Purchasing premium wine

cruising kirby

Can I get some advice from people who have purchased wine on board Seabourn. We can generally get by with most of the included white wines however my husband has never found an included red that he enjoys. So I am thinking I might either pre-purchase a wine package for our 21 night Antarctica cruise, or is it better to just select individual bottles as required? I have no idea if the wine packages represent value? I seem to recall on our last Seabourn cruise the wine packages could be purchased once on board, is that correct? Can anyone give me an idea of some of the reds that could be available as part of the premium selection?

We have bought the premium wine package while on board and will do so again on our next 54 day cruise. On the longer voyages we usually go with the gold package but on our 18 day cruise next July will probably just buy individual bottles some nights as we are generally happy enough with the included wines.

I can't help you with names of red wines as my husband suffers an allergy issue........this makes him sad as he used to love red wine. However when we have had meals with friends and they have shared their premium red wine with me I know I have really enjoyed them.

We have been able to build a good rapport with the Sommelier, they have sometimes swapped out a wine on the included premium list for one of equal value in the cellar that they thought we would like. The Sommelier on our Sojourn cruise this January/February was brilliant with this and we had some really lovely wines.

Just a thought, they decant the red wine into a carafe for serving. So if it is only your husband drinking the red wine and you want to have the same wine for two nights you may want to mention this to the Sommelier.

I hope this helps.

Julie

You may get a better price with the package but I have found they don't offer the wines that are of interest to me. I prefer to buy by the bottle -- of course as a longtime Seabourn cruiser I get s tremendous discount. But frankly even without the discount I find the prices very reasonable -- usually close to retail. Not sure about your area but on most restaurants we frequent markups are in the 200% plus range.

Although you may save a few bucks with a package, buying individual bottles will increase the choice available to you.

It is always helpful to cultivate the sommelier on board and discuss with him/ her your wine style preferences and price ceiling. He/she will then be able to make recommendations.

On our last cruise there were some good value wines on the premium list which seemed to have only a modest markup. One of the sommeliers was recommending Napa Caymus Cab Sauv and Ken Forrester Gypsy GSM blend from South Africa. Price points were in the 55 to 100 dollar range if I remember correctly.

In any event it is worth an approach to the Sommelier to check if he/she has any bin ends squirrelled away from previous included lists that might be to your taste. Who knows , a gem might emerge that will taste all that better because it is "free"!

Thanks for your responses. It didn't even occur to me that purchasing individual bottles would open up a wider selection! I suspect that is the way to go, although I will befriend the sommelier just in case he/she can find a "gem" hidden away that is on the included list. In any event, if we have to purchase wine, USD50 to USD100 per bottle will be worth it for my husband to enjoy over a night or two. I don't drink red wine, so I will use my "savings" to indulge in the spa!

Edited by cruising kirby

You may get a better price with the package but I have found they don't offer the wines that are of interest to me. I prefer to buy by the bottle -- of course as a longtime Seabourn cruiser I get s tremendous discount. But frankly even without the discount I find the prices very reasonable -- usually close to retail. Not sure about your area but on most restaurants we frequent markups are in the 200% plus range.

Yes, we are also used to significant markups on bottles of wine in our restaurants. Close to retail price on Seabourn will be very welcome.

Of course another option for your DH is of your cruise starts in BA you could pick up some nice lovely Argentinean Malbecs and bring them on board for him to enjoy over the cruise. And keep in mind they do not charge a corkage fee.

Of course another option for your DH is of your cruise starts in BA you could pick up some nice lovely Argentinean Malbecs and bring them on board for him to enjoy over the cruise. And keep in mind they do not charge a corkage fee.

Genius! We do start in Buenos Aires. Well I can see what we will be doing for part of our pre-cruise stay.............................