1st time, What Beach for me?

mitsugirly

After seeing pics and aerials I hesitated for this beach as we always picture Caribbean beaches as soft white sand and turquoise waters. This area seems totally different but a beach nontheless! When my friend showed me the aerial and that it was basically on the border of Atlantic vs Caribbean I wondered if the water was as nice too but will have to see what you have to say and then experience it ourselves!

PS, I have always planned out vacations almost to a fault, then saw your post on another thread of yours showing your method and pictures etc. Im trying that route this time. You should think about doing a cruise planning thread with lots of details and pictures. I think it would be so useful to those of us who seem to plan down to the last detail wanting no surprises!!

D

I know what you mean. I like the powdery sand and beautiful water too you think of when you say "Caribbean". But, since I have seen pictures of the place, while still lovely, I'm not going in with too high of expectations. So therefore, I won't be too disappointed. I'm just going to enjoy my day there and it will be a new experience for us. I love new experiences, even if it's not the "norm" you think of when serching for a place. :)

The beach is wider and the sand lighter at Cockleshell than South Friar's (Shipwreck/Carambola).

The water color is better also at Cockleshell, although not a perfect green/aqua/turquoise mixture. Both provide views of the volcanic cone Nevis, although Cockleshell is much closer.

If you want to see turquoise water, there is a lookout off the road about midway to Cockleshell. Walk a short distance to the Caribbean side and look back toward the port. There's a striking turquoise band in the water close to shore. Being three or four hundred feet up brings out the color.

• 2 weeks later...
We just got off the breeze and went to cockleshell beach. We really enjoyed it. I hope to have a review soon but can answer some questions.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it and thanks for reporting back. Please link you review when you can. I would love to read it and (fingers crossed) you will have pictures too. :D

Yep, I just crossed off Great Bay on my list. Better safe than sorry. I'll keep Little Divi on there and I'm looking at a few other places that have been mentioned in the past. Ever been to LaGalion? I hear it's a nice place for families with calm shallow water and the locals go there.

Thanks for the P.S remarks. I really appreciate it. Glad you enjoyed the Dream review. We loved the Dream ...and well, actually the Pride too. I'm just as confident we are really going to love the Breeze just as much if not more. I can't wait. :)

Le Galion is amazing. Took my 2 kids there. Crystal clear, wide sand, not crowded at all. Water is 1-2 feet deep as far as you can walk, and it's sheltered so it doesn't get wavy. Really nice little beach bar/restaurant too

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We ended up booking a "tour" with our roll call that included transportation and drive-by tour of the town and ending at dropping us off at Reggae for the day, then return trip back.

It was an "ok" day at Reggae. It's nothing to say "wow" over in my opinion. It was SUPER crowded and the chairs pushed together (you get to know your neighbors really well... just saying). They do have vendors walking up and down the beach (especially one that was trying to sell his downloaded CD's of reggae and steel drums music)...over and over and over. We were only approached maybe twice by the staff to see if we wanted any drinks or anything...which I guess that can be good if you don't want to be bothered over and over...or bad if you are wanting service. There wasn't much of a "beach" since the chairs took up most of the space right at the water. They did have a few cages with animals in them, but they didn't look too clean.

I would probably not go back to this place.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that our roll call group booked with Liz Pereira Tours and it was one disaster after another from our group...so beware!! They put some people on the wrong buses, who took a tour of the island and only got about 1 hour of beach time (and we all booked FOR the beach). Our driver creeped in 1st gear almost the entire way causing such a back up behind us that people were racing to get around him on the steep turning hills. It was a little scary. We were promised a 10 minute stop at the top of Timothy Hill that we didn't get there or back. The second tour bus was over 1 hour late picking up the other group at the beach, causing some to take a taxi and pay more due to fear of not getting back to the ship when they had dinner reservations. The entire process was a cluster flark from beginning to the end.

I have a few review in my signature line with TONS of pictures if anyone is interested.