Help with a Family Disagreement...

Garavar

I turned 14 years old in November 1998, and I don't remember any of this cruise. Not even 1 second, which is strange cause I remember a lot of other things from when I was 14.

My mother tells me I didnt like the cruise, she said that they didnt have food available at all times and my sister and I were hungry and couldnt get anything. She said there also wasnt a hot dog or burger station (or buffet) available to get a quick bite and we had to use the dinning room to eat most times.

I figured out why I look so young in the photo she showed me. Its because the photo is from a 1989/1990 xmas cruise we took with my cousin. (My cousin was not on the 1998 Disney Ship because our booking was for 4 people - Mother/Father, Sister and Myself).

Unfortunately, the discovery of our sailing on 1998 Magic has not ended this argument, because now she is saying the 1989/1990 sailing was on "Carnival's the Big Red Boat with Looney Tunes Characters."

Wrong again mom, on so many levels cause 1) Carnival didnt own Big Red Boat and neither Carnival or Big Red Boat had Looney Tunes Characters in 1989/1990. :rolleyes:

I think it is time to smile and go with "Whatever you say, mom."

As to food issues....I can't speak to what it was like in December. On the real maiden voyage in July, there were lines taking as long as 45-60 minutes waiting to be seated for lunch. There were restricted hours and DCL had not learned how to spread out people to different venues, etc. They just didn't have their act together in so many ways.

There were 3 runnings of each show (all in the evening), and you had to show your ticket to get into the theatre. Disney Dreams was good. "The Voyage of the Ghost Ship" was....peculiar. Not a good show OR a good choice for DCL. They tended to have one "activity" scheduled at a time, rather than the large selection that they have now. I guess they figured that if you weren't at that activity you'd be in the pool or something. They did NOT have the characters out for meet and greets. The characters appeared on stage, in a ceremony with the Bahamian officials welcoming the ship, etc. but not out greeting guests at all (we asked. 7 year old was told that "Captain Mickey is busy steering the ship. He doesn't have time for children." No kidding!

They did have the fast food outlets open, but I think the hours were more restricted than now.

Edited by moki'smommy

Haha, thanks for updating!

I've got somewhat faulty memory so I can understand both OP and mom. Personally, I remember "snapshots" of my life for the most part. It's like they're photos, not videos.

I was on the Big Red Boat I sometime in the 80s, and I remember like one "photo" from that cruise. Other cruises roughly around that time, I have more video like memories. Pretty sure I went in 98 when Disney finally opened their own line and it's all "snapshots" from that cruise too, although I remember loving it and what I loved in particular. Memory is a funny thing, and why I'm so insistent on taking tons of photos and videos cuz my memory isn't the best.

An update for those 4 people who are invested in this thread...

Called Disney Cruise Lines and was on hold for 20 minutes before speaking with anyone (Royal and Carnival has you on hold for 2 minutes tops...hmm)

Anyway, Representative pulled me up on the system she said I was on December 25, 1998 Disney Magic.

So I guess my mother was kind of right and kind of wrong. I believed I was never on Disney so I was flat out wrong. But she thought it was first ever sailing, when in fact it was the first Xmas sailing.

Funny note: Rep said my "Castaway Club" number is only 6 digits, she said they are up to 8 digits now.

That is very cool, thanks for posting. I think it is time for you to take advantage of your Silver Castaway Club status and cruise DCL again!

That is very cool, thanks for posting. I think it is time for you to take advantage of your Silver Castaway Club status and cruise DCL again!

We will in a couple of more years when my niece is older.

I took 2 different "Big Red Boat" Cruises as a kid with Disney Characters in back to back year and my parents took one themselves in between the two I was on. I believe they had 3 ships out at the same at one point because I went on the Oceanic and Majestic, and my parents cruised on the Atlantic. Might your mother be confusing the Magic with the Majestic? I may not have my facts 100% correct as I was also pretty young I think around 8-10 and I am now 33, but I did talk to my father and he believes I am correct.

Edited:

Sorry I just saw your post saying you were in fact on the Magic. I guess I should have checked that there was a second page before posting. :p

Edited by surran12