Quantum/Anthem Solo?

Hi all,

Considering a last-minute solo cruise on the Anthem. I've sailed solo on the Allure of the Seas as well as a cruise on Celebrity and on NCL (in a studio). My solo experience on the Allure was the worst of all of them as I was seated at a table for 4 with a group of 3 who didn't show up after the first night. It turned out to be a bit of a lonely cruise in terms of dining. I did meet some others at the Meet and Mingle and planned a dinner with them once, but other than that it wasn't by best experience.

Long story short - any solo experiences on the Quantum or Anthem? It looks like they have both late seating and anytime dining available for the sailing I'm looking at, but given the dynamic dining set-up, I'm concerned that I may end up eating alone for the whole cruise again.

Would love to hear about any positive or negative experiences! Thanks in advance, and wishing everyone Happy Holidays!!!

Thanks for the responses so far. I assume they would put me at a larger table with Dynamic classic but the question is whether my tablemates would show up every night given all of the alternative dining options.

With choice, do they offer both a table alone or with others? On other ships where I've done anytime dining, they always seated each party separately at dinner.

Thanks for the responses so far. I assume they would put me at a larger table with Dynamic classic but the question is whether my tablemates would show up every night given all of the alternative dining options.

With choice, do they offer both a table alone or with others? On other ships where I've done anytime dining, they always seated each party separately at dinner.

They do offer a table alone or with others, but you may have to wait for a table with others to become available.

Edited by clarea

I'll be going solo in Sept. There are solo meetups you can go to (listed on the compass), not sure if folks show up or not. I think there's a whiteboard in the library as well.

I'll be doing dynamic choice and playing it by ear, but personally I'd rather eat alone then be plopped at a table with strangers. If I meet folks in advance somewhere and click, then I'll eat with them. Otherwise I just bring a kindle.

I travelled solo on Anthem earlier this year. I always ask for a large table (My Time), and I don't usually have any problems. On the last cruise, I ate solo 4 times out of 13 nights (one of those was a booking in Devinly Decadence). I think part of the problem was that there was a group of about 800 Canadian car dealers on board and they seemed to have block booked a lot of large tables in all four restaurants. I also found that it didn't seem to matter if you'd made a booking or not, you were all in the same queue and dealt with in order. I'm on the Ovation in May and it will be interesting to compare and contrast.

Thanks Besberry for your response! Do you think things may have been different if you had done classic dining with set tablemates each night?

Did you end up meeting any other solos at any of the solo gatherings? I know they're typically not well-attended (if at all).

Would you recommend the ship for a solo or better to look elsewhere?

Thanks Besberry for your response! Do you think things may have been different if you had done classic dining with set tablemates each night?

Did you end up meeting any other solos at any of the solo gatherings? I know they're typically not well-attended (if at all).

Would you recommend the ship for a solo or better to look elsewhere?

I guess things would have different if I'd gone for classic. I think the major problem was the group of Canadians on board. Three of the four times I ate on my own was in Silk, so I don't know if it was just a problem with that restaurant or what. I didn't go to any of the solo gatherings, but I met loads of great people, many (but not all) from the CC roll call. I had a blast, loved the ship and I'd sail her again in heartbeat. I met people at meals and in the bars. Do the puzzle room.

You'll have a great time.

Meals aside, Anthem is a great ship for singles thanks to the studio cabins. Booked a studio balcony gtd for my daughter on the 6/16 sailing so she could have her own space. Thanks to no single supplement her cost came to just about 1/2 of what dw and I are paying for our D7. She was quickly assigned a DO (balcony obstructed view) and now has a full size cabin all to herself.

Hi all,

Considering a last-minute solo cruise on the Anthem. I've sailed solo on the Allure of the Seas as well as a cruise on Celebrity and on NCL (in a studio). My solo experience on the Allure was the worst of all of them as I was seated at a table for 4 with a group of 3 who didn't show up after the first night. It turned out to be a bit of a lonely cruise in terms of dining. I did meet some others at the Meet and Mingle and planned a dinner with them once, but other than that it wasn't by best experience.

Long story short - any solo experiences on the Quantum or Anthem? It looks like they have both late seating and anytime dining available for the sailing I'm looking at, but given the dynamic dining set-up, I'm concerned that I may end up eating alone for the whole cruise again.

Would love to hear about any positive or negative experiences! Thanks in advance, and wishing everyone Happy Holidays!!!

I don't know the sailing date you have in mind, but there's quite a few solo's on our January 15th cruise on Anthem and many more solo's I have meet on previous cruises that are going on the May 5th Anthem sailing. You can read the Meet and Mingle threads for those sailings.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Thanks so much for the replies!

I did just take the plunge and booked!! Woohoo! February 6th here I come! Unfortunately no solos on the roll call (it looks strangely quiet!) but I'll try to connect with my solo cruise-critics nonetheless!

Hoopster, thank you so much for posting your experiences! I will have to go back and read your full thread! It sounds like things went smoothly for you! Just to clarify, you had anytime dining and made reservations in advance? Would you do it this way again? I booked late seating dynamic dining at a large table, but looking at the show schedule and the fact I don't want to see We Will Rock You at 2:30pm on a sea-day, I'm thinking of switching to anytime dining! Any thoughts? If I do switch, do you recommend that I make reservations for each night in advance?

Thanks so much for the replies!

I did just take the plunge and booked!! Woohoo!

It sounds like things went smoothly for you!

Yes, in the midst of seemingly unending complaints of an inadequate cruising experiences for many, I had one of my best cruises ever.

Just to clarify, you had anytime dining and made reservations in advance?

Correct. There was only dynamic dining available at that time, and I had almost all nights booked as a solo at each complimentary venue to ensure that I at least had a seat that night. Instead of taking up a table for 2 for myself, I always asked for a group table when I arrived.

Would you do it this way again?

In a heartbeat. The ultimate flexibility

I booked late seating dynamic dining at a large table, but looking at the show schedule and the fact I don't want to see We Will Rock You at 2:30pm on a sea-day, I'm thinking of switching to anytime dining! Any thoughts?

In my humble "Non-traditional dining" opinion, yes change. The biggest issues I've ever had as a solo on traditional with the advent of all the specialty dining and other changes while cruising (multiple entertainment times, etc) is that I'd show up at table for 8 or 10 on traditional and no one else would be there... for almost the whole cruise! Or the table would be full the first night then no one the next. While no worries speaking with the Maitre'D in changing tables, on one cruise I sat at 3 different tables over the 7 days. it's a crap shoot in that you may end up at a table where all your fellow guests show up every night and you have a great time!

If I do switch, do you recommend that I make reservations for each night in advance?

Yes, it ensures you a seat at that venue. When you make friends on board, change your dinner schedule during the week, etc... that table becomes free for someone else.

This is how it worked for me, flawless every night and with any change I ever made with multiple friends and venues on board. MANY did not experience this flawlessness nor the ease of the system which I experienced. I hope whatever you experience is great and that you have an awesome cruise! :D

My plan on Anthem is just book the shows etc. Dining - winging it. If I decide I need to reserve, I'll do it the morning of. The idea of booking all my dinners months ahead just makes no sense to me. I never know what ill be in the mood for!

My plan on Anthem is just book the shows etc. Dining - winging it. If I decide I need to reserve, I'll do it the morning of. The idea of booking all my dinners months ahead just makes no sense to me. I never know what ill be in the mood for!

As a solo, it's really easy to walk in without a reservation. I did it on Quantum.