Tendering with a wheelchair

LokiPoki

Hi all. I know there are a few posts out there on this general topic, but -

Family are on the Dawn Princess South Pacific cruise in May next year - I'm a "most of the time" manual wheelchair user (can do short distances with arm support or crutches) and a little concerned that I'll not be able to access some of the ports (from memory, only three don't require tendering). We booked after travel agent and a phone customer service person at Princess assured us it "should be fine" - only to have an email response from someone else at Princess telling me going ashore was at the captain's discretion and it was "quite possible" I would not be able to access those ports.

I realise that passenger safety overall has to be prioritised, etc., but how often does this refusal occur? (This bearing in mind that I've a lightweight folding chair - well below the max allowed lifting weight in Princess' guidelines - should be able to manage steps from tender platform okay with crutches/arm- and if worst came to worst have family who could support me down)

Cheers, Laura

It's correct that tendering with a wheelchair is always at the descretion of the Captain as is the policy on all cruise ships. This is posted on the Princess website as well.

You must have a folding colapsable wheelchair less than 50 LBS and you must be able to walk up/down a few steps in order to tender. Even with that said if weather and or sea conditions pose a saftey concern it is at the Captain's descretion to not allow anyone with a wheelchair or any mobility device for that matter to board the tender.

Yes, I realise that (thought I'd said that in my op...perhaps not :) ) but was wondering if anyone has experience of how often this discretion is exercised (and yes, realise also that it's dependent on weather conditions, tides, etc) - as I think all references I can find to people being unable to tender relate to other issues, perhaos using a large power chair or scooter, or unable to negotiate steps, none where they've been prevented for the above reason alone.

As we learned in many cruises with our daughter using her manual wheelchair, getting there (ship to shore) is only half the fun. If you haven't done so already, just a reminder to research what terrain you will find on shore and what is/isn't wheelchair accessible.

You can't really pin a cruise line or port down to what will be available though, as the seas and weather are different every day. We had two plans for each port. Plan A if she could get ashore and get around while there. Plan B if she/we had to stay on the ship. One way or the other we would be occupied.

Thanks Silver Sweethearts - yes, have considered that too - trying to work out what shore will be like, know some places ought to be okay, some "interesting" - but less concerned about terrain onshore than actually being able to get there to start with - getting round where I live has been known to require the wheelchair equivalent of 4wd-ing and managed some pretty rugged terrain when I travelled to NZ.

A good thought to have plan A & B - I'm just worried about my family missing out because of feeling they having to stay on board to keep me company.

Thanks Silver Sweethearts - yes, have considered that too - trying to work out what shore will be like, know some places ought to be okay, some "interesting" - but less concerned about terrain onshore than actually being able to get there to start with - getting round where I live has been known to require the wheelchair equivalent of 4wd-ing and managed some pretty rugged terrain when I travelled to NZ.

A good thought to have plan A & B - I'm just worried about my family missing out because of feeling they having to stay on board to keep me company.

Most of the time we just showed up at the tender and gave going ashore a try. If it worked, fine. If it appeared too hazardous, we gave it a pass. As long as we were friendly and flexible with the tender staff, they went out of their way to accommodate us. We have always gone more for the ship than the destinations, so not going ashore was not looked at as a penalty. We just did the best we could and enjoyed each other and any ports were extra frosting, if that makes sense.

Thank you so much again for your input - has definitely reassured me somewhat. I'm more an off-the-beaten-track kind of girl (the wheelchair is an indirect result of a hiking accident) so definitely traveling for destinations as much as for the ship. I'm a total cruise newbie as you can probably guess, parents have done a few and enjoyed them (this is a secret present for my father's birthday) - not sure how my adventurous streak would cope with being stuck onboard while I see everyone else hopping off and enjoying themselves - but guess it'll be an experience whatever happens!

One extra thought is that the area you will be cruising in took a major hit with Cyclone Pam this past March, and it would be wise to check what the infrastructure looks like today. It may be different than most advertising prior to March. May we ask what made you choose your itinerary? We have given thought to doing a Seabourn cruise in much the same area.

I have been on several cruises since my mobility problems have increased. I use a 35 lb. travelscoot scooter almost all the time now. I can manage 25 to 30 steps but have great difficulty with stairs. Early on I was never refused the opportunity to tender. However as my difficulty with stairs has increased I find my self much less willing to transfer in anything other than calm seas. Regardless, this is what I have experienced when I was more capable. First, Princess has lifts to take you down to the tender dock. The able bodied go down the stairs to the dock. You will get the lift. You will be last to board the tender and may be first or last off the tender after docking at the shore. The crew will offer you their arm to assist you down to the tender or up to the dock. The tender will be rocking and you will have to determine how steady you are. Sometimes the dock you arrive at on shore has additional stairs you need to navigate. I've done it but as my problems have increased I am more cautious.

Edited by katisdale

Thanks also katisdale

Silver Sweethearts - based mostly on cost/distance from home, and the time of year all of us were going to be available. We wanted a cruise leaving an Australian port (as we know a cruise will be my Dad's preference & brother's partner doesn't like flying), which that time of year really left us with NZ, round Australia or the various South Pacific cruises. We've all seen a good bit of Australia, NZ I'd prefer to do another land trip (lots of friends there) so settled on South Pacific.

With regard to cyclone Pam - I've had a few email conversations with a couple of tour operators in Vanuatu, and been trawling news, DFAT, Vanuatu Tourism & sites like this - and though I suspect the same can't be said for more remote areas, it sounds like most of the major infrastructure in tourist areas at least (particularly Port Vila) are reasonably well back on track. I'm pretty good at rising to challenge, so we can only see what happens.

As a wheelchair user / walker with crutches I'm always a bit sensitive to the tender issue. I can't speak for Princess, certainly not for Captain's discretion, but my general experience is to prepare early, speak to whoever can help on board and make plans based on being very keen to get off the boat. If you can manage a few assisted steps all should be okay.

A folding chair isn't usually necessary but it needs to be light enough to follow you on the tender as the last thing before they pull the rope across. Power chairs are definitely a non starter, unless you are with a line that has a chair compatible tender. I'm only aware of Holland America having this on some of their ships but maybe others have moved into the 21st century as well.

My overwhelming tip is not to book any private tours and so long as there's something to do in port don't even bother with ship's tours just in case poor weather precludes you getting off. Minimum cancellation is usually 48 hours and it's frustrating to lose money if there suddenly turns out to be a big swell on the day.

Finally, check out the tidal range and the arrangements at the other end. I say this because at Bar Harbor it was fine when we got off the tender, but by the time we got back the tide was out and the ramp to the jetty was so steep it took 3 crew members holding on to my chair plus me holding the handrails to avoid losing control. I believe it's the second largest tidal range on the entire East Coast, but you get my drift.

If you've got a hiking sort of mindset I'm sure you'll manage pretty well. Enjoy the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...