Carnival Dream - Sewage smell?

trj1020

I have been researching for our first cruise in December 2016. I came across numerous reviews from 2012 and earlier saying there was a sewage smell onboard the Dream does anyone who has cruised on the Dream recently know if the sewage smell is still an issue and if so are they addressing this issues? Thanks!

Same thing on the Breeze, only in the aft of the boat or if the wind changes. Even smelt it in the piano bar on deck 4 or 5. Must be a design flaw with that class of ship. I believe it must come out of the same area where the exhaust fumes come out of.

Sorry if my questions are dumb but I am a rookie cruiser. Is the smell bad enough to make you not want to return or just a mild unpleasant smell from time to time? After all, I plan to be outside alot or wandering the ship more than in my cabin, etc.

Edited by trj1020

I haven't been on the Dream but I have cruised a few times and read daily cruise related information.

Please take most reviews with a grain of salt. If a person has any unpleasant experience they are more likely to post a review than the multitude of happy cruisers.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and that this will be the first of many.

Sorry if my questions are dumb but I am a rookie cruiser. Is the smell bad enough to make you not want to return or just a mild unpleasant smell from time to time? After all, I plan to be outside alot or wandering the ship more than in my cabin, etc.

Definitely not a bother, just an occasional smell if you smell it at all. Not something that would make me not want to return.

There was a stack ventilation design problem early on for the Dream. Nothing to do with sewage. It got fixed about 3-4 months after coming stateside. Topic crops up every now and again. Believe me if it was as big of an issue as some early posters made it out to be and it was still present, you would have seen very recent reviews not 4 year old reviews commenting on it and all the hundreds of thousands of cruisers who've sailed on the Dream would have inundated John Heald with complaint posts. If you have a sensitive nose, there are times on all ships when you can smell a similar odor.

There was a stack ventilation design problem early on for the Dream. Nothing to do with sewage. It got fixed about 3-4 months after coming stateside. Topic crops up every now and again. Believe me if it was as big of an issue as some early posters made it out to be and it was still present, you would have seen very recent reviews not 4 year old reviews commenting on it and all the hundreds of thousands of cruisers who've sailed on the Dream would have inundated John Heald with complaint posts. If you have a sensitive nose, there are times on all ships when you can smell a similar odor.

Hasn't been fixed on the Breeze yet, at least as of August 2015. Glad they fixed it on the Dream.

Just got off the Dream on Sunday. I was worried too about the reports of smells. Not a problem. I smelled it twice as I walked down Deck 7 to our cabin. Each time, there were mechanics working in the hallway and had a panel door open. Never smelled it in our cabin or in any other area.

Hasn't been fixed on the Breeze yet, at least as of August 2015. Glad they fixed it on the Dream.

I didn't recall ever smelling it on the Breeze at all in 2012. Maybe a little on our 1st Dream cruise, but never on the other two. You sure Dumb and Dumber Too or Blazing Saddles weren't showing in August?:p;)

Don't worry about it at all. Not a problem. I have caught this passing whiff on just about every ship I've been on, as I have a very strong sense of smell. It just comes with the territory of being on a ship, although not everybody will catch even 1 whiff during their cruise. This is not unique to the Dream or to Carnival. I've also caught the whiff on a Princess ship.

However, it was especially bad on the Dream during the first few months that she was sailing. There was a design flaw, and it got resolved quickly enough. I sailed the Dream the 1st time just 7 months after she started, and there was no problem at all. 2 more cruises since then, still no problem at all. Because of those first few months back in 2009, people will continue stumbling upon either the original reports or people asking about the original reports, or people asking about the reports of the original reports, etc, etc. As I said, it's basically just a passing whiff here & there, if anything.

I have been researching for our first cruise in December 2016. I came across numerous reviews from 2012 and earlier saying there was a sewage smell onboard the Dream does anyone who has cruised on the Dream recently know if the sewage smell is still an issue and if so are they addressing this issues? Thanks!

We were on the Dream during Christmas 2015 and were on Deck 2 Aft. We smelled the sewage on 6 of 7 days, mostly by the elevators.

I believe I have seen recent reviews that reference this issue. If I find one I will add a link to it.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=513831

"Sept '15:...The sewer smell was on the aft portion of deck 8 and 7. It smelled absolutely like overflowing sewer. This complaint was raised several times with no results. "

Wouldnt suprise me, my parents recently were on the ship and said the ventilation was terrible. Even the fan in their bathroom wasnt drawing any air like on other ships. Think Ill stick to the Conquest ships or smaller.

So you read 3 year old reviews. From 2012 till now, how many remarks have been made on this? Yes, a few have come forth on this thread, but only with some prodding.

We were on the Dream January 2014 and the sewage smell was incredibly strong near the elevators a couple times. It definitely wasn't a big enough problem to stop me from going on a cruise. It was concentrated to that 1 area and only happened a couple times. Definitely not a deal-breaker.

On one of my 4 cruises on the Dream I smelled a faint sewage odor in the cabin bathroom. I ran the water in the sink and shower for a few minutes and the smell was gone for the entire cruise. I would not worry about odors on the Dream. Most, if not all ships, have sewage odors from time to time...