Empress of the Seas Details

Garavar

I think RCI learned from their past mistakes and will never let those dreaded bananas come within 1000 feet of the ketchup and mayo again.

Now is that 1000' from bow to stern or port to starboard? Depending on this ship and direction you might just find one of these items on board. :p Either that or one item the WJ and the other in the crew cafe. I can invision the threads about contraband mayo now. These boards will be active for sure.

Forget the women and children. I vote for ketchup, and throw the other two (Bananas and Mayo) over board. Throw in raisans too for good measure. I hate them.:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44515119#post44515119

Neither! It was Allure! The ship of the devil himself!

The insanity of it happening in the first place really puts one off the feed.

That explains why I love returning to that ship so much. I wish it would put me off the feed. ;)

Edited by A&L_Ont

With all the ships that get renamed in the cruise industry that's a lot of bad luck. Ships routinely get renamed when they go from one company to another. I think more's being made of it than there really is - there's next to no hesitancy to change the name of a ship. Look at Carnival, for instance, who recently renamed Carnival Destiny to Carnival Sunshine.

She's a one-off in a unique class unto herself. So no, not a Sovereign.

Should be interesting to see where RC puts it on the website. Under Sovereign or maybe "Other" Category.

Honeymooned on this ship. Was called Nordic Empress then. Always heard that it was bad luck to change the name of a ship. ⛴⛴

We honeymooned on the Nordic Empress, too.:)

Photos? :)

Sorry, they're all on film. It was a few years ago!;)

There were standard balconies back then (1995). They had a Category C balcony for the larger rooms. I guess those are JS now - RCI didn't have a JS category until about 2003. We sailed on Vision in 2002 and 8088, now a JS, was a C.

Two of Carnival's first ships, the Mardi Gras and Carnivale were renamed from Empress of Cananda and Empress of Britain. They were originally transatlantic liners.

How did the renaming work out in regards to Carnival's success/failure? I let you be the judge

On a side note, I sailed on the Carnivale in the old days of 1982.

Same here - back in 1998. Also heard it was back luck to rename a ship. but I also heard ti was bad luck to bring a banana on a ship and there's been tons on every cruise I've been on.

The Empress was originally being built for Admiral Cruise Lines when Royal Caribbean merged with Admiral. She was originally named Nordic Empress and had the Viking Crown and Windjammer to fit with the other Royal ships at that time. I sailed on her several times, mainly to Bermuda, and had an aft balcony twice. One of them was rated as a JS, a long cabin with a lot of empty space with a balcony the was 18 feet long that took up a third of the width of the ship. The other aft cabin on that deck was a full suite.

I sailed on Nordic Empress, but I was just a kid, like 7 or 8 years old. Most of my memories are from the pictures my parents took. I do remember our awesome waiter, Florin, he did magic tricks every night for us. I remember being in Adventure Ocean too. And from the pictures, though I'm sure this can change, you do see a nod to cruising of old in the decor. Gold handles on stairways, lots of gold and glass. If I can find the pictures next time I'm at my parents Ill scan and upload them. I remember having a great time on this ship!