Alaska inside/OV and ship of choice?

NOSaints1

I would definitely pick the ship that sails out of Vancouver. If you sail out of Seattle you miss the inside passage which is stunning.

We don't...we sail back to Vancouver on our upcoming Solstice.

My one tip is splurge on a balcony and the aft is the absolute best way to view everything. We did aft balcony 2 years ago on Radiance of the Seas from and back to Vancouver, and had the best view of the receding Hubbard glacier (best glacier IMHO, widest glacier)calving as we left, while every one else couldn't. We watched amazing calvings for a half hour with binoculars. On sea days, we had the whole 180 degree panorama to see whales, dolphin, etc. It is worth it, just pay it out. Much more comfortable viewing from you balcony than running around the front and top decks squeezing in a spot with the masses. Wasted a lot of time initially doing this.

Here was our view:

2weh2lk.jpg as ship was leaving

2v2ulvt.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo

We don't...we sail back to Vancouver on our upcoming Solstice.

That's true - but that only happens once at beginning and once at end of season. However if the OP is more interested in the ship the Solstice probably would be a better fit.

I would still say return out of Vancouver and would also go with Princess over Celebrity.

An Alaskan cruise is probably the only cruise I would say that a balcony is a "must". The two I have taken my wife and I have spent loads of time on it and we never felt like we missed anything. Any other cruise I'm happy with an inside or OV cabin.

IMO, the ship itself doesn't matter, but the cruise line and itinerary do. Find the itinerary you want that's offered by the cruise lines that matter the most to you. Go from there.

And you have to think of packing since in Alaska you want to bring layered clothing. You could go to a glacier and it will be 35deg. and go into town a couple hours later and it is 70. Also, there can be loads of rain.

dkj - Have you traveled in Alaska? While the panhandle is a marine climate and very wet, Fairbanks has about the same rainfall as Phoenix Arizona. It is in a derest of sorts. Winter snowfall is usually under 4" a MONTH. Layered clothing - absolutely. Exactly as you would need in Washington or Oregon or for your port visits in Ketchikan or Juneau where it does rain about 250-300 days a year and almost daily in July and August. FYI - May and September have the best weather in the main part of Alaska. By June you are facing forest fires and Denali is visible under 10% of the time.

Going to a glacier and being 35 degrees? Since on a ship you do not go closer than a mile it is usually warmer. Have been in Glacier Bay fishing numerous times in May and early June and often had sunny and in the 60-70 range.

Just read a comparison between two, almost seems Princess is younger crowd

I am only basing this on the one time I went through Vancouver to board.

My first cruise there were two ships in Vancouver that were boarding. One for Carnival and one for Princess. The passengers were all intermingled as we waited to for the ships to empty and for them to begin the boarding process. Princess was ready before Carnival. When they made the announcement, half the people stood up and started to exit. The majority of that crowd were decidedly older, easily 60+.

Granted, this was nearly 10 years ago and things may have changed dramatically since then. :) Be that as it may, an Alaskan cruise is definitely more laid back than most cruises. So the ages of the passengers truly do not matter. The emphasis on the cruise is nature, not activities on board (i.e. swimming, drinking at the bar, poolside games).

Cruising Alaska is probably the most gorgeous experience you'll ever have.

You do get closer than a mile to Hubbard if the ice flows have diminished. Hence why we cruise the last trip of the season. Ice flows have all but disappeared although the glacier was actively calving. So we were able to get quite close. Bay is much wider than Tracy Arm and Sawyer so almost all ship classes can get in there. Whereas, at Sawyer, even at end of season, passage so narrow and icebergs so prevalent that you almost have to take the catamaran excursion to get that close up!

Before we did Alaska, I didn't think I was even interested in seeing the glacier...just a hunk of ice, etc. But after experiencing it, it was my favorite day of our cruise, I could've stayed for hours! So we have booked the catamaran excursion on Solstice so we can get as close as safely possible to experience it again. Hope Sawyer has as much to offer as Hubbard.

And yes, so far our favorite cruise followed by our transit from San Diego to Hawaii.

Edited by BecciBoo

Ship is not important on Alaskan cruises. My one strong suggestion is to do a land tour along with your cruise. Just returned from 2 weeks in Alaska and the land tour provides an experience not available on just the cruise