Bringing an empty, reusable cup on board?

IPlayWithString

One of the gifts the head office gave everybody in our dept for Christmas was a reusable cup with a lid/straw (similar to the one on the right in this picture) with our dept name on it.

If I bring it in, EMPTY, will I be allowed to take it past security? I really dislike the fact that Carnival has gone to these teensy little cups at the drink stations that barely hold enough for anything. I would, of course, do the more sanitary thing and fill the drink cup (from the drink station) up and use THAT to fill my reusable cup.

One of the gifts the head office gave everybody in our dept for Christmas was a reusable cup with a lid/straw (similar to the one on the right in this picture) with our dept name on it.

If I bring it in, EMPTY, will I be allowed to take it past security? I really dislike the fact that Carnival has gone to these teensy little cups at the drink stations that barely hold enough for anything. I would, of course, do the more sanitary thing and fill the drink cup (from the drink station) up and use THAT to fill my reusable cup.

No problem.

I bring my reusable cup to fill with ice and water during the day. I don't use another cup to fill it, but I always remove the lid and straw and ensure the cup doesn't touch anything when filling. I see that as being no different than someone coming up to refill their glass :-)

OK. Just thought I'd ask because I didn't want to try and bring it in with me and then have security chuck it out for whatever reason.

What about knitting needles in checked luggage? Allowed or not? Because I'm thinking of bringing a small project, like maybe a pair of socks, with me and I typically use aluminum double pointed needles (like these) to knit socks with.

I always take my own cup with me. I've never had a problem doing so.

Have a great cruise!

I bring my reusable cup to fill with ice and water during the day. I don't use another cup to fill it, but I always remove the lid and straw and ensure the cup doesn't touch anything when filling. I see that as being no different than someone coming up to refill their glass :-)

That may be your perception of it, but it is not the USPH's view. It does all depend on whether the drink dispenser is a contact or non-contact type. The contact type uses the side of the glass to depress a lever to dispense the liquid. Therefore, anything on your reusable glass will transfer to the lever, and then to the next glass that depresses the lever. A non-contact dispenser requires you to push a button to dispense, so if you are careful, you could avoid touching anything. This is how RCI uses the reusable cups in their beverage packages, since their machines are all non-contact.

I always bring one insulated mug each for DH and myself. Great for coffee in the morning or ices tea in the afternoon. They were invaluable on our exotic western cruise where DH contracted a terrible upper respiratory mess with a hard cough and didn't leave the cabin for 3 days. He went to the ship's infirmary and got medicines when it started but the only thing that really helped the hacking in the beginning was hot decaf tea with lemon - thus I'd fill both insulated mugs at once so he had plenty available. I was soooooo glad I'd brought the mugs! :)

That was my thought also and I think doesn't it say somewhere around the drink machines they want you to use a fresh cup every time you get a drink from the drink machines?

Not that it STOPS people from reusing the same cup over and over again..I've seen people do it with the cups they provide, with cups purchased onboard or in port..it kinda squicks me out a little to the point I want to run a sanitizing wipe over the handle bit you depress your cup against to make the liquid (juice, etc) flow out.

That was my thought also and I think doesn't it say somewhere around the drink machines they want you to use a fresh cup every time you get a drink from the drink machines?

Not that it STOPS people from reusing the same cup over and over again..I've seen people do it with the cups they provide, with cups purchased onboard or in port..it kinda squicks me out a little to the point I want to run a sanitizing wipe over the handle bit you depress your cup against to make the liquid (juice, etc) flow out.

I am by no means a germophobe, but my practice is to take a paper napkin and fold it around the top of the glass, so this touches the lever, even when using a clean glass. And yes, there should be a USPH required sign to that effect at the machine.

The guidelines are in place for a reason. Even though you "think" you are ok, not following the guidelines, you still have a great potential for contaminating the spigots. There is a big potential of back splash, and you still touching the spigot. A LOT of people think it's just fine , inserting their cup into the spigot. Sorry, your cup is NEVER clean enough, you haven't sterilized it, and very likely when empty, you just refill it and then thinking, washing at night when you retire is enough, it is not.

Please rethink your habit and comply with the policies in place. They are for everyone's health. You aren't thinking about compromised individuals, as example, who have low resistances. They can't afford this risk. Please reconsider what you are doing.

I take my Tervis tumbler with me. I use the small cups at the drink station to fill with ice or drink. Even if I know it is clean other people don't know that and then I move the small glass so no one comes along and uses it. I prefer to use caution so others see it and don't freak out.

I've been wondering the same thing. I like to bring an insulated refillable coffee mug to use for my morning cup or 2 (keeps the coffee hot longer and it holds more than their mugs do). However, I remember reading here on CC abut someone bring an EMPTY coke bottle (or maybe it was a water bottle, can't remember) onboard on Embarkation Day and security throwing it out. I think that the security people understand the no bottles rule as meaning no bottles, doesn't matter if they're full or empty. Which is stupid IMO. The rule is there to prevent alcohol smuggling. Since the bottle was empty, the person was quite obviously not smuggling anything. I'm worried they might consider my mug to be a bottle and make me throw it out.

OK. Just thought I'd ask because I didn't want to try and bring it in with me and then have security chuck it out for whatever reason.

What about knitting needles in checked luggage? Allowed or not? Because I'm thinking of bringing a small project, like maybe a pair of socks, with me and I typically use aluminum double pointed needles (like these) to knit socks with.

Bring your needles and don't give it another thought. Almost every cruise we've seen someone knitting or crocheting. Even seen gals at a buffet table trying to untangle what must have been a full skein. One cruise there was a knitting circle of about 10 sitting near the pool.

Edited by SadieN

I always bring my larger cups with me. And have it down to a art now.

Pick up a napkin from silverware (never seem to be able not to spill). Use the Carnival small coffee cup for the dispenser and fill up my larger mug. Wipe up any spills and I'm good to go.

No cross contamination and I have a cup I won't be spilling when I walk (not to mention a decent size of coffee versus those small cups.

Bring your needles and don't give it another thought. Almost every cruise we've seen someone knitting or crocheting. Even seen gals at a buffet table trying to untangle what must have been a full skein. One cruise there was a knitting circle of about 10 sitting near the pool.

Wow. That's actually pretty cool. :D

What I neglected to say was that I wash our cups out after each use in the bathroom sink with dish detergent I bring with us.

Above and beyond the idea of not letting them touch the machine if they had been used I'm paranoid about possible bacteria growing in a cup that's only been rinsed in water :D

Never had a problem bringing knitting on board. And yes, I love to knit socks with DPNs, too! Will be bringing several skeins to work on during our Journeys cruise on the Glory January 23.

My motto is "I knit so I don't kill people" :D (Greatest therapy ever!) Enjoy your cruise!

What I neglected to say was that I wash our cups out after each use in the bathroom sink with dish detergent I bring with us.

Above and beyond the idea of not letting them touch the machine if they had been used I'm paranoid about possible bacteria growing in a cup that's only been rinsed in water :D

Unfortunately, though that might be adequate for your use (as it is in my home), as far as the USPH is concerned, dishware is not clean unless it has been raised to a surface temperature of 160*F by water that is at least 210*F, which is why they don't want anything that passengers wash and refill being used in the machines. Warewashing machines are checked at least daily to ensure that dishware is always coming out at the required temperature.