Worried about terrible Pacific Aria reviews

Chexie

Hi all, I have paid for my husband, myself and my elderly mother to go on the Pacific Aria in February. Paid for this before she started sailing with P&O and now that I'm reading the first reviews from both the Eden and Aria I'm worried that I've made a bad choice. This will be hubby's first cruise and I'd hate for it to be a disappointment for him. All the reviews of lifts breaking down, limited comfortable seating and sub-par food is a worry. My mother will not cope if she needs to walk up and down stairs. We are going on the cruise as they are generally ideal holidays for elderly with easy access to various levels via lifts. I know, I know, first world problems, but this is the first world and I haven't dished out my hard-earned money for anything less than the usual P&O cruise experience (at the very least) and chose the Aria because she was supposed to have had a total overhaul and left looking like new. P&O are describing these ships as their "new, luxe ships" but the reviews are telling a very different and worrying story. I'd be keen to know from more recent cruisers whether P&O have done anything to address the issues as yet or if they still remain. I'm just wondering if I should try to get my money back and go on a different ship or if it's safe to get excited? Also noted that most people who have posted harsh criticism have not posted photos so other than the glossy promo photos where everything looks spick and span and absolutely gorgeous I have seen a few photos of buckets catching leaks in eating spaces on here but not of much else. Anyone have photos to share of their cruise on the Aria? This was my Christmas present to my darling Mum and I don't want it to be a dud.

I wouldn't worry, apparently Aria is a great ship, mind that all those negative reviews were from the very first sailing, and with people who pick at everything to find something wrong with the ship, if you look at all the reviews there are few that say it's really good.

Check in the next couple of day's for more reviews, is it just came back from a 12 day cruise.

Again...if your going to go on a holiday to pick what's wrong with it. Your not going to have a good time. Plenty of Chronic whingers on Cruise Critic, lol.

I have read all the review of both ship and I have never, ever seen such bad ones. They are long, detailed horror stories. Check out the you tube videos. I am top tier on princess and 4 star on Hal. Did one po au on the dawn years ago. It was ok but just over from princess and the crew couldn't wait to transfer to another princess ship.

I was looking at one of the NG and Solomon cruises. You couldn't give me that for free.

I did cruise #2 on Aria and am going back on 3 Jan 2016 for Fiji 11 days. Will post a balanced review on return.

My experience - most of the issues were teething issues which will be well sorted out by Feb (if not now). Overall the ship was OK, much better decor that Dawn/Jewel.

These 2 ships arrived in Singapore in very well maintained condition from Holland America - I was on Pacific Eden ex Statendam.

The problems are all caused by too many inexperienced crew who may have just started work on a cruise ship & more senior experienced ones not being used to the ship. P&O Aust. have made a real hash of the takeover with too many inexperienced crew. Things will get better as time goes by.

There are I think 12 lifts & it's very unlikely more than 1 would be out of operation at a time. The ships both had a major internal conversion & normal maintenance to pass survey.

As others have said - go with an open mind & enjoy your holiday cruise onboard these great ships.

Thank you for the replies. We aren't whingers and are generally appreciative of having a holiday so attitude isn't going to be a problem. The reviews are mostly horrid so far, absolutely scathing, although I did jump onto YouTube as jig suggested and the reviews weren't horrible and did sound like teething problems that need some sorting. I have called P&O this morning to voice my concerns and was told that they are aware of the reviews and are working hard to rectify everything. I was told that by Feb all should be running smoothly, however, I was given the option to speak to my travel agent and change cruise ships if I wish. I will wait for now to read some later reviews and will keep my fingers crossed that they are much more positive (looking forward to PacificBear's review).

There are I think 12 lifts & it's very unlikely more than 1 would be out of operation at a time.

On the Aria, all lifts in stern lift well were non operational for the entire cruise. This meant that people with disabilities could not get to the MDR as no other lift well has access to the MDR. In the other two lift well, only perhaps 2 of the 4 lifts were working (maybe three at times).

I'm sorry but that response is horrible. Feb? are they discounting all the people paying full price for Jan? This is not a fly by night company. I have no idea who they hired but they need to fire people, take the ships off line and fix everything. If not the narrative will be what's wrong for a very long time. I don't think the will do that but it is how you kill and rewrite the story.

Pretty sure he just said February to me as that's when we are due to leave. I felt like he was trying to tell me what I wanted to hear- yeah, yeah, everything will be fixed by the time you are due to go on the Aria....who knows? If I said I'm due to sail on her in Jan he prob would have said the same thing. :rolleyes: I will be looking closely at any new reviews between now and then.

Hi Chexie

With risk of being sensationally flamed, if I were you, I would be trying to get as much refund as I could and go on a different cruise line, such as Princess or Celebrity, which offer so much more in the way of newer ships, service, extras, food quality etc etc.

I have been on all of the P&O ships (except the last 2 "new" ones). My last was the Pearl and after that one I decided that was the last with P&O.

When you are going on a cruise half of the fun is the excitement and anticipation leading up to the cruise. You are not supposed to feel dread and apprehension of what you've got yourself into.

If you can't change your cruise, if I were you, I would not read any more reviews and go with an open mind and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Back on the Aria for second time, been onboard for one day now. I am pleased to say a marked improvements in the ship. My opinions are below:

Boarding - Very smooth, check in staff seem to know how the new computer system works and it was very efficient

Dinning - The Restaurant seems to have simplified its menu and seems to be working better (although less food choices). Some things that people have commented upon are still there (small tables, no tablecloths). All food was hot when delivered. I ate at Angelo's last night, but there was a line of people waiting at the MDR around 7.30pm, so presume access is still an issue (which you would expect with a 400 seat MDR for 1,600 pax).

Muster - I am not a fan of the muster on external decks. I think it would be unsafe in a real emergency (who would want to be outside in heavy seas withs staff trying to launch a lifeboat about you head). Both experiences of the muster, I have seen people taken away for fainting. I think this needs reconsidering.

Ship Condition - Managed to speak to a few senior ship officers, they have all commented on the ship being not to P&O desired condition upon hand over (you may have seen the video on facebook of water in staircases which was blamed on the condition of the ship form HAL). I have taken some photo's of poor conditions things (rust, etc). Just my opinion (and others will disagree), I feel HAL may have let maintenance go a little. Condition of the ship does seems to be improving on second voyage after a few weeks of P&O service. All lifts have been working so far. I do not know why, however the viewing deck above the dome has been closed. Will try asking why later in the cruise.

Entertainment - Seems to be fairly well organised, however I don't think they have it fully smoothed out yet. Some activities do not seem to suite the location (running trivia in show lounge for example).

Kids club (HQ & HQ+) seems to have been moved to the conference rooms on deck 6 near the wine bar, however they will need to do some building work.

Will post more comments later.

Your comments and observations are much appreciated - please keep them coming.

We are thinking of booking the Papua New Guinea cruise for 2017 and I was quite worried about the early reviews. We cruised on the Ryndam in 2008 and she was fine then (of course, that was a long time ago :))

Hopefully things will continue to improve.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Edited by Paulchili

Also cruising on the Pacific Aria in February 2016 and very worried. We have 3 Cunards and 4 Princesses under our belts and booked on the Aria as she is going to PNG for the first time. Given her many, many problems, we are worried about how she will operate in the unfamiliar waters of PNG.

We also await Pacific Bear's report.

I presume that Australian Consumer legislation covers cruising operations.

Also cruising on the Pacific Aria in February 2016 and very worried. We have 3 Cunards and 4 Princesses under our belts and booked on the Aria as she is going to PNG for the first time. Given her many, many problems, we are worried about how she will operate in the unfamiliar waters of PNG.

We also await Pacific Bear's report.

I presume that Australian Consumer legislation covers cruising operations.

As we plan this cruise for 2017, I would be very much interested in your impressions and experiences on the PNG cruise.

TIA

Fingers crossed further improvements will be made before we board for the Australia Day cruise down to Sydney. There are 10 of us in total including my parents (92 and 84) who we are surprising with a balcony upgrade.

This will be our first P&O cruise. One couple with us has been on Dawn twice, the most recent after the refurb that gave her The Pantry etc, that they really liked.

We're glass half full people so will hope for the best. There's no way I'm going to let four of our group know about the negative reviews as they are glass half empty people, actually glass mostly empty people!

I've noticed generally the comments I'm reading are getting more positive... I'd suggest things are improving. There is a closed group on Facebook called pacific Eden/aria fan page that worth a look. While they do remove some of the extreme whinges the general tone has changed from smiling through gritted teeth to some genuine positivity.

I did cruise #2 on Aria and am going back on 3 Jan 2016 for Fiji 11 days. Will post a balanced review on return.

My experience - most of the issues were teething issues which will be well sorted out by Feb (if not now). Overall the ship was OK, much better decor that Dawn/Jewel.

Thanks for posting your review. I am feeling much more positive about our May sailing on Aria. Have they sorted the issues with the lifts? How Was the tender service ?

Thanks for posting your review. I am feeling much more positive about our May sailing on Aria. Have they sorted the issues with the lifts? How Was the tender service ?

Yes lifts have been sorted out. On any given day there was probably one lift (out of eight) out of service, but rest were OK. Tender is fine - just usual issues of swell when getting on, etc.

P&O have replaced some of the tender boats with larger new tender boats, however you sit in them like a troop carriers (facing sideways) and they do not have many windows. Problem with this is they get extremely hot, and when the rocking of the ocean moves them about, because of the heat and no windows, causes a few people to feel sick.

My husband and I had a most enjoyable cruise on Aria. We have no complaints whatsoever with either the accommodation, crew or food. We tried the Pantry a few times, at lunch, what we had we enjoyed. The Waterfront was our main eating place and we have no complaints about the food or service. As for tablecloths, we weren't worried. The service of our cabin steward was excellent, and he was very helpful especially as my husband had trouble with his walking. The reason we took this cruise was because we were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. We had inquired about renewing our wedding vows and we received the best ever attention. Nothing was too much trouble and I must praise Chloe from reception who went out of her way to make this special day extra special. The ceremony, by the Captain, went off without a hitch and the Blue Room was made to look like a small chapel with artificial roses and candles lining the sides of the red carpet. It made for a fabulous day.

Overall the cruise was fabulous and although there were some small glitches, they were overtaken by the friendliness of the crew and of the cruise director Zoltina. What a fantastic effervescent personality and we look forward to seeing her again when next we sail with P&O. They are so lucky to have such an amazing ambassador for the line.

On embarkation, we were on our way home by 7am, no hold ups at all.

We have travelled on other lines but we much prefer to travel P&O.

Cabin No: 5207