What type of island is Barbados?

cctimmom

Best known for swimming with the turtles. Charter boats will take you to various spots to snorkel and large turtles swimming all around. Usually includes a lunch and and drinks. Look on the forum for recommendations We were doing a land vacation and the charter we used would not take cruise ship passengers due to time constraints.

All we've done in Barbados is an island tour. It has nice beaches and we've visited a couple of those. The island itself is very beautiful, so my preference is to spend beach time someplace that's not as scenic.

There are some spectacular vistas overlooking the east coast. Bathsheba is a great photo op with huge boulders along the shore. There's a colonial fort that has great views of Bridgetown and the southern half of the island.

If you're bold, you can't rent a car and drive on the wrong side of the road. The roads are in good shape and it's pretty easy to navigate. There are lots of drivers outside the terminal who will take you on a tour.

It's one of my favorite islands. Try the flying fish sandwich!

Is it a "do a tour of the island" type of place (what are the must see places)? Or "best beaches" island (any recommendations)? Or maybe out on the water (a sail, snorkel tour)?

As others have correctly noted, there is LOTS here to enjoy on Barbados. Much depends what you personal seek/like, plus what other islands you are visiting during your cruise. As connected below, I have posted a large number of pictures from our couple of different days on this charming and historic island. You cannot do it "ALL" during just one day here!! Too big and diverse.

Unlike some Caribbean island, Barbados is not a "one trick pony" with only one or two options to consider. It has it all: shopping, beaches, food, sailing, golf, nature/landscapes, interesting architecture, music, etc. Below are just a three of my visuals sample as "proof" for why you will love Barbados.

For "Barbados: Our Pix's, Experiences Feb./2015!", check out this posting and feel free to ask any follow-up questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262999

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 33,219 views for these postings.

Before boarding the ship, we did a three-hour private tour with a Barbados cab driver. He took us all over this historic and scenic island, including to the top where the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea dramatically come together. Is this location scenic? Does my wife’s smile say it all?:

Jan15SCStartA18_zps3ohbqq6l.jpg

Here are two more highlights from our three-hour private tour around Barbados. This includes my wife loving this stop at one of their top beaches and from visiting their historic St. James church. :

Jan15SCStartA21_zpsqwwe5utx.jpg

Jan15SCStartA24_zps8jpsbxj6.jpg

Depending on how long you are in port, you could do all 3 options. Maybe take a tour via taxi in the morning and have the taxi drop you off at Carlisle bay where you can have beach time and snorkel with the turtles. Or you can do the opposite. When I was there, we went to the beach and then did a 2 hour tour via taxi before going back to the ship. There's advantages to both. The taxi tour is more affordable in the afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...