seconds thoughts about emerald princess

arlee

We sailed EMERALD PRINCESS December 19-27, 2015, in Caribe 742, unfortunately not without mechanical and service difficulties and our surveys back to PRINCESS expressed our dissatisfaction.

Mostly, we were disappointed, as this was totally out of the ordinary standard that we have enjoyed on our previous PRINCESS experiences. We saw many cutbacks from our June 2015 cruise to this cruise.

Our first evening on-board, no hot water in our cabin - sink or shower.

The next morning, only scalding hot water, in the sink, shower and toilet! We called the Front Desk to report it and was scolded that it was just a consequences of the dry dock and that we would just have to get accustom to it and if we needed to shower, we could do so at the Spa. For 2 days, we were forced to shower and brush teeth at the Spa because the water was dangerously hot. Inconvenient, but we got through it and on the third day, we had normal water temps and were able to regulate it at our will.

Overall we felt the service was lacking compare to all other PRINCESS experiences. Hubby had a soda package and he had servers turn away when he showed his card and requested a soda. The Horizon Court service was minimal. Waiting nearly 30 minutes for a glass of juice or cup of coffee.

Our fixed dining server was good, but clearly overloaded with two tables of ten (one of those tables were ten teens and pre-teens) and six tables of two.

During the last sea day, a extremely interesting documentary (without a moderator) of the early December 2015 dry dock was shown in the Princess theater to a standing-room only crowd (why it wasn't scheduled more than once puzzled us). Interestingly it captured what was accomplished throughout the ship and the logistics to support such a project. In additional to the hull inspection, repair and painting, propeller maintenance, upgrade to the MUTS screen, new carpet was installed in public areas, but not cabin hallways or cabins. Every cabin received new mattresses. All theater seats were reupholstered. Theater lighting and graphics updates. Sabatini's transformed into Share and the Wheelhouse addition of The Salty Dog Gastropub.

We sailed EMERALD PRINCESS December 19-27, 2015, in Caribe 742, unfortunately not without mechanical and service difficulties and our surveys back to PRINCESS expressed our dissatisfaction.

Mostly, we were disappointed, as this was totally out of the ordinary standard that we have enjoyed on our previous PRINCESS experiences. We saw many cutbacks from our June 2015 cruise to this cruise.

Our first evening on-board, no hot water in our cabin - sink or shower.

The next morning, only scalding hot water, in the sink, shower and toilet! We called the Front Desk to report it and was scolded that it was just a consequences of the dry dock and that we would just have to get accustom to it and if we needed to shower, we could do so at the Spa. For 2 days, we were forced to shower and brush teeth at the Spa because the water was dangerously hot. Inconvenient, but we got through it and on the third day, we had normal water temps and were able to regulate it at our will.

Overall we felt the service was lacking compare to all other PRINCESS experiences. Hubby had a soda package and he had servers turn away when he showed his card and requested a soda. The Horizon Court service was minimal. Waiting nearly 30 minutes for a glass of juice or cup of coffee.

Our fixed dining server was good, but clearly overloaded with two tables of ten (one of those tables were ten teens and pre-teens) and six tables of two.

During the last sea day, a extremely interesting documentary (without a moderator) of the early December 2015 dry dock was shown in the Princess theater to a standing-room only crowd (why it wasn't scheduled more than once puzzled us). Interestingly it captured what was accomplished throughout the ship and the logistics to support such a project. In additional to the hull inspection, repair and painting, propeller maintenance, upgrade to the MUTS screen, new carpet was installed in public areas, but not cabin hallways or cabins. Every cabin received new mattresses. All theater seats were reupholstered. Theater lighting and graphics updates. Sabatini's transformed into Share and the Wheelhouse addition of The Salty Dog Gastropub.

Very informative, thank you!

Sounds interesting. Do you recall what time of day it was presented? Morning or afternoon?

It was the day after Christmas at 130pm

Thanks. I just wanted to definitely get a seat & see what they did & didn't do to that ship.

Sorry to hear about your problems in C742. They've had water problems before on that ship but were always able to fix them in a reasonable amount of time. I can understand that breakdowns occur form time to time but the way they dealt with your situation wasn't typically Princess's style.

Sounds as though they were overwhelmed with customer complaints at the time.

we are sailing on the princess in March. we were looking forward to this vacation, now we're very uncertain about it, having read some very disappointing reviews. this is our first time on princess. we've sailed twice on NCL. I've read that there were many problems on the emerald - water A/C service not up to par,food not good etc etc. not want you want to read after you booked your cruise! I thought that since the ship was in drydock for 2 weeks, they would refurbish the cabins and have new wonderful mattresses - don't know if this is correct

is there anyone who's recently sailed on the emerald give me some insight. we were going to sail on the regal since it's a newer ship. now I think we've made a bad decision!

We just returned from 8 days on the Emerald and have no complaints. New mattresses, good food and service. Didnt find the espresso to be very good this time. Specialty dining very good. Main dining room fine - only one dish not up to snuff. Will say that the service in anytime dining was a bit disorganized, but was better when we didnt share a table. Dont miss happy hour. 3-4 each day in wheelhouse.

Have fun!

Sent from my SGP312 using Forums mobile app

We just returned from 8 days on the Emerald and have no complaints. New mattresses, good food and service. Didnt find the espresso to be very good this time. Specialty dining very good. Main dining room fine - only one dish not up to snuff. Will say that the service in anytime dining was a bit disorganized, but was better when we didnt share a table. Dont miss happy hour. 3-4 each day in wheelhouse.

Have fun!

Sent from my SGP312 using Forums mobile app

What cabin & deck were you on?

we are already booked on the emerald. I was just concerned about the poor reviews - that's all

I know exactly where you are coming from! We mainly cruise with Celebrity but decided to try Princess on the Emerald, there are a lot of complaints about AC and toilet problem, it is worrying, the most recent on here are Caribe deck which is where we will be, food etc not a problem we are all different but I do like AC working in the Med in May, we pay balance in 5 days so watching what is happening. Margaret

I know exactly where you are coming from! We mainly cruise with Celebrity but decided to try Princess on the Emerald, there are a lot of complaints about AC and toilet problem, it is worrying, the most recent on here are Caribe deck which is where we will be, food etc not a problem we are all different but I do like AC working in the Med in May, we pay balance in 5 days so watching what is happening. Margaret

We are going to be on the Caribe deck beginning January 23 (hopefully that is after a MAJOR Princess screw up). Seriously, our last trip on the Star to Hawaii was not good. All the bad reviews on the Emerald have me worried. We do not expect perfection, but with the $$$$ we are spending on this cruise I do expect AC..the toilets to flush, a hot shower, and good food. This is going to be the deciding cruise as to whether we will be back with Princess again. Wish us luck and I will report back! The food on Princess always use to be pretty good. Don't fix it if it's not broke Princess! Meatloaf?? :confused:

From what I've read on these boards, it sounds like a lot of toilet problems are caused by people flushing down things that should not be flushed. Also, people who like to leave their balcony doors open for the "fresh air" can seriously disrupt the AC for a whole block of cabins. So sometimes a little consideration and common sense can go a long way! No hot water, though, sounds like a systems problem - hopefully, they've got it (& the other problems) taken care of!

napunani, it was good to read that you expressed your complaints/dissatisfactions to Princess as well as here. I'm wondering if you got any acknowledgement from them or followup call.

From what I've read on these boards, it sounds like a lot of toilet problems are caused by people flushing down things that should not be flushed. Also, people who like to leave their balcony doors open for the "fresh air" can seriously disrupt the AC for a whole block of cabins. So sometimes a little consideration and common sense can go a long way! No hot water, though, sounds like a systems problem - hopefully, they've got it (& the other problems) taken care of!

napunani, it was good to read that you expressed your complaints/dissatisfactions to Princess as well as here. I'm wondering if you got any acknowledgement from them or followup call.

No response from Princess. I really don't expect a response. Do they really respond so their surveys? If they do, I'll certainly post here on CC.

We are going to be on the Caribe deck beginning January 23 (hopefully that is after a MAJOR Princess screw up). Seriously, our last trip on the Star to Hawaii was not good. All the bad reviews on the Emerald have me worried. We do not expect perfection, but with the $$$$ we are spending on this cruise I do expect AC..the toilets to flush, a hot shower, and good food. This is going to be the deciding cruise as to whether we will be back with Princess again. Wish us luck and I will report back! The food on Princess always use to be pretty good. Don't fix it if it's not broke Princess! Meatloaf?? :confused:

I honestly don't put much faith in the reviews about the food as we've never had bad food on the dozens of Princess cruises we've been on. As other say it's subjective.

We have had the water problem on the emerald before & it was a stuck valve which services a group of cabins and that also can be fixed rather quickly.

The one problem that does concern me is the AC which we've experienced on the Emerald once before and nothing could be done to adjust it, even after numerous visits by maintenance and engineers. I truly believe it's a design problem & thought for sure that it would be corrected by now.

Hoping for the best.

We board on the 30th of this month and I am very concerned about the things I am reading about this ship. Last cruise Len was sick with noro and If this cruise has AC or toilet problems I am afraid it will be our last with princess. I hope things are fixed by the 30th

I honestly don't put much faith in the reviews about the food as we've never had bad food on the dozens of Princess cruises we've been on. As other say it's subjective.

We have had the water problem on the emerald before & it was a stuck valve which services a group of cabins and that also can be fixed rather quickly.

The one problem that does concern me is the AC which we've experienced on the Emerald once before and nothing could be done to adjust it, even after numerous visits by maintenance and engineers. I truly believe it's a design problem & thought for sure that it would be corrected by now.

Hoping for the best.

Seems like the a/c problem is mostly the same group of cabins

All I can say is that our experience on the Emerald last May was the highlight of our lives. Great service, probably the best MDR service we've ever had. Wonderful times spent in the International Cafe and Sushi Bar with some fab servers. Superb entertainment and the food was a major YUM YUM. We loved our two weeks onboard and can't wait to sail her again.

I'm on the Emerald right now. It's been a great cruise and I have not had any issues except for a few ignorant passengers and the mad house at breakfast in the morning (both go hand and hand). As for the ac, it's not great but you just need to keep your curtains closed during the day and your room will stay cool. I'm on riveria deck

I'm on the Emerald right now. It's been a great cruise and I have not had any issues except for a few ignorant passengers and the mad house at breakfast in the morning (both go hand and hand). As for the ac, it's not great but you just need to keep your curtains closed during the day and your room will stay cool. I'm on riveria deck

If you are talking about the HC then thats a good reason to head to the DR.

It's always been that way at peak breakfast hours. If you go before 7:30 AM it's just the normal crowd.