Staggered boarding time expands...Dream & Elation

Elaine515

Is it only me or does anyone else see the irony in the above scenario?

Carnival used to send out letters trying to spread the check in and embarkation crowd through out the turnaround. Everyone said don't listen to the letter go when you want. So Carnival began the staggered embarkation and now they are sending letters out say basically " I don't care what time you check in, boarding won't begin until....."

I can only think that there must be something going on that they have committed to a time for embarkation to begin.

And to Robfromcharlottesville there is no way I would keep that check in time. I would be looking for a 12:30 to 1:00 check in time. Arrive at port, go through security and by the time you are on board your room is ready. Use the money you saved on FTTF for a late breakfast after you check out of the hotel.

I doubt that. The port docking time is still listed as 8AM, as it is every cruise. The turn over time to ready the ship will be the same. If the 12:30PM time is going to be the actual boarding time, I do not see how the new staggered check-in will alleviate terminal crowding.

I am on the same cruise and I expect chaos and unhappy fellow cruisers.

I'm not suggesting the port docking time would necessarily change. I'm only suggesting that the crew MAY need more time to prepare the ship for the Jan 24th cruise. I don't like it either.

Has anyone sailing Jan 31 or beyond on the Dream received an email saying the Dream will not board until 12:30???? If so, please respond on this thread.

I'm not suggesting the port docking time would necessarily change. I'm only suggesting that the crew MAY need more time to prepare the ship for the Jan 24th cruise. I don't like it either.

Has anyone sailing Jan 31 or beyond on the Dream received an email saying the Dream will not board until 12:30???? If so, please respond on this thread.

I asked that in another thread and got no answer. Is this the normal time CCL states as the boarding time, but the actual time is more like 11AM?

FWIW, I was speculating that it takes no longer to get the Dream ready after a 10 day cruise. I have not read any reports of other NOLA cruises having 12:30PM boarding. Hey, it will be what it will be. I do feel bad for parents with kids that will check-in by 10:30AM but sit in a crowded terminal until after noon.

Is it only me or does anyone else see the irony in the above scenario?

Carnival used to send out letters trying to spread the check in and embarkation crowd through out the turnaround. Everyone said don't listen to the letter go when you want. So Carnival began the staggered embarkation and now they are sending letters out say basically " I don't care what time you check in, boarding won't begin until....."

I can only think that there must be something going on that they have committed to a time for embarkation to begin. [...]

It has that feel to it. It may be a new strategy to force boarding passengers to arrive after noon, and the first cruisers to get the "full affects" of this new approach will make it clear: "Do not show up before noon".

OTOH, this may just be a nothing. The 12:30pm time is just the outlier, and boarding will star an hour or more earlier.

One can only hope that CCL does start boarding by 11AM or so and not the published 12:30PM. I will not be happy if that is the case, and passengers with children that are left sitting for hours will be even less pleased.

Funny thing about kids is they pretty much are themselves no matter where they're at so if they feel like playing whether it's in the cruise ship terminal or on board the ship they're going to do that. I feel more concern for the elderly who are possibly very weak, tired, or in pain having to stand in long lines or sit for long periods. I would also think it is much more difficult for parents of disabled children such as those with Autism. For most parents just bringing some games/toys and snacks is usually sufficient to keep a child entertained for quite a while.

Thanks for the heads up! Tomorrow I'm booking a trip on the Carnival Dream out of New Orleans, sailing 06/12/16.

This is my second cruise, and I'll admit that the one part I wasn't looking forward to was check in and boarding. But I'm an optimist, so I until I hear otherwise, I'm going to look forward to an improved boarding process.

And choose a fairly early boarding time, so I can have beignets and coffee with my husband, then get on board the ship! I loved sitting by the rail and knitting or working in my journal. Relaxing and exciting, all at the same time!

The way I see it, if I can't get a time quite as early as I would like, I would rather spend a little more time relaxing at a cafe or by the river in New Orleans instead of spending more time standing in line!

I am sailing on the Dream on the Jan 31 cruise. Received the e-mail you described stating that boarding starts at 12:30. We have FTTF and selected the 10:30-11:00 check-in time, not that it makes any difference.

Seems that not boarding til 12:30 negates the staggered check-in potential to alleviate over crowding. If they start checking people in starting at 10:00, and keep adding more people to the terminal every half hour, it's going to be pretty crowded by 12:30. Makes you wonder if this is a psychological move by Carnival. Announce via e-mail that boarding starts at 12:30, then actually start it around 11:30. Everyone happy!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So now that the staggered boarding has been in effect for a week or so, can anyone tell us how it went for you? I have the 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. slot in 11 days. There are 2 in our group that cant not stand for long periods of time. I am hoping that we do not have to wait until 12:30 p.m. to board the ship. J

My only reservation is that I know for a fact that in New Orleans, once you're through security and checked in, everyone is given a zone # and sits in a huge room. (VIFP'S segregated into their lounge, of course). Everyone waits to board and the room gets more and more full...until there is standing room only. The last couple of cruises I have been on (we go once a year), the room had completely filled before boarding started, well after 12:00 and closer to 1:00. While the staggered boarding may make getting through security, etc, more efficient, it won't help anyone get on the ship any sooner. From what I can tell, no new cruisers can get on until the previous sailing has debarked. Being on the room filled with people makes me incredibly anxious, (don't like crowds) so I think we will wait until after noon for our next cruise.

My only reservation is that I know for a fact that in New Orleans, once you're through security and checked in, everyone is given a zone # and sits in a huge room. (VIFP'S segregated into their lounge, of course). Everyone waits to board and the room gets more and more full...until there is standing room only. The last couple of cruises I have been on (we go once a year), the room had completely filled before boarding started, well after 12:00 and closer to 1:00. While the staggered boarding may make getting through security, etc, more efficient, it won't help anyone get on the ship any sooner. From what I can tell, no new cruisers can get on until the previous sailing has debarked. Being on the room filled with people makes me incredibly anxious, (don't like crowds) so I think we will wait until after noon for our next cruise.

theoretically this is not accurate. its staggered check in and not staggered boarding. so the only people that would be waiting in the rooms are the people with any time before they start boarding (approx - 10:00 am to 12:30 pm). anyone else would not be allowed in to even check in so there should be somewhat less. also any times after they start boarding would be much less too because the next group (1:00pm) would only be allowed for the next 1/2 hour. then only 1:30pm, etc. there should be somewhat less people in the first wave and then less and less as the day goes on.

the old way was that anyone was allowed to check in and wait for the boarding to start and in my opinion, that would probably be more people. The new way should help somewhat on the beginning rush and then help tremendously on subsequent times

Sounds like the program is really working out well. My only concern is that a lot of FTTF & Plats have stated in other boards that they were going to pick a later time, and for some bizarre reason, show up at 10:30. If enough do that, it will be a mess.

I really don't get this, either. We picked the very best estimation of what time we will get there.

Though, since we have to drive through Houston, I should have picked much later in the afternoon. ☺

Edited by christyran1228

Sounds like the program is really working out well. My only concern is that a lot of FTTF & Plats have stated in other boards that they were going to pick a later time, and for some bizarre reason, show up at 10:30. If enough do that, it will be a mess.

Platinum and diamond can board at will under the new system. With two cruises from Galveston since the new program went in we selected the first boarding time.

According to the help line we are supposed to see a software update that eliminates the time choice at online check in.

The last cruise before the new policy went into place I worked a late mass at church and we didn't arrive until 3:00pm. I felt some glares when we went around them for priority boarding. Every other in our status must have boarded before noon.

Once I got to this balcony I forgot all else!ImageUploadedByForums1454470517.358561.jpg.1d7cdb805bcc19b5640f0a678a2f2056.jpg

Me either my friend :) I picked the time I actually intend to show up, it would seem to me they want a clear picture of what to expect. Otherwise there shouldn't be a time for us to pick...

Only 9 more days for you!! woo hoo :D:cool:

I really don't get this, either. We picked the very best estimation of what time we will get there.

Though, since we have to drive through Houston, I should have picked much later in the afternoon. ☺

Just as an FYI - just finished our 7 day on the Dream. We had FTTF for this cruise. We arrived at the Fulton garage around 10 AM, and after a few detours due to carnival parade prep, we were in the terminal by 10:45. Made it thru check in by 11:10, and were onboard and in Pasta Bella by 11:50. Not bad [emoji3]