Food Budget? Places to Eat?

txwriter

One nice thing about threads like this is sometimes you learn more than you contribute. For instance, Arctickitty from Adak pointed out a number of interesting places we hadn't tried and a couple we like but haven't been to for some time.

As I mentioned, we live in mid-town, since I like to drink fine wine while dining I'm reluctant to drive all the way down town and risk the myriad of cops down there on prime evenings. What we also like though is to attend theatre performances, since the arts crowd and theatres are mostly down town, that works out well for us, as we go down long before the performance and eat at one of the many fine establishments there. By the time we are ready to drive home, after the show, I have nothing to worry about.

We have many favorites down there, Arctickitty mentioned one, "Crush", wine bistro and cellar. I like their pork dishes, Slow roasted Pork, or Bone In Pork Chop. What is becoming our perennial favorite though is "Ginger". My wife likes it due to the dishes and her diet. We also like oyster shooters and they have good ones.

Arctickitty also mentioned "Simon and Seaforts", on L Street, excellent place as well, except it is quite a walk to and from the theatres in the winter so we have been passing it by. I like to park the car only once so dinner has to be relatively close to good parking plus the restaurant. Another top restaurant down town, she didn't mention, which is close to the Performing Art Center is "Sacks Cafe & Restaurant".

In midtown she mentioned "Aladdin's". That one is not all that far from our home. We ate there about a year ago, very good plus I love the Mediterranean diet. Been itching to find an excuse to return.

I'm reluctant to drive all the way down town and risk the myriad of cops down there on prime evenings.

This brings up something I hadn't thought about. How worried should I be about getting a ticket? Is this a place I should stop on yellow lights and set my cruise so I never go over the speed limit?

And is it better/worse inside Anchorage proper, or are all the policemen/troopers in the state on the same page?

By the way, I realize I'm really off topic. Sorry to anyone following along.

This brings up something I hadn't thought about. How worried should I be about getting a ticket? Is this a place I should stop on yellow lights and set my cruise so I never go over the speed limit?

And is it better/worse inside Anchorage proper, or are all the policemen/troopers in the state on the same page?

By the way, I realize I'm really off topic. Sorry to anyone following along.

No, nothing to worry about there. We have enough trouble getting everybody to stop on the reds. And a big complaint is that 10 miles above the speed limit they might pull you over for going too slow, LOL.

We don't have an over abundance of police officers all looking to fill a quota, in fact we could use a few more. I was being a little tongue in the cheek with that comment, sorry. Downtown on Friday or Saturday night there are probably more cops than normal but that is what one might expect in any city. And you rarely see a trooper on the state highways.

All the advertisements and stuff warning about DUIs makes me a little paranoid. Not that I have to worry cause I don't drink that much, but if someone backs into you or rear ends you everybody is initially under the microscope during the investigation.

Have spent a lot of time in Alaska and one thing I have noticed is the quality of the drivers up there.Compared to the drivers in Chicago,they are great. Very courteous and not in a hurry like the city drivers here. Years ago I was driving to Denali doing 85-90 and a trooper going the opposite way just lit up his lights for a moment evidently telling me to slow down. Back here they would probably start shooting at you!!LOL:eek::eek::eek:

Are you asking if municipal governments use traffic tickets as a significant revenue source? While that practice has drawn recent attention in the "lower 48" (which Alaska talk for the continental US) I am not aware of that being an issue here.

I found several good comments on trip advisor for Pil's in Anchorage...any locals have input? We'll be at the Westmark and were planning on walking for breakfast.

I'm also looking for a recommendation for lunch in Girdwood. Thanks!

Edited by scrap47

It looks like Alaska won't be any more expensive than when we've gone to Disney World. When I've been there, however, there is one website with the menus and pricing for all the onsite eateries, so planning was SO much easier. The message board I used for planning that trip also has an entire thread dedicated to reviewing and giving feedback on the restaurants (wish cruise critic had that feature).

That said, I am finding the information I gather here extremely helpful. Thank you all for your input.:)

You've hit the nail on the head. The prices are very similar to Disney World food prices. If you follow this as a guideline, your budgeting should be spot on.

I will also say that the food prices in the small town grocery stores practically made my eyes pop out of my head!

I found several good comments on trip advisor for Pil's in Anchorage...any locals have input? We'll be at the Westmark and were planning on walking for breakfast.

I'm also looking for a recommendation for lunch in Girdwood. Thanks!

The Bake Shop is a good place for lunch.

I live here too.....and have for years.....I am from NYC, lived in Key West for many years....both expensive places to live.....and eat (for tourists) for the most part, I think that Anchorage non chain places are equal to those places in price. When I have clients come in a look at menu's.....most of them think is is way expensive.....Crab legs....will be $49.00/pound or thereabouts......as opposed to 19.95 at Costco's for sale....Yes, there are ways to cut down on food costs, but in a local restaurant that is not a chain and is downtown (especially) will be expensive....

Comparing prices again, I was looking at two Red Robin menus, one at their Dimond location here in Anchorage and one in Denver. As far as menu items and ingredients go they are almost identical. Not that I recommend Red Robin but it serves as a good comparison. As far as the chain burger type restaurants go here in Anchorage, Red Robin is regarded as being pretty expensive.

I just compared cheese burgers and added garlic herb fries.

Anchorage--Red Robin Gourmet Cheeseburger with added patty $14.70--Bleu Ribbon gourmet burger with added patty $15.70---Red Robin's Finest 1/2 pound of Black Angus beef "The Southern Charm Burger" with sharp cheddar $15.50.

Denver--- Red Robin Gourmet Cheeseburger with added patty $12.30--- Bleu Ribbon gourmet burger with added patty $13.70----Red Robin's Finest 1/2 pound of Black Angus beef "The Southern Charm Burger" with sharp cheddar $15.00.

That is a lot less than double Denver prices or even if one adds 50% onto Denver.

When I was talking COSTCO I forgot to mention that we have two Sam's Clubs in Anchorage. Sam's food court is similar to COSTCO's price wise and menu wise, except Sam's doesn't have the large bowl of beef chili that COSTCO offers but they do have a deli ham and cheese Sandwich which COSTCO doesn't. I don't believe any dish at either store goes over $4.00 unless you order an entire 16 inch pizza. You don't have to be a member at Sam's to eat there either.

One thing that is more attractive about Sam's is that they have a lot more seating, at the Old Seward Highway location anyway, and a lot less hustle and bustle than COSTCO does at its Dimond location. It is hard to enjoy a meal at COSTCO without feeling hurried and packed in, not so at SAM's. COSTCO is a lot more popular than SAM's in Alaska and must have 30 times the customers in a same size store at any given time as SAM's does.