won't let me post--part 1

Joby

Thanks Budget Queen!

Another question/opinion-- since we would be traveling with our older and frailer Mom, what towns or glacier areas are best for: 1st timers, probably Mom's only time to Alaska, wildlife (both marine and land), overall scenery?

Mom now has decided that for tours/looking around:

-NO to helicopter tours, so that's out for her at least.

-YES to boat tours

-YES to bus, car, train tours

-YES to walking/wheeling her around places

-YES to cultural tours

-YES to any kind of widlife viewing (minus the 'copter!)

-MAYBE to plane tours

-NO crowded ship's tours--I set up everything myself

We are trying to pick a ship and itinerary and time of year that will fit with us the best overall and budget is very important to us.

We are trying to pick a ship and itinerary and time of year that will fit with us the best overall and budget is very important to us.

I have been looking at:

Celebrity Infinity June 11 for $1100-1200 pp

Vancouver, British Columbia Departure Depart 5:45 PM

Inside Passage (Cruising) Cruising

Ketchikan, Alaska Docked 7:00 AM Depart 4:00 PM

Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) 3:00 PM Depart 5:00 PM

Juneau, Alaska Docked 8:00 AM Depart 9:00 PM

Sitka, Alaska Tendered 8:00 AM Depart 4:00 PM

Inside Passage Cruising

Vancouver, British Columbia

Top scenery, Klondike Highway drive to Emerald Lake, with Murray's wonderful guide. Whale watch boat tour. You really don't have good options for land animals since most all require a fly in then walking. Best recommendation here would be Denali Park with a one way cruise.

It's simple and easy to go independent, so no worries there. :) Plenty of help on this board for first hand information. Have your mother look over an online shore excursion list and make a more specific list. Then you can get specific information on that tour option. I do agree, seeing Alaska from the air is a must do, with my top recommendation a glaicer helicopter landing. :)

CruiseIsGood, Mom doesn't drive anymore and although her fears may be unfounded, they ARE her fears. At this stage in her life, we honor whatever she wants to do with the little time she may have.

Stick to offering helpful info or don't waste the time!

Budget Queen, thanks again for the info.

We may get her to fly in a small plane as I've read several posts about. She just says a big NO to the 'copter!

Due to budget, we will need to have a RT cruise, so we are looking strongly at a Vancouver RT from suggestions on this board about Vancouver being the more scenic RT route.

We are trying to decide which ship offers the majority of what we want/need--best itinerary, best ship and cost for us and our Mom.

Do you have a suggestion as to which ship--the Infinity or the Serenade (from my previous posts) that might have the better itinerary and be the better ship for our trip? We are also considering other lines/ships.

The Infinity itinerary is very nice, could you also post the other??

Key perhaps, look at ports, time in ports, glacier, route, price.

Also consider joining me on a CC group Alaska cruise, with an excellent itinerary. :)

http://cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=87

The Infinity itinerary is very nice, could you also post the other??

Key perhaps, look at ports, time in ports, glacier, route, price.

Also consider joining me on a CC group Alaska cruise, with an excellent itinerary. :)

http://cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=87

The Serenade itinerary is very similar except it stops at Skagway instead of Sitka. Maybe see which port you would prefer to see? If you want to take the drive to Emerald Lake or the White Pass Rail then you would need to go to Skagway.

That was kinda harsh!:(

It's really not. The helicopter tours are the only way to see the real beauty of Alaska. Floatplanes can get you some visibility, but not landings, and you can't enjoy the beauty of the glaciers without them. If you want to see Alaska, you just can't do it from the towns. The OP could have a discussion with her and print out the safety records of the helicopters in that particular town--although all towns have excellent records. Ok, I should have provided those. The take-offs and landings are smooth as glass. And more people have helicopter or pilot's licenses in Alaska than driver's licenses. It's just the way you get around in many places.

She may be old, but unless she's mentally infirm, the statistics should help her calm down. My parents are almost 70.

The records are here: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp#query_start

Archived