notice is if you contact Carnival to change rooms. This is my experience booking this way so things may have changed.

I didn't even think about using Gift Cards. I was already getting more than the 10% off with using less points then if I bought the GCs to pay for a cruise.

I believe I did but it was about a year ago so I can't say for sure.

Yeah how it states everything is strange. I knew I was going to go so I didn't read it to it too much. I just had a feeling Verizon wasn't going to screw me over on this cruise and potentially loose all my accounts and my families accounts doing something shiesty. I just paid for the cruise and bought insurance in the case something came up and I had to cancel.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will hopefully know and/or remember the answer.

Thanks so much for your explanations and time. I really appreciate it. It sounds like it's a good thing. I'll definitely have to weigh my options using them. :)

I actually checked but for my cruise the cost is higher. Booking through Carnival using a special we got free upgrades and onboard credit. That makes the Verizon cost higher. But I still use the verizon gift cards to save more.

Yea, I imagine that could be with any cruise. I did check mine several times using several different options and it always came out a few hundred $$ cheaper than booking with Carnival or a TA.

I didn't use Verizon to book. I booked through Carnival paying the deposits and paid off the rest with the Verizon gift cards and then bought more for our on board account. I didn't have any issues. Also, if you have Bank of America check your offers, my husband and I both applied for their vacation card and each got $200 travel credit saving us an additional $400 off our cruise.

I didn't use Verizon to book. I booked through Carnival paying the deposits and paid off the rest with the Verizon gift cards and then bought more for our on board account. I didn't have any issues. Also, if you have Bank of America check your offers, my husband and I both applied for their vacation card and each got $200 travel credit saving us an additional $400 off our cruise.

Yep, we have done that before too using the gift cards to pay for the cruise. We do have a card with BOA (although it is a NCL card, but we still use it for Carnival :p) and get tons of benefits with it and "free" money. :D

So many tricks if you look for them! We got a steal on this most recent cruise as it is, total for 3 in a balcony 7 days came to $1135 (came up under our past guest promotions, we are normally Galveston cruisers but opened up our search to New Orleans). Then we saved the $400 in Vacation credit cards and about $50 on Verizon cards for the payoff. I'm going to enjoy it because I am sure nothing like this will happen again! Based on your review we are going to Little French Key in Honduras, I can't wait! Oh and also based on your review we are going to Playa Mia in Cozumel. I had been there before and hated it but after reading your review and seeing the new waterpark we made reservations. My five your old will love it. Thanks for all your fantastic reviews!!

Yep, we have done that before too using the gift cards to pay for the cruise. We do have a card with BOA (although it is a NCL card, but we still use it for Carnival :p) and get tons of benefits with it and "free" money. :D

So many tricks if you look for them! We got a steal on this most recent cruise as it is, total for 3 in a balcony 7 days came to $1135 (came up under our past guest promotions, we are normally Galveston cruisers but opened up our search to New Orleans). Then we saved the $400 in Vacation credit cards and about $50 on Verizon cards for the payoff. I'm going to enjoy it because I am sure nothing like this will happen again! Based on your review we are going to Little French Key in Honduras, I can't wait! Oh and also based on your review we are going to Playa Mia in Cozumel. I had been there before and hated it but after reading your review and seeing the new waterpark we made reservations. My five your old will love it. Thanks for all your fantastic reviews!!

Aww thanks. I hope you have a wonderful time at both LFK and Playa Mia. Hopefully there won't be a lot of ships in port the day you are there and you'll get to enjoy Playa Mia without a lot of people like we did. :)

I realize you save money by booking verizon and using points.

What I don't understand is one you booked through verizon how do you handle price drops?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There was a thread on here a good while back when people started discovering these Verizon points and uses for them with Carnival cruises, and the person booked a cruise itself through Verizon without issue. BUT they never saw any price drops as the discount remained lower than any drop in price by booking directly.

I did a mock booking on Verizon last week for the Vista. It defaults to early saver pricing and was about $320 lower per cabin using about 20,000 points for the 4 of us, which was no big deal since I rarely drop below 85,000. Besides, I doubt these days that one could book ES on the Vista and get over $300 in price drops. Seems like a good deal to me.

There was a thread on here a good while back when people started discovering these Verizon points and uses for them with Carnival cruises, and the person booked a cruise itself through Verizon without issue. BUT they never saw any price drops as the discount remained lower than any drop in price by booking directly.

I did a mock booking on Verizon last week for the Vista. It defaults to early saver pricing and was about $320 lower per cabin using about 20,000 points for the 4 of us, which was no big deal since I rarely drop below 85,000. Besides, I doubt these days that one could book ES on the Vista and get over $300 in price drops. Seems like a good deal to me.

20,000 points isn't bad at all for 4 people to save $320 per cabin. It's actually a fantastic deal.

Buying the Giftcards and booking with Carnival for 20,000 points would only save $200.