CIVITAVECCHIA - Where to visit and getting around?

les37b

We have a wonderful trip coming up in Apr il and hoping to get some advice for places to go and see and best way of getting around.

CIVITAVECCHIA we are thinking of Rome by train. Is the station near the port? Best place to get off? Obviously we have little time (Probably from 8.30 to 18.00 away from the ship)

Any help appreciated on where to go once there and journey we need to take.

This forum is a great resource. There are dozens of posts with information about using the train to get to Rome from Civitavecchia. There is a search function (upper right) that is pretty good if you put in some specific terms such as "Civitavecchia train Rome" or "Rome DIY"-- you should find all the details you need.

You have about the same amount of time as many other cruisers -- it's definitely worth going to Rome but be reasonable in terms of what you expect to see. Focus on a couple of things -- maybe the Vatican museum and St. Peters or maybe the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine Hill.

Here are a couple of threads to get you started:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2233255&highlight=civitavecchia+train+rome

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2223865&highlight=civitavecchia+train+rome

If you need any specific question answered, please post it and we will do our best to help.

This forum is a great resource. There are dozens of posts with information about using the train to get to Rome from Civitavecchia. There is a search function (upper right) that is pretty good if you put in some specific terms such as "Civitavecchia train Rome" or "Rome DIY"-- you should find all the details you need.

You have about the same amount of time as many other cruisers -- it's definitely worth going to Rome but be reasonable in terms of what you expect to see. Focus on a couple of things -- maybe the Vatican museum and St. Peters or maybe the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine Hill.

Here are a couple of threads to get you started:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2233255&highlight=civitavecchia+train+rome

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2223865&highlight=civitavecchia+train+rome

If you need any specific question answered, please post it and we will do our best to help.

I understand the point you are trying to make, however, looking at the suggestions from a thread six months ago and wanting to ask questions to members giving suggestions is probably not going to get an answer and might be seen as thread hijacking.

I will take a look through though and I have found a few things to go forward with. Many of those answers were suggesting doing the trip by Limo, which to be honest, if money was no object, I'd just take the expensive Silversea offerings.

I only asked two questions in the OP "Is the station near the port? Best place to get off?" and I've not seen that answer so far.

I did not mean to put your back up. There is just a lot of info to type over and over.

The station is not far from the port, but you will have to take a shuttle (free, provided by the port) to the port entrance. From there you can walk to the train station or take a city bus (which picks up right where the shuttles drop off) and costs 80 euro cents per person. Walking takes about 20-25 minutes, depending on how fast you move.

The best station to get off in Rome depend on your plans. For the Vatican and St Peters you should get off at San Pietro station. For the Colosseum/Forum, you would get off the train at Ostiense station, then transfer to the metro (located contiguous to the train station) for two stops to Colosseo, which will put you right at the Colosseum.

Termini is the central (large) train station and is probably best if you plan to visit the Borghese Gallery, or if you wanted to plan a walk starting with the Spanish Steps, then Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and perhaps Piazza Navona.

I did not mean to put your back up. There is just a lot of info to type over and over.

Understand... apologies if it was taken that way... Just trying to clarify my reasoning.

Thanks again for the info.

I'm sure you are right that Silversea will provide a bus into town - and hopefully the station.

I completely appreciate what others have intimated that you can't visit Rome in a day (or build it! lol) and acutely aware of the issues of distance and time available. What I've seen is that going to central station is going to kill too much time and have already thought that St Peters and Coliseum are the primary places we'd like to get to and luckily nearer to the port and quicker journey times. Need to check on the distance between and best way to do that.

St Peters and Coliseum are the primary places we'd like to get to and luckily nearer to the port and quicker journey times. Need to check on the distance between and best way to do that.

You can easily get to both of these, and a few other places, within the confines of a port day.

Order doesn't really make a difference unless there is a weather issue since the Colosseum is an outdoor site and St. Peter's is indoor.

Regional train to Roma S. Pietro followed by a three-quarter of a mile walk. After visiting the basilica, you could walk to Castel Sant'Angelo (1/2 mile) then cross the pedestrian bridge and follow Via dei Coronari to Piazza Navona (1/2 mile).

From there follow the pedestrian pathway to the Pantheon (2/10ths of a mile). If you follow the pathway you can reach the Trevi fountain after another 4/10ths of a mile.

From here you could walk back to Via del Corso and grab a bus to the Colosseum (or walk the one mile distance).

From the Colosseum take the metro two stops to Piramide and transfer to Ostiense for the train back to Civitavecchia.

Or the reverse plan.

We have a wonderful trip coming up in Apr il and hoping to get some advice for places to go and see and best way of getting around.

CIVITAVECCHIA we are thinking of Rome by train. Is the station near the port? Best place to get off? Obviously we have little time (Probably from 8.30 to 18.00 away from the ship)

Any help appreciated on where to go once there and journey we need to take.

You can take the "fast train" in from the port into Rome, St. Peters Station. It runs only days that a cruise ship is in port and is for cruise passengers. It is 17 euro a person r/trip. It leaves at 9:30 am arrives in Rome at 10:10 and departs at 4:30 (or 4:40) to get you back to the ship on time. I have used this on my last cruise and will use it again in May.

You can buy your ticket on line early if you want. I did and printed it out and was done. Stress free and economical.

You can take the "fast train" in from the port into Rome, St. Peters Station. It runs only days that a cruise ship is in port and is for cruise passengers. It is 17 euro a person r/trip. It leaves at 9:30 am arrives in Rome at 10:10 and departs at 4:30 (or 4:40) to get you back to the ship on time. I have used this on my last cruise and will use it again in May.

You can buy your ticket on line early if you want. I did and printed it out and was done. Stress free and economical.

I'm not a big fan of this offering. Depending on your arrival and departure time, it can cut your time short in Rome. It's not really much "faster" than any other train, and it only stops at one stop: San Pietro.

To each his own.

You can easily get to both of these, and a few other places, within the confines of a port day.

Order doesn't really make a difference unless there is a weather issue since the Colosseum is an outdoor site and St. Peter's is indoor.

Regional train to Roma S. Pietro followed by a three-quarter of a mile walk. After visiting the basilica, you could walk to Castel Sant'Angelo (1/2 mile) then cross the pedestrian bridge and follow Via dei Coronari to Piazza Navona (1/2 mile).

From there follow the pedestrian pathway to the Pantheon (2/10ths of a mile). If you follow the pathway you can reach the Trevi fountain after another 4/10ths of a mile.

From here you could walk back to Via del Corso and grab a bus to the Colosseum (or walk the one mile distance).

From the Colosseum take the metro two stops to Piramide and transfer to Ostiense for the train back to Civitavecchia.

Or the reverse plan.

Cheers... this is very useful. Walking about wont be a problem, though will try to plot routes and see what options there are with public transport - if links are frequent enough.

Ours arrives at 8, so the departure time is good, but we leave at 19.00....... actually thats probably pretty good for us. There would be nothing worse than getting back to port and watch your ship sail away!!!

So this fair is 17 euros each. Do you know what the non express fair is and what that costs?

So this fair is 17 euros each. Do you know what the non express fair is and what that costs?
The regular regional train is €4,60 - €5,00 each way, or you can get the BIRG ticket, which costs €12 and covers round trip regional train fare as well as all mass transit in Rome (metro, buses, and trams) for the full day.

I will take a look through though and I have found a few things to go forward with. Many of those answers were suggesting doing the trip by Limo, which to be honest, if money was no object, I'd just take the expensive Silversea offerings.

Are you sure the "many answers" you found in your search were suggesting a private limo, rather than perhaps the tour company "Romeinlimo"? RIL is one of the most popular tour/transportation options in Italy and we have used them a number of times. Their prices are quite reasonable compared to any cruise line options. (For what it's worth, we've never been transported by an actual limo when using Romeinlimo.)

Edited by sippican

Are you sure the "many answers" you found in your search were suggesting a private limo, rather than perhaps the tour company "Romeinlimo"? RIL is one of the most popular tour/transportation options in Italy and we have used them a number of times. Their prices are quite reasonable compared to any cruise line options. (For what it's worth, we've never been transported by an actual limo when using Romeinlimo.)

Their prices are "reasonable" IF you have a larger group of 6 or 8 perhaps. The total cost for a full day tour using one of their smaller vehicles is 550 euro. That's pretty steep if there are only two -- plus any guide (e.g. for the Vatican) is another 100 euro. :cool:

The OP is on a smaller ship = fewer chances of getting a group together to share.

Edited by cruisemom42

Ours arrives at 8, so the departure time is good, but we leave at 19.00....... actually thats probably pretty good for us. There would be nothing worse than getting back to port and watch your ship sail away!!!

I could think of things a lot worse than missing a ship in Italy.

The beauty is if you do miss the ship you're only a train ride away from either Naples or Livorno which are the most probable stops after the ship leaves the port.

It's not like missing the ship in the Caribbean where you have to book flights and hope the plain is leaving that day. Now if you missed the ship in Dubrovnik and Valletta was the next port it would be a little stressful.

For my upcoming cruise I'm actually debating missing the ship in Rome, getting a hotel and taking a train to Livorno the next day and reboard after I explore Pisa and Florence.

I could think of things a lot worse than missing a ship in Italy.

The beauty is if you do miss the ship you're only a train ride away from either Naples or Livorno which are the most probable stops after the ship leaves the port.

It's not like missing the ship in the Caribbean where you have to book flights and hope the plain is leaving that day. Now if you missed the ship in Dubrovnik and Valletta was the next port it would be a little stressful.

For my upcoming cruise I'm actually debating missing the ship in Rome, getting a hotel and taking a train to Livorno the next day and reboard after I explore Pisa and Florence.

Yes indeed, that's a fair point. My stops are Livorno, Rome, Sorrento and Amalfi so wouldn't be the end of the world...... But I'd miss the food and drink for definite!

Yes indeed, that's a fair point. My stops are Livorno, Rome, Sorrento and Amalfi so wouldn't be the end of the world...... But I'd miss the food and drink for definite!

If you are racing around Rome just take a taxi say from the Forum to St Peters.Just settle on a rate before you get in the taxi.We took a taxi from the Bone Church to St Peters for 12 euro for 4 people.Not sure if that was to much but definitely worth it to us.

Viator offers transportation from the port to Rome for about 19 euro pp.They pick you up in a bus and drop you near St Peters and pick you up again at the end of the day and drive you back to the port.

We have been to Rome many times so this year have booked a excursion with 'allarounditaly" for a tour to Tarquino to see the Etruscan ruins and museum and on to Orvieto for shopping and lunch.

How wonderful that your ports include Sorrento and Amalfi. Such a beautiful area.Would be amazing to actually dock there.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are racing around Rome just take a taxi say from the Forum to St Peters.Just settle on a rate before you get in the taxi.We took a taxi from the Bone Church to St Peters for 12 euro for 4 people.Not sure if that was to much but definitely worth it to us.

Viator offers transportation from the port to Rome for about 19 euro pp.They pick you up in a bus and drop you near St Peters and pick you up again at the end of the day and drive you back to the port.

We have been to Rome many times so this year have booked a excursion with 'allarounditaly" for a tour to Tarquino to see the Etruscan ruins and museum and on to Orvieto for shopping and lunch.

How wonderful that your ports include Sorrento and Amalfi. Such a beautiful area.Would be amazing to actually dock there.

Is the Bus you mention quicker and easier than getting the train? I notice the train station is only a few hundred yards away from the port - and normal stopper service takes about an hour and the first stop St Peters about 45 mins.

Not really sure still where I want to go apart from St Peters and the Colosseum. Wherever, needs to be in the same vicinity so we dont have too much travelling about with time being a premium!

Is the Bus you mention quicker and easier than getting the train? I notice the train station is only a few hundred yards away from the port - and normal stopper service takes about an hour and the first stop St Peters about 45 mins.

Not really sure still where I want to go apart from St Peters and the Colosseum. Wherever, needs to be in the same vicinity so we dont have too much travelling about with time being a premium!

The bus may be easier, depending on where you have to go to get it, but it will not be faster. Additionally, because the bus doesn't leave until the last ship arrives and returns before the first ship leaves, you wind up with the least amount of time in Rome.

It's fairly easy to use the train to see St. Peter's and the Colosseum. You can use a taxi to transfer between the two or take the #64 bus to Piazza Venezia and walk about three quarters of a mile to the Colosseum.

http://viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/?service=trovalinea&linea=64&percorso=64R

The bus may be easier, depending on where you have to go to get it, but it will not be faster. Additionally, because the bus doesn't leave until the last ship arrives and returns before the first ship leaves, you wind up with the least amount of time in Rome.

It's fairly easy to use the train to see St. Peter's and the Colosseum. You can use a taxi to transfer between the two or take the #64 bus to Piazza Venezia and walk about three quarters of a mile to the Colosseum.

http://viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/?service=trovalinea&linea=64&percorso=64R

Brilliant. Thankyou for that. Would you think there would be much time to see anything else nearby in that location? Is it best to prebook tickets (if necessary). Which station is best back to the port?

Would you think there would be much time to see anything else nearby in that location? Is it best to prebook tickets (if necessary). Which station is best back to the port?

It would depend on how much time you want to devote to each stop and on the length of your port day.

For a typical tourist on a typical port day, yes, there would be time for another stop or two.

You can dash through the interior of St. Peter's rather quickly or spend hours devouring the art and atmosphere. You might climb the dome. You might, unfortunately, wait a long time in the security line. There are a lot of variables.

The Colosseum, on the other hand, would be hard to stretch past an hour unless you have a strong interest in the place or you take the underground tour, which does eat up time.

I would pick out one additional stop and be ready, in terms of your research, to get there and from there on to the Colosseum. Then, on the day of your trip, play it by ear. If you find you want to spend more time at St. Peter's you can simply drop the additional stop and head right to the Colosseum.

From the Colosseum the easiest way back to Civitavecchia is to take the metro (the stop is right there, across the street from the Colosseum) to Piramide (direction Laurentina, second stop) where you follow the signs to the Rome Ostiense trenitalia station (they are connected by an underground passageway).

Ours arrives at 8, so the departure time is good, but we leave at 19.00?
Let's lay this out, just for perspective.

If you "step lively" and are able to get off your ship quickly after arrival, and if the port shuttle bus is ready and waiting to take you to the port exit, you should be able to make the 8:59 train, arriving to Roma S. Pietro at 10 AM. If you're really lucky you might make the 8:42, arriving just before 9:30 AM.

To be conservative, let's assume the later train. It's about a 10-15 minute walk from the station to Piazza San Pietro (a half mile). If we then add 15 minutes in line for security, that has you entering the basilica at 10:30 AM.

Now let's work on the end of the day. A 19:00 departure means an on-board time of 18:30. When using public transit it's always a good idea to use the penultimate train that would get you there on time so you have a fall-back option if you miss your goal train.

Allowing a half hour to get from the train station back to your ship, that means that the last train you could take has to get to Civitavecchia no later than 18:00. Unfortunately the schedule doesn't work in your favor, there's a train scheduled to arrive at 18:04 (that would be your very last real option) but the next prior is a full hour earlier. Certainly quite safe but it does shorten your day.

So your return train would be the 16:23 from Ostiense, arriving to Civitavecchia at 17:13, allowing you plenty of time to saunter slowly back to the ship if you wish.

To make the 16:23 you'd want to be on the metro by 16:00. If you allow yourself one hour in the Colosseum that brings you back to 15:00, then add 30 minutes for entry (even with a pre-purchased entry), so you need to be at the Colosseum by 14:30.

Now you have the bookends, that should make assessing the middle easier. If you spend one hour in the basilica, exiting at 11 AM, that leaves you three and a half hours to get to the Colosseum, plenty of time for another stop. If you want more time in the basilica, things get tighter. On the other hand, if everything goes your way (you make the earlier train, the security line moves swiftly, etc.) you'll have even more time for another stop.

Edited by euro cruiser