Port Information

pisces14

I wonder if anyone knows if I can find out where we are likely to be docked at a particular port. Or is this something we will only find out once on board? I've never thought about it before but we are considering doing an excursion for the first time not through P&O. Thanks in advance.

I wonder if anyone knows if I can find out where we are likely to be docked at a particular port. Or is this something we will only find out once on board? I've never thought about it before but we are considering doing an excursion for the first time not through P&O. Thanks in advance.

Doing a search on the relevant port authority site will often give you that information - look for cruise schedules for the dates you are interested in. If that doesn't provide the info you want, I would guess someone will be able to help with past experiences of the ports you are interested in. DiY is not only cheaper, it's also very easy at some ports and you can decide on your own schedule for the day and not be tied into others' pace and tour timings. Good luck with your planning.

There is a website that is always being suggested on here..cruise.net....or something.

Someone who knows it will post I guess.

Or put in something like (name of port)port and one of the things that comes up will be the port authority website..

Private tours, if they are any good at all will know when the ship is due in and when it is due to leave, and will have you back in good time.

Not a good advert for them to get people back late.

We will do a ships tour if it would be complicated to do on our own. Otherwise we diy.

What ports are you stopping at?

Thank you both for your replies. I did as suggested and googled New Orleans Port. I clicked on Vessel Schedule put in the date of our arrival and found where we would be docked. I really had no idea I could do that. Thank you I’ll always do that now.:)

Hi Pisces 14, I'm on that cruise too. We've booked a walking tour of the French Quarter and then we're taking the tram out to the Garden District on Day 1. We've also sorted out some music pubs and jazz clubs for the evening It is an amazing city and we loved it when we were there 3 years ago. Can't wait to go back. You're close to the centre and it's an easy walk into the city centre.

I did start a roll call for the cruise on this site but it never got going and there's also an even on FB. Can send you the details if you're interested. Not long now :)

Edited by tartanexile81

We are there in February on the Oceana. Not long now.:)

Hi Pisces 14, I'm on that cruise too. We've booked a walking tour of the French Quarter and then we're taking the tram out to the Garden District on Day 1. We've also sorted out some music pubs and jazz clubs for the evening It is an amazing city and we loved it when we were there 3 years ago. Can't wait to go back. You're close to the centre and it's an easy walk into the city centre.

I did start a roll call for the cruise on this site but it never got going and there's also an even on FB. Can send you the details if you're interested. Not long now :)

I think we have quite a few ports of call in common - I'd be really interested in any recommendations /advice you could give on your return. Most ports are new to us so any info would be very welcome. Have a wonderful time.

Which ship are you on kruzseeka and what ports? I've done similar itineraries a few times now so happy to share some of the things we've done.

Thanks tartantextile. :) We go on Oriana leaving in April. We go via Madeira (have been there before) also St Marten but everything else is new. We go to Ocho Rios, Progreso, NO, Key West, Port Everglades, Port Canavarel, Charleston, Bermuda, Azores and home. I think we share the US ports in the main so any suggestions would be really helpful. We prefer DiY when practical but are happy to go with ship's trips if expedient.

Thank you for your kind offer but I’m a little wary of Facebook (probably my age). I’m really pleased with the information people have been sharing with me on here.

That’s good news that we are close to the centre. We usually book our excursions with P&O as we are always worried about the ship leaving us behind. As we are in New Orleans overnight we thought we’d try ‘doing it ourselves’ and book something on the 26th. Then on the 27th we will probably walk into the town and look around as it’s so close. I thought we would have to take a taxi but it seems we won’t.

Thank you again for all the useful information.

I hope you enjoy the cruise and you enjoy yours Kruzseeka. It does look very similar to ours.

Happy New Year to you all.:D

Thanks tartantextile. :) We go on Oriana leaving in April. We go via Madeira (have been there before) also St Marten but everything else is new. We go to Ocho Rios, Progreso, NO, Key West, Port Everglades, Port Canavarel, Charleston, Bermuda, Azores and home. I think we share the US ports in the main so any suggestions would be really helpful. We prefer DiY when practical but are happy to go with ship's trips if expedient.

Hi Kruzseeka, we have only been to two of the ports. We did a trip to the falls in Ocho Rios. I would be a bit wary of DIY in Jamaica, but I know you are more adventurous than me ;) We also did a ship's trip from Ponta Delgada in the Azores which was very good. We did an island trip and it really is a beautiful island.

Sounds a very exotic cruise :) I hope you have a great time (Sure you will :D)

Hi Kruzseeka, we have only been to two of the ports. We did a trip to the falls in Ocho Rios. I would be a bit wary of DIY in Jamaica, but I know you are more adventurous than me ;) We also did a ship's trip from Ponta Delgada in the Azores which was very good. We did an island trip and it really is a beautiful island.

Sounds a very exotic cruise :) I hope you have a great time (Sure you will :D)

Thanks Linda. :) I must say we'd been looking at a beach transfer or the Falls in Jamaica. When we went to MoBay we went to a private beach and elected not to wander around and think we'll follow suit this time. That's a good idea for Ponta Delgarda too. It might be somewhere we don't go again so to see something of the island sounds like a good plan. Yes, this cruise is something very different for us. We're looking forward to it.

Happy New Year to you and enjoy your trips in 2016. ;)

Thanks Linda. :) I must say we'd been looking at a beach transfer or the Falls in Jamaica. When we went to MoBay we went to a private beach and elected not to wander around and think we'll follow suit this time. That's a good idea for Ponta Delgarda too. It might be somewhere we don't go again so to see something of the island sounds like a good plan. Yes, this cruise is something very different for us. We're looking forward to it.

Happy New Year to you and enjoy your trips in 2016. ;)

Kruzseeka, We DIY in most ports, very rarely any P&O tours. Like you we're doing a private beach at a hotel in Montego Bay booked with shoreexcursioneer. I do a lot of research on TripAdvisor before we go but we're always happy to change plans if we get a better offer!

New Orleans : Walkable from port, or you can take a tram from just outside port, to the French Market at end of French Quarter. Walk to Jackson Square and lots of the main sights / buildings are in that area. In the evening the bars in Bourbon Street are VERY lively. The Spotted Cat is a great jazz bar on Frenchman's and we had a meal at a quirky restaurant a few doors along – Italian with a Louisiana twist.

Key West – small island. We took a trolley bus tour of the island from square where shuttle drops you off. Shows you think you might want to take a closer look at it just gives you a feel from the place. Crew like a pub crawl along Duval.

Port Everglades - We did P&O trip to the “Everglades” which turned out to be an airboat ride at a safari park. VERY disappointing as we don't do animals in captivity. This time we're doing a private tour with Fort lauderdale Airboat Rides. There's also water taxi in Fort Lauderdale and the beach / Promenade is lovely. Ship's shuttle takes you to a shopping mall and you can get the water taxi from there

Port Canaveral - We did a day trip to Disney World last time.

Charleston – Very walkable. Town is close to port. Great market and beautiful historic buildings Carriage rides are very popular.

Azores – You dock in town. We're always so glad to set foot on land we're happy to explore the town. The Azores are prone to fog and rain so tours to the crater etc are sometimes tricky. We like the two botanical gardens and lovely old-fashioned Portuguese feel to the town. If you want to do a tour loads of taxi drivers are waiting with maps of island. Just make sure you use a registered driver.

Enjoy your cruise

Kruzseeka, We DIY in most ports, very rarely any P&O tours. Like you we're doing a private beach at a hotel in Montego Bay booked with shoreexcursioneer. I do a lot of research on TripAdvisor before we go but we're always happy to change plans if we get a better offer!

New Orleans : Walkable from port, or you can take a tram from just outside port, to the French Market at end of French Quarter. Walk to Jackson Square and lots of the main sights / buildings are in that area. In the evening the bars in Bourbon Street are VERY lively. The Spotted Cat is a great jazz bar on Frenchman's and we had a meal at a quirky restaurant a few doors along – Italian with a Louisiana twist.

Key West – small island. We took a trolley bus tour of the island from square where shuttle drops you off. Shows you think you might want to take a closer look at it just gives you a feel from the place. Crew like a pub crawl along Duval.

Port Everglades - We did P&O trip to the “Everglades” which turned out to be an airboat ride at a safari park. VERY disappointing as we don't do animals in captivity. This time we're doing a private tour with Fort lauderdale Airboat Rides. There's also water taxi in Fort Lauderdale and the beach / Promenade is lovely. Ship's shuttle takes you to a shopping mall and you can get the water taxi from there

Port Canaveral - We did a day trip to Disney World last time.

Charleston – Very walkable. Town is close to port. Great market and beautiful historic buildings Carriage rides are very popular.

Azores – You dock in town. We're always so glad to set foot on land we're happy to explore the town. The Azores are prone to fog and rain so tours to the crater etc are sometimes tricky. We like the two botanical gardens and lovely old-fashioned Portuguese feel to the town. If you want to do a tour loads of taxi drivers are waiting with maps of island. Just make sure you use a registered driver.

Enjoy your cruise

That is good information. I wish I'd had it before. We've booked the 'Everglades' with P&O.:(

That is good information. I wish I'd had it before. We've booked the 'Everglades' with P&O.:(

You can cancel as long as it's not too close to the date of the eccursion without penalty. Extract from the P&O site:

Should you wish to cancel a shore excursion you can do so via Cruise Personaliser. Cancellations can be made via the Cruise Personaliser no later than 3 days to departure. A full refund will be applied to the credit/debit card used to make the original payment. There may, however, be shore excursions that are non-refundable or incur a cancellation penalty or have an earlier cancellation deadline; details of this will be contained in the tour description.

If you wish to cancel within 3 days of departure please speak to your on board Shore Excursion Representative who will be able to assist. Cancellations cannot be made via the Cruise Personaliser within this time period.

Once on board, if you wish to cancel your shore excursions before the cancellation deadline (generally 48 hours prior to the arrival in port) a 10% cancellation fee will be applied to your on board account and the full amount paid will be refunded to your original credit/debit card.

So you should be able to follow up on tartanexile's suggestions if you prefer. Enjoy whatever you choose to do!

The airboat ride itself was fine and we were lucky enough to get the seat at the front so we could really feel the speed. I'd recommend that or at least get a seat at the side. Our disappointment was with the sightings of alligators which felt a bit contrived. Also quite a lot of time was taken up with seeing a display of trained wildlife but we just don't like these kind of displays. That's just our opinion and other people on the tour enjoyed it. I wish I hadn't said anything now!! Sorry

Thank you Kruzseeka but we probably won't cancel as we usually do the P&O excursions because we know the ship won't go without us. Unless we have been to a port before we prefer not to risk DIY.

Tartanexile81

Don't worry we are used to P&O excursions sometimes not being exactly as they portray them. I'm sure we'll enjoy the ride, and once we've visited the port should we ever go that way again we'll perhaps have the confidence to book the excursion you are doing. I've made a note of the company just in case.

My husband is doing an excursion I don't want to do in Key West, would you say it was safe enough for a woman to walk around the town by herself? Thanks in advance.