What's up Galveston April 23-24?

39august

Is there something special going on in Galveston that weekend? Hotels are sky-high and some are showing already sold out, some only a few rooms left. I also looked at the next weekend, May 1, and it seemed about the same situation. Can any one enlighten me?

There are no events that I know of during that time, but there could be a convention (or two).

FeatherFest is two weeks prior so that will be over. Spring break is in March so can only attest to conventions.

Not sure what you mean by "sky-high" as rates are very subjective.

The official City of Galveston website, Galveston.com, shows availability at every hotel on the island with prices from $57 to $299.

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

I'm not sure about this year, but last year we were in town the same general time in April--and it was the exact same situation. Last year it was due to a Wine festival and a women's convention, and some kind of marathon. It shot prices WAYYY up. To the point that MOTEL 6 was asking $95/nt. We did a priceline for a 4* and got our room for $190 nt. It was crazy! Our dates for cruising this time are only a few weeks past that weekend, and the Galvez is only asking #119 a nt. Which was the hotel we wanted last year, but they were asking $360 nt for mid-late April dates. I feel your pain, we dealt with that last year!

Some of the hotels that say they are booked up may have a 2 night requirement. We booked our room for April 16th as soon as they made reservations available. At that time it was $83. Now it is $238. They seem to go up the closer it gets to the dates you want. It used to not be that bad but we may have to start staying on the other side of the bridge if they keep going up like they have been.

I'd say that $194 (including tax) is sky high for Commodore. That is what I have booked at this point. I am calling Gaido's next week to see if they are really booked up as shown, or if it's the 2 night minimum thing. Thanks for your comments, Tammy.

Edited by 39august

I'd say that $194 (including tax) is sky high for Commodore. That is what I have booked at this point. I am calling Gaido's next week to see if they are really booked up as shown, or if it's the 2 night minimum thing. Thanks for your comments, Tammy.

I hope you are able to find something reasonably priced. Another thing is that people say sometimes if you call you will get a better rate.

Have a great cruise!