No formal night?

So we're booked on the Empress at the end of April.

I saw something on the RCL blog (http://www.******************.com/2015/12/23/5-quick-facts-about-royal-caribbeans-empress-of-the-seas) that said something about no formal nights and then no formal nights for MTD (http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/royal-caribbean-to-bring-empress-of-the-seas-to-miami/). Is this normal on the shorter cruises or new to the Empress?

Any ideas if its just for the MTD and anyone that chose the classic with set time may still have a formal night? (Its one of my favorite parts of cruising)

I'm becoming more and more nervous about this cruise, but it was the best price for where we wanted to go.

Formal nights are still held on other 3/4 day cruises.

But probably not for long. I was surprised that they eliminated formal night on Celebrity before Royal. It's just a matter of time.

The press releases about Empress do indicate no formal nights, which makes perfect sense for how they are marketing Empress right now.

Edited by publicpersona

I would guess smart casual every night.

Really, dress however you'd like. If you want to go upscale, go upscale. You don't need them to designate a certain time for you to do so. I am sure there will be photo opportunities every night.

I strongly suspect that "Royal Night" will replace Formal Nights soon.

I would guess smart casual every night.

Really, dress however you'd like. If you want to go upscale, go upscale. You don't need them to designate a certain time for you to do so. I am sure there will be photo opportunities every night.

I strongly suspect that "Royal Night" will replace Formal Nights soon.

What's that??!

What's that??!

That's what they are doing on Quantum-Class ships; they designate a night as Royal Night. Similar to Norwegian Night Out. Dress up if you please (in reality, this is available all nights, but some need prompting).

It was announced last spring, but not much said on here about what makes a Royal Night a Royal Night in terms of theming, special events, etc.

Many cruise lines are rebranding their Formal Nights as something else, but not doing anything to make it a special occasion.

Whatever they call it, or don't call it, since Empress is a short cruise do not expect lobster to be served