Least favorite Carnival port of call

MaiTaiMary

haha.... this is funny.

Loved every port.

Loved Belize, yes it is a long ride, get over it.

...I've gotten over it. i am not holding a grudge. But yes, I don't want to tender for 45 minutes and then sit and wait for the other tenders for another 45 minutes standing around then get on a packed bus and drive for over 45 minutes on a dirt road with "safety" checkpoints to go be rushed at the excursion for 45 minutes so we can make the return trip as bumpy and quickly as possible and enjoy another hour and a half of uncomfortable crowded travel.

I'm over it. But that doesn't change that it is my "least favorite port of call."

I have been to Belize twice. The first time did the River Wallace and Mayan Ruins. The second time was with my daughter and she wanted to see the ruins so we booked a tour that included the Belikin brewery and the ruins.

Long story short the tour operator didn't tell us that the Belikin tour was no longer available until we were on a boat (4 hours long) on River Wallace. We were at the ruins for maybe 20 minutes before having to get back to ship.

As others have said it is a third world country and you feel it when people in uniforms are standing in the street with automatic weapons. It kind of made me feel that an uprising was going to occur at any minute.

Heading to Western Caribbean again in March. I will probably stay on the ship in Belize. DD and her friend may want to do the cave tubing thing.

I don't absolutely hate Nassau, but if I didn't go there again that would be okay too. Yes people are pushy, but they are trying to earn a living. We went to Junkanoo Beach and got 3 beers + 3 shots of rum punch for 10.00.

Grand Cayman is beautiful, but like one poster said BTDT and everything there is pricey.

2. Belize - Tendering is a bummer, nothing to do close to port and the port is just terrible

I actually didn't mind the port in Belize itself, it had some cool little shops and felt like a small village. plus, Belikin beer!!!

However, I agree the tender was awful (25 minutes, yuck).

So happy people don't know about great adventures in Jamaica and Belize-keeps them from getting booked up and leaves room for me. I have had great times in Belize, Nassau, Jamaica-really don't have a port I don't like.

1. Nassau = terrible

2. Freeport = even more terrible

La Romana - was awesome for us... Yes port area is terrible but we did the excursion through Seavis Tours.... Hands down best excursion I have ever been on... and got to walk around the little beach shops and have some local drinks. Bayhaibe Beach is awesome also... Take a cab from the port and go there for the day... its Safe... We have done it... I would go to La Romana again and again..

Belize - Never done a bad excursion here... always had a good time. Have walked out of the gate 2 times.... Yes it is sketchy outside... but the people were nice... even had lunch at a guys house... He was cooking chicken right out side his place and invited us in for chicken and beer... We each gave him 5 bucks.... only reason we stopped there was because the food smelled so good....

1) Belize, booked ship's looong excursion to see pyramids. Only hour at the site, spent triple the time at various gift shop stops. bonus points for running late and being told we'd likely get transported to next port. Was never so glad to see a cruise ship.

2) Roatan, another ship excursion, tons of sands fleas despite being doused in bug spray. It's been years since we visited, told they've 'cleaned it up', but no desire to return.

3) Grand Turk, snorkling was just ok. Have to be in the right mood for buffet's place, nearby beach is severly lacking.

We are land-locked, but beach people every chance we get. Love HMC, the one port I wouldn't mind watching the ship pull away without me.;)

San Juan, Belize, and La Romana. San Juan because we have been there so many times. Belize and La Romana because we don't feel safe. In Costa Maya we rented a golf cart and had an absolute blast.

Where did you rent a golf cart in Costa Maya and where did you go.

Where did you rent a golf cart in Costa Maya and where did you go.

We hadn't planned to do this ahead of time. As we were walking around the port, toward the back, we saw a sign that said gold carts for rent. I can't remember for sure but I think it was like $60 or $70 for 4 hours. We went through the city and down along the beach. It was great and 4 hours was just about the right amount of time.

I really don't have a least favorite port of call. I have enjoyed them all, and some not quite enough, due to my own limitations. But I just cannot pick one and say it is my least favorite. I have some way up there on the like scale, and some a little lower, but I have always found something to like about all the port of call that I have been to. And I am in a very small minority who happens to love the Bahamas, and even Nassau.

Edited by SMSACE6

WOW! Wonder if you were there on a bad day. Each time we've visited, we've been able to see our feet.:D:D

We come from CT, where the water is brown, and gross. ( I won't step foot in it ):o

Whether at the free beach, right off the dock, or down at Jack's Shack, the water has always been crystal clear.

We LOVE this port.....:D:D

I concur, Grand Turk is one of our favorite beach day ports with Jack's Shack being our destination. Water was great, food tasty and we got to watch people playing volleyball and Topher the dog digging in the sand. Second best to Half Moon Cay, in my opinion.

I like the answer of the debarkation port being the worst port. Sadness all the way around.

Gotta go with San Juan. After the first couple of visits and having walked around we just hit the bar and drink now.

Was thinking Freeport for a minute but remembered going to Gold Rock Beach on a kayaking excursion there and must say it is a hidden gem.

Nassau...bring back British rule of law.

EVERYONE seems to want to run things for themselves, but they never think it out. The British had connections to tons of money overseas. That was one reason why the Bahamas were teeming with activity under British rule. But the folks who established their own country there did not have the same connections. One needs a financial base over and above tourism.

Edited by clearwaters