Staggered Check-In Breeze Galveston June 2016

Badfinger

Just received a very confusing "email" from Carnival with the subject "Staggered Check In required". Even though the "email" was not something one could read, I knew what it was about so I went to the Carnival website and as expected the option to pick a embarkation time was available. Since I was at my computer when the email arrived, it was likely I was one of the very first to pick a time. Available 30-minute blocks started at 10:00am and went through 3:00pm. Since we drive and I refuse to wake up early, I happily picked the 12:00-12:30 slot. It is all good!

Must not have been that confusing, sounds like you figured it out pretty quickly

To a person who is not active on these boards and is not aware of the new staggered check-in time, it would be very confusing. The following is the text of the email (I also received one). I dare any one to figure out what the heck it means if they weren't already aware that it was going to happen. (I replaced numbers with n's - I don't know what the numbers mean but don't want to give out my booking info by accident.)

//BEGIN

docnum nnnnnnnn

quality N/A

fax

voice 000000000000000000000000

company

comment STAGGERED CHECKIN

contact

owner CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES;

termid

tranid nnnnnnnnnnnn

user1

user2 " Nnnnnn

user3

date 12/21/15

time 15:30:56

pages 1

rti

tti ^tti ^

numretry 0

maxretry ^maxretry ^

callnumber ^callnumber ^

retcode success

realretcode ^realretcode ^

transdate 12/21/15

transtime 15:30:56

humantranstime Monday, December 21, 2015 15:30:56

callmode ^callmode ^

duration 0

pagessent 0

card ^card ^

remotecsi ^remotecsi ^

remotensf ^remotensf ^

//END

To a person who is not active on these boards and is not aware of the new staggered check-in time, it would be very confusing. The following is the text of the email (I also received one). I dare any one to figure out what the heck it means if they weren't already aware that it was going to happen. (I replaced numbers with n's - I don't know what the numbers mean but don't want to give out my booking info by accident.)

//BEGIN

docnum nnnnnnnn

quality N/A

fax

voice 000000000000000000000000

company

comment STAGGERED CHECKIN

contact

owner CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES;

termid

tranid nnnnnnnnnnnn

user1

user2 " Nnnnnn

user3

date 12/21/15

time 15:30:56

pages 1

rti

tti ^tti ^

numretry 0

maxretry ^maxretry ^

callnumber ^callnumber ^

retcode success

realretcode ^realretcode ^

transdate 12/21/15

transtime 15:30:56

humantranstime Monday, December 21, 2015 15:30:56

callmode ^callmode ^

duration 0

pagessent 0

card ^card ^

remotecsi ^remotecsi ^

remotensf ^remotensf ^

//END

That is exactly what mine looked like...which is why put the word email in parenthesis..."email". Confusing was a fair description of it IMO. Not sure how it could be taken as sarcasm by Knabowksy.

Edited by Badfinger

That is exactly what mine looked like...which is why put the word email in parenthesis..."email". Confusing was a fair description of it IMO. Not sure how it could be taken as sarcasm by Knabowksy.

My apologies. My email had an attachment that was very clear and precise about what to do. Given the complaints that others had made, and the fact that you said you were able to get it done quite efficiently and effectively, I thought perhaps your attachment was as clear an non-confusing as mine. (See attached letter...assuming I can upload it without messing up). Therefore, you were being "sarcastic" in speaking of confusion.

My email had no text in the body, only the "STAGGERED CHECK-IN" subject line and the attachment.

My mistake was thinking Carnival was being at least somewhat consistent in the letter going out. Again, my apologies.

18540117.pdf

Edited by kbanowsky

My apologies. My email had an attachment that was very clear and precise about what to do. Given the complaints that others had made, and the fact that you said you were able to get it done quite efficiently and effectively, I thought perhaps your attachment was as clear an non-confusing as mine. (See attached letter...assuming I can upload it without messing up). Therefore, you were being "sarcastic" in speaking of confusion.

My email had no text in the body, only the "STAGGERED CHECK-IN" subject line and the attachment.

My mistake was thinking Carnival was being at least somewhat consistent in the letter going out. Again, my apologies.

Too bad they weren't consistent. What you received was clear. The message Badfinger and I both received is cryptic at best. I feel sorry for the uninformed receiving a letter like mine.

So CCL is trying to make a stab at reducing the crowding at embarkation which is commendable, but does anyone think that if you booked a time of say 1:00-1:30 and got there early at 11:30, that they would make you wait an hour and a half somewhere before you could start embarking? Or if 1-1:30 was closed and you just showed up then anyway? Perhaps CCL figures that if the majority stick to the time they are given crowding will be reduced, which it likely would be. BTW, does Galveston have chronic embarkation probs? ... could they be rolling this out at just the problem ports?

So CCL is trying to make a stab at reducing the crowding at embarkation which is commendable, but does anyone think that if you booked a time of say 1:00-1:30 and got there early at 11:30, that they would make you wait an hour and a half somewhere before you could start embarking? Or if 1-1:30 was closed and you just showed up then anyway? Perhaps CCL figures that if the majority stick to the time they are given crowding will be reduced, which it likely would be. BTW, does Galveston have chronic embarkation probs? ... could they be rolling this out at just the problem ports?

There is a line outside the terminal for people who arrive early. You are only allowed in the terminal if it is your boarding time or after your boarding time. Galveston has never had a bad embarkation process but it can be a bit hectic when the triumph and magic or freedom are all docked at the same time. It made it go a lot quicker boarding a few weeks ago

from the posts here on cc, yes - they will make you wait for your time

Absolutely. As others said, every post I have read where someone experienced it they do in fact make you wait outside. I think it's a great idea. Hopefully it will stop tons of people from showing up at 9am.

I received both the one with all the letters and numbers and then one like you attached. Not sure what was going on with that first one.

My understanding is they are definitely making people wait.

In my experience (14 cruises out of Galveston) I have never thought the embarkation was an issue. For probably 13 of those cruises I have arrived at about 10:30-11:00. I will say I don't have anything really to compare it to as the only other cruise taken somewhere else (New Orleans/Norwegian) was delayed 10 hours. The part I have issue with is debarkation, which always seems to be a drag in Galveston. Getting off the ship in NO was a breeze.

Since you are allowed in at any point after your time slot has started, won't people just choose the earliest available and then still show up whenever they feel like it? Maybe that's a silly question, but it would be logical, especially if you are driving in day of and have a flexible schedule. This could create a new level of frustration for the people who truly want to arrive as early as possible, not being able to select the earliest slots because they are full, even if it will not truly be used by the people who selected them. This also makes FTTF more appealing (in my opinion) since you have to select a time slot anyways but may show up at your leisure.

Hello,

I am still new to cruising. We will be cruising on Carnival Breeze from Miami in January. They will email us prior to let us pick an available time for embarkation? If so, how long before we cruise should I expect to get the email? Thank you.

They will make you wait until the time on your boarding pass no matter how early you arrive. You can go ahead and check in your luggage but you have to wait. We took our cousins in Nov out of Galveston when it first started and we had a 10:30 check in and they had a 12:00 check in, being their first cruise we waited outside with them and there were some upset people but once you got inside it was smooth sailing and we all walked right on.

I hope they start building some covered,heated and cooled with seating areas for people that stayed in hotels and had to check out and have no cars.

Maybe its time to find a more accommodating hotel. Why should Carnival have to absorb a cost because a hotel can't get their act together. A GOOD hotel knows that Cruise lines fills their rooms not the other way round.