Staggered boarding time expands...Dream & Elation

Elaine515

John just posted..

John Heald

13 mins ·

Good morning once again.

As you know we have been underway with our staggered check in system for ships sailing out of Galveston for some time now. I know change is never always easy to accept there is no doubt that it has for the most part eased congestion, lines have diminished and the whole process has been made much easier.

So with that in mind we will be moving to a staggered check in system for the brilliant port of New Orleans for the Carnival Dream and carnival Elation commencing January 23rd & 24th f. The goal is to open up our window selection by the end of today and those guests booked on cruises from the Big Easy will receive an e mail from Carnival or their travel agent on how top proceed. Just a few reminders then if that’s OK.

Firstly you should go to check-in online please at http://www.carnival.com/Onlinecheckin, enter your booking number, last name, date of birth, ship and sail date to access Online Check-In.

You must arrive at the cruise terminal within the 30 minute check-in window you selected. Check-in windows will be strictly enforced so that we can minimize wait times in the terminal. Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or “Faster to the Fun” must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing. Departure times can be found on your boarding pass.

Now one of the most asked questions with this is:

If I am traveling with other cabins and we have different check-in times, can we still check-in together?

The answer is to please go back to the On-Line check in tool to select a window that fits everyone’s needs. Otherwise, check-in windows will be strictly enforced and guests will only be allowed in the terminal according to their assigned time

And yes, VIFP, Faster to the Fun guests can board at their leisure.

We will be moving to staggered embarkation in other home ports to and while I don’t have a specific date yet for those I will of course let you know.

Edited by Elaine515

This may be a good change, but it will certainly change the way I book a cruise. I will not book if I cannot secure an early check in time. I am paying for this day and boarding after 1pm would be unacceptable.

Has anyone seen the available boarding times?

Boarding time slots started at 10:30 am on my Thanksgiving Triumph cruise. The check in was painless and very very easy. No long waits and not hot waiting areas with tons of noise from everyone talking. I enjoyed the staggered boarding procedure in Galveston and look forward to it again in September on our next Carnival cruise.

This may be a good change, but it will certainly change the way I book a cruise. I will not book if I cannot secure an early check in time. I am paying for this day and boarding after 1pm would be unacceptable.

Well you will be in quite the qunadry because you cannot select a check in time until after you book and complete the online check in process.

So, you're going to cancel your cruise if you can't get an early check-in time?

Thanks for posting. We are FTTF but I went ahead and registered for the first slot open (10:30). Of course, since no one is on my roll call for July 24, right now, I have the ship to myself!

kjunea, Why not pick the last slot available and let someone else have the earlier time slot since it doesn't matter what time you show up? I know being Platinum, when it's my turn to choose, I'm picking the last time slot available...

kjunea, Why not pick the last slot available and let someone else have the earlier time slot since it doesn't matter what time you show up? I know being Platinum, when it's my turn to choose, I'm picking the last time slot available...

Elaine, dont be so logical! Dont you realize a double-fisted priority is something even MORE to brag about?

I agree! I am platinum and doing a back to back to back on triumph in February. Even though I'm going to already be on the ship during embarkation for the second two cruises the site still asked me what time I wanted to check in so I chose the last boarding time on all the cruises because I didn't want to take up an early slot that somebody else might need. Since I don't intend to leave the ship other than to turn in my customs form I will definitely be the first person on the ship for the second two cruises.

Why not just choose the time that you actually plan to arrive. Otherwise, it defeats the purpose of planning for the arrival of guests. Plus, there is always the chance that an ill-informed employee will not allow you to enter the port or maybe the port area if you choose 2:00 and show up at 11:00.

That is what some folks don't seem to get....If Carnival is making us pick a time too than it means they need to know when we are coming. If we all signed up for 3pm and then we all show up at 10:30 than nothing has been accomplished. I am picking the time I intend to show up which will be between 10:30-11:00.

Why not just choose the time that you actually plan to arrive. Otherwise, it defeats the purpose of planning for the arrival of guests. Plus, there is always the chance that an ill-informed employee will not allow you to enter the port or maybe the port area if you choose 2:00 and show up at 11:00.

That is what some folks don't seem to get....If Carnival is making us pick a time too than it means they need to know when we are coming. If we all signed up for 3pm and then we all show up at 10:30 than nothing has been accomplished. I am picking the time I intend to show up which will be between 10:30-11:00.

Exactly. That is why I picked the time I plan on being there even though I have FTTF. Probably the reason why Carnival is making EVERYONE pick a time. No matter what your status is. It makes it easier for the workers.

I received an email from Carnival about the new boarding procedures for our July 2nd sailing from Port Canaveral.

We are cruising out of Port Canaveral in April and haven't gotten an e-mail yet. Did it say when they would start this in Port Canaveral?

You pay for the number of nights not days.

I really can't believe the amount of whining over something so trivial.

I think for some it is the fear of the unknown since the majority of the folks upset about it haven't even tried it and are assuming it will be awful. :eek:

You pay for the number of nights not days.

I really can't believe the amount of whining over something so trivial.

I am just off the Elation (Dec 3). The only problem I had boarding (and I had FTTF) was the little old lady that waited on me that was as slow as an old mule. Also, in NOLA, FTTF waits with the general crowd and there seemed to be a bunch of FTTF. Generally I buy it though for a quick debarkation.

Exactly. That is why I picked the time I plan on being there even though I have FTTF. Probably the reason why Carnival is making EVERYONE pick a time. No matter what your status is. It makes it easier for the workers.

Okay I can see your point but I will already be on the ship for two of my cruises but they still asked me when I wanted to board the ship! So there won't be a problem if somebody takes the early boarding time since I won't be in anyone's way for those two cruises so I think I was best to choose the last boarding time.

I am just off the Elation (Dec 3). The only problem I had boarding (and I had FTTF) was the little old lady that waited on me that was as slow as an old mule. Also, in NOLA, FTTF waits with the general crowd and there seemed to be a bunch of FTTF. Generally I buy it though for a quick debarkation.

Kat, how many minutes would you guess it took from the time you got to the port til the time you were on board with the FTTF? I am sailing with Elation in February with my sister who has 2 young kids and we got FTTF in the hopes it would make the boarding process a little less painful!

Okay I can see your point but I will already be on the ship for two of my cruises but they still asked me when I wanted to board the ship! So there won't be a problem if somebody takes the early boarding time since I won't be in anyone's way for those two cruises so I think I was best to choose the last boarding time.

I think what you are doing is very sweet and considerate. But I'll be honest, I live less than an hour away from the port. I'm way to excited and if the hubby would let me, I would be camped out by the door. This will be my first cruise with a balcony and I get him to myself without work calling. I admire what he does (CSI) but he is mine for one week. So that is why I picked the earliest I could. You really are being sweet and at least with the back to back you can enjoy the sights. I LOVE cafe de monde. Grew up going there. Messy but oh well. Enjoy your cruises. I'm jealous :) .

Why not pick the last slot available and let someone else have the earlier time slot since it doesn't matter what time you show up? I know being Platinum, when it's my turn to choose, I'm picking the last time slot available...

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of controlling the numbers in the facility? A simple example: you go into a restaurant and you see numbers on the wall, "Maximum capacity 200". This is what they are trying to do. How does anyone showing up at a time they didn't choose help? You can fit only so many people in the room at one time. Yes, it does say priority and FTTF show up when you want, but if you have a clue what time you are going to show up, just pick it on the screen. It is not helping anyone out by leaving the earlier times available. When the capacity is reached, all over the allowed number will be waiting outside until the line moves anyway.

I do have FFTF. I choose the time I plan on coming. I know (most)everyone wants to get on the ship ASAP, but you can only fit so many sardines in the can at once!

Just my .02 cent and humble opinion.