size of inside vs. balcony

I have been looking at future CCL cruises and noticed that for the most part both the inside cabins and the balcony cabins claim to be 185sf. Are the the inside cabins the same size minus the balcony? Do they have the same set-up with a sofa and storage?

Edited by untailored bostonian

Depends on the ship class, but generally 185sq makes up the majority of cabins and the sofa/chair combo can vary. For example some interior 4J's on the Dream class have 220sq ft foot cabins and others have 185sq ft. Some ships have a few awkward shaped rooms that add more square footage. I normally look on the deck plan and a call my PVP and she tells me the size.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

Like mentioned above

generally speaking

Inside cabin 185 sq ft

Balcony 185 sq ft plus 35 sq ft balcony = 220 sq ft

Ocean view 220 sq ft.

There are some odd ball rooms that are bigger and smaller but the above numbers

are a basic reference

Like mentioned above

generally speaking

Inside cabin 185 sq ft

Balcony 185 sq ft plus 35 sq ft balcony = 220 sq ft

Ocean view 220 sq ft.

There are some odd ball rooms that are bigger and smaller but the above numbers

are a basic reference

Last year we did an inside on an NCL cruise and it was very tight, just 141sf. We said never again. Maybe we might give it a try.

I have been looking at future CCL cruises and noticed that for the most part both the inside cabins and the balcony cabins claim to be 185sf. Are the the inside cabins the same size minus the balcony? Do they have the same set-up with a sofa and storage?

Not even close to enough room for a sofa in the interiors. You have stumbled upon Carnival's little secret that has fooled many people, and I have gotten flamed for exposing it in the past. The insides are definitely not the 185sf that are claimed by all the deck plans, PVPs, TAs, etc. And even if they somehow are 185, then the indoors part of the balcony would be 220sf (plus the balcony). I was in both on the Dream back in 2010 within minutes of each other, and I was convinced that the indoors part of the balcony was quite a bit larger, as our inside definitely had no room at all for a sofa. Our inside seemed at least 3 feet shorter in length, while the width of each is the same (just over 9'). So I started taking a tape measurer with me, and sure enough, my next inside on the Magic was measured to be 150sf, give or take a few inches. My next balcony on the Breeze was measured to be 185sf, give or take a few inches. The difference was almost 4 feet in length, with the width being equal. My 4K French Door room on the Miracle was measured to be 185sf, as advertised, but their true interiors were smaller.

On the smaller Fantasy class ships, all non-suite rooms are the same size indoors, but they fall short of the true 185sf that's advertised, although not quite as small as the 150sf interiors on the larger ships. Maybe 160-170, not enough room for sofas in any of them.

Edited by k2excursion

Years ago we were on NCL (ship sold) and we had a cabin of 111sq. ft. THAT'S when I learned to check out cabins before booking.

Newer NCL ships aren't much better. My inside on the NCL Epic is 2013 was 128sf. :eek:

The only NCL ships with decent sized cabins are the older ones such as the NCL Sun.

Not even close to enough room for a sofa in the interiors. You have stumbled upon Carnival's little secret that has fooled many people, and I have gotten flamed for exposing it in the past. The insides are definitely not the 185sf that are claimed by all the deck plans, PVPs, TAs, etc. And even if they somehow are 185, then the indoors part of the balcony would be 220sf (plus the balcony). I was in both on the Dream back in 2010 within minutes of each other, and I was convinced that the indoors part of the balcony was quite a bit larger, as our inside definitely had no room at all for a sofa. Our inside seemed at least 3 feet shorter in length, while the width of each is the same (just over 9'). So I started taking a tape measurer with me, and sure enough, my next inside on the Magic was measured to be 150sf, give or take a few inches. My next balcony on the Breeze was measured to be 185sf, give or take a few inches. The difference was almost 4 feet in length, with the width being equal. My 4K French Door room on the Miracle was measured to be 185sf, as advertised, but their true interiors were smaller.

On the smaller Fantasy class ships, all non-suite rooms are the same size indoors, but they fall short of the true 185sf that's advertised, although not quite as small as the 150sf interiors on the larger ships. Maybe 160-170, not enough room for sofas in any of them.

You're right the interior on non-Fantasy class ships do feel a bit smaller and usually don't have a sofa. I've also noticed that Carnival has two types of sofa's, one that converts to a bed (by removing end cushions) and the other is slightly shorter and can't be converted to a bed.

No sofa in the interior rooms. Same storage. Advantages of balcony you can open the curtains for a lightning or sit on your balcony to watch the views. Our first was balcony then next 2 were suites last 2 interiors. Next 3 were going to be interiors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carnival had been lying for years about the size of the inside rooms 185 sq ft and now they say 170 sq ft and even that may be generous.

You're right the interior on non-Fantasy class ships do feel a bit smaller and usually don't have a sofa. I've also noticed that Carnival has two types of sofa's, one that converts to a bed (by removing end cushions) and the other is slightly shorter and can't be converted to a bed.

I have noticed those shorter sofas on the Triumph, and I have heard & seen pics that Victory has those same shorter sofas. I had one of those rooms with the short sofa on Triumph, and my friends have had one as well. But starting with the Conquest class ships (as well as the Spirit class), Carnival switched over to all long sofas in the standard OV & balcony rooms. There may be a few exceptions to this, but I haven't heard of any. Even if the sofa is not also a bed, it will still be the long sofa on these newer ships. The reason why they all cannot be beds is because of lifeboat capacity. The cruiseline picks & chooses which rooms can have the sofa be a bed & which rooms will have an upper bunk or 2 installed. If not for the lifeboat capacity issue, they would allow every single sofa to be a bed. But instead, some of the long sofas are just sofas.

Edited by k2excursion

From reading these comments I expect that the true size of the CCL insides is a bit smaller than advertised: the same width but 3-4 feet shorter in length.

We are looking at a Vista inside in the Havana section. The balcony is nearly twice the cost. Hard choice to make ... value vs. size.

I agree with your evaluation of the Spirit class ships. Interior cabins are quite a bit smaller than balcony cabins. We have stayed in both.

The inside and the balcony do not seem to be the same size. On one B2B cruise we did one week we were in a balcony and the second week we were right across the hall in an interior. The balcony has a couch and the inside has a chair that barely fits beside the area with the vanity stool. The space beside the king bed and the storage cabinets appears to be about the same in both cabins. The balcony rooms feel more spacious. Our 4J room seemed a little more spacious than the regular interior, but still not as much room as the balcony.

From reading these comments I expect that the true size of the CCL insides is a bit smaller than advertised: the same width but 3-4 feet shorter in length.

We are looking at a Vista inside in the Havana section. The balcony is nearly twice the cost. Hard choice to make ... value vs. size.

I think it comes down to your personal traveling preferences and how much time you'll spend in your cabin. We travel with two kids and we "survived" an inside on the Dream but a deluxe ocean view or balcony definitely makes it more pleasant for us. But if it were just my husband and I, we could definitely endure an inside if it meant we could experience the Vista!!

I know that on the Liberty there is no sofa in an inside cabin. There is a desk type chair at the smaller than normal vanity. I prefer OV, it feels bigger than a balcony. We did an OV on RCCL right after a CCL and I laughed when we walked in the room. The sofa seemed about the size of an over sized arm chair! My impression is the CCL has the largest staterooms, at least in the older ships. I talked to someone on one cruise that was on a new NCL ship and she said the rooms were tiny so not sure if CCL new ship will be going in that direction or not.

Newer NCL ships aren't much better. My inside on the NCL Epic is 2013 was 128sf. :eek:

The only NCL ships with decent sized cabins are the older ones such as the NCL Sun.

YIKES going on my first NCL in March, staying in an inside cabin with a friend. We will be on the Spirit so I hope its a bit larger.