Ultimate Beverage Package and other tips

comet11

Just booked first NCL cruise on the escape. Got the Beverage and dining package. I know I paid tips on those upfront. Do I just need to tip my room attendant on the ship, or does the $13.50/person/day still apply to me?

Do I just need to tip my room attendant on the ship, or does the $13.50/person/day still apply to me?

The $13.50 a day applies to everyone no matter what perks they have (more in a suite). It is up to you if you want to tip extra to your steward or to any other staff member.

Mike

The daily charge still applies. Bar staff have never been included in that charge (you would pay a 18% gratuity on your bar purchases if you didn't have the package, which is what the tips you paid on the drinks package replace).

The extra you paid on the dining package replaces the 18% that you would have paid on meals purchased there, and again this was additional to the daily charge.

So, you will be charged the daily charge so you are covered for tips unless you choose to give any extra.

Just booked first NCL cruise on the escape. Got the Beverage and dining package. I know I paid tips on those upfront. Do I just need to tip my room attendant on the ship, or does the $13.50/person/day still apply to me?

Many will disagree, and the popcorn will pop once again....because you have the dining package, with 18% tip added, you are actually paying a double tip for the evening dining element of your cruise. Many refer to this as a "double dip" from Norwegian!;)

One thing is indisputable....if you are eating on the dining package, you are not being served by MDR staff but NCL still want you to be paying the full daily tip. The rationale I use is the evening MDR element probably equates to about 3 or 4 dollars per day of the recommended $13.50 and on a 7 day cruise the double dip equates to about $25 which is not worth stressing over in my opinion! Doesn't alter the fact that NCL are having a double dip though.

So then there is an additional 13.50 per day that you pay when you get on the ship?

Depending on when you actually booked the cruise it may be cheaper to pay the Service Charge now. If there has been an increase in the SC since you booked you would pay at the old price.

Look at the "Vacation Summary" of your "MyNCL" and then the "Prepay Service Charges" of your cruise to see if it would be cheaper.

Mike

GLad you asked these questions. I am new to NCL and got the additional 161.00 on a booking for the beverage package for 2. So then there is an additional 13.50 per day that you pay when you get on the ship?

The $13.50 per person per day is the service charge that every passenger pays. Has nothing to do with the beverage package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The $13.50 per person per day is the service charge that every passenger pays. Has nothing to do with the beverage package.

We have only been on 1 NCL cruise, but know on other cruise lines, you can go to guest services and they took that automatic service charge off so you can pay what you wanted to to each person (think of the old way....)

Know both ways appeal to different people, but just wondering if you can do this on NCL if you choose to......

We have only been on 1 NCL cruise, but know on other cruise lines, you can go to guest services and they took that automatic service charge off so you can pay what you wanted to to each person (think of the old way....)

Know both ways appeal to different people, but just wondering if you can do this on NCL if you choose to......

On NCL you have to pay the service charge but can request part or all of it refunded by filling out a form and sending it in after you cruise. Just keep in mind by nature of the freestyle aspect "the old way" doesn't work very well because you are constantly dealing with different servers and other workers.

On NCL you have to pay the service charge but can request part or all of it refunded by filling out a form and sending it in after you cruise. Just keep in mind by nature of the freestyle aspect "the old way" doesn't work very well because you are constantly dealing with different servers and other workers.

True - thanks for the info! ;)