Booked & Cancelled Cruise in 30 second being charged fee

Crablegs77

The rep asked you if you wanted a 24 hour hold? Doesn't that give you the right to cancel before 24 hours?

Yes it does, no money changes hands during that time so there actually is no binding reservation until the deposit (or full amount, depending on the time of the cruise) is paid.

Thank you for all your responses.

Called first thing this morning and was assured I would get a full refund in 7-10 days.

I agree I should have never given my credit card number without having all my questions answered in advanced.

Good advise to have them put a hold and review everything on paper first.

You guys are great and so helpful!

Thank you again!

I sure hope you requested a email conformation of the agreement to refund you fully.

Similar thing happened to us last year with Carnival. Although we were well over a year out on the cruise we booked with them, we changed our minds (no offense but I just wasn't comfortable bringing my kids on Carnival) and booked another cruise on another line. Called next day or later that day (can't remember) to cancel and they said we would lose our $1000 deposit. Their reasoning: we held up that cabin and no one else could book it.

This was literally one day that it was booked and if I recall approx 385 days prior to the cruise. We understood the policy but seriously?

Anyway. . . This is what my husband did: he called them back and asked them to add the insurance to our booking. He added that he would show up at the port (we live close) and announce that he has diarrhea, ensuring a full refund. Hold 10 minutes. They decided to give us the $1000 towards another cruise. So we took a 3 day (sans kids) for our anniversary and the $1000 covered the cost.

what did you do book the early saver rate? That's the only way you would have not gotten your deposit back with over a year to go until your cruise.

If that is in fact the case you would have lost $50pp fee and had the rest to use on a future cruise. I am glad Carnival gave you back all of your deposit to use on a future cruise.

Bill

Another reason why I always book my cruise online. No need to rely on a stranger, put up with wait time over the phone and I get a hard copy of my reservation/24 hour hold with a click of the mouse.

I like to book online also, but last time I had to put a AARP discount, UBP, a Latitudes 2x point reward, and a reduced deposit. Do you find that you can add several promotions online? I was having trouble with this, so I called and the rep did me well, but I still like booking online.

Booking a cruise on NCL Dawn for Jan 17-24.

Was giving NCL all the information to book cruise including Credit Card.

Agent was visiting about everything under the sun. Double checking that we would get the Ultimate Beverage package included because we were booking before Jan 3rd.

She said no because you need to book 30 days before.

I said then we will have to plan a different cruise at a different time. She ask if I wanted a 24 hr hold and I said no. The main reason we were interested in this cruise was to take advantage of the free beverage package.

Now it looks like we will be charge a cancellation fee of 75% because it's 15 days before sailing.

She put me on hold and I thought it was to double check about the beverage package and when she came back she informed me I was booked.

Just sick about this.

She had never even given me a confirmation number.

Any suggestion.

Dispute it with your CC company. You never authorized that charge.