Walkie talkies OK to use?

crazidude1400

not at all.. LOL- i did have the newer nextel since the guy told me it would work on the ship. the reason we got them is for the direct connext. yeah right-- a ship needs a tower in order for you to get service--no tower no service.

Some of the newer ones have the "off network" system built in that doesn't require a signal from Nextel. They should work anywhere but only up to 6 miles. It's called Direct Talk and will work anywhere you don't have a signal with any other hand set that has that feature as well. Some of the higher end models have it standard and others may be able to add it as a downloadable app. Check with Nextel. We have it on our Southern Linc hand sets and it works great. They are the same hand sets that Nextel offers.

Some cruiselines are putting cell phone "towers" on their ships. NCL is the most gung-ho about it, however I recall there was one one other cruiseline that announced one or two of their ship also have the service. Unfortunately I can't recall which line.

Wife and I have taken 2 cruises with extended family ..... approximately 40 of us each trip, all of our cabins scattered around the ship. Walkie talkies were invaluable. We were always mindful of our fellow passengers, and didn't just "yak yak yak" ..... used 'em mostly to locate lost sheep (which bar are you in NOW?!!!!) and coordinate impromptu meeting times/places.

Archived