Tipping in SJ

Jetlagged787

I live in Portugal where hospitality staff are paid a proper salary so tipping is not expected. I understand the culture is different in the States but what about San Juan? Are we expected to tip cab drivers and restaurant staff etc? If so, what us the going rate please?

I live in Portugal where hospitality staff are paid a proper salary so tipping is not expected. I understand the culture is different in the States but what about San Juan? Are we expected to tip cab drivers and restaurant staff etc? If so, what us the going rate please?

Yes, tipping is customary as it is part of the U.S. 15% to 18% of the bill before tax (if tax is added) is standard. Less if service is less than expected. More if service impressed you (20% is commonly used for above-average service - plus it's easier to mentally calculate). Anything less than 10% would be considered a bit of an insult.

Yes, tipping is customary as it is part of the U.S. 15% to 18% of the bill before tax (if tax is added) is standard. Less if service is less than expected. More if service impressed you (20% is commonly used for above-average service - plus it's easier to mentally calculate). Anything less than 10% would be considered a bit of an insult.

Thanks for that Kikkycat. Enjoy your cruise on 12th. :)

I have taken taxis but mostly from the airports. I am used to tipping for drinks and food but not to taxis since. Is it the norm to tip taxi drivers unless they provide another service like moving bags etc?

Yes, it is customary to tip taxi drivers, and they will be moving your luggage in and out of the trunk or back of their vehicle. We usually tip a little less than restaurant servers, around 12-15%.

Thank you, i always have tipped a taxi driver when i have bags but never when taking a normal ride. Good to know for the future:-)

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed on my current time in PR that more restaurants are automatically adding a 15% gratuity, even though we are just a party of two. Restaurants commonly do that for large parties (8 or more people), but I've never noticed it before for just us. You'd want to double check your bill before adding a tip or you may unwittingly pay a lot more than you intended.

I've noticed on my current time in PR that more restaurants are automatically adding a 15% gratuity, even though we are just a party of two. Restaurants commonly do that for large parties (8 or more people), but I've never noticed it before for just us. You'd want to double check your bill before adding a tip or you may unwittingly pay a lot more than you intended.

Excuse the pun but that is a very useful tip. Thanks for the heads up. You are a mine of information Kikkycat.