Confirmed Car Rental - can price change?

lifeasme123

I have 2 weeks putting together our family Alaska cruise and DIY land tour post-cruise itinerary. I thought I got it all done:

Port Excursions - check/done.

Activities planned and booked for various cities we will visit - check/done.

Lodging in Girdwood/Anchorage - check/done.

Lodging in Palmer/Wasilla - check/done.

Lodging in Denali - check/done.

Car Rental in Juneau - check/done.

Car Rental in Skagway - check/done.

Car Rental in Anchorage - um....so here is my dilemma.

Last Sept I made our one-way car reservations from Anchorage to Fairbanks. I got a crazy good price and booked them immediately on the idea that I could always cancel/rebook.

The reservations are at a non-airport location and gave an arrival time of 12noon. This was done before I learned there are things to do in Seward. Our group have decided on Kenai Fjords. If we do this and take the bus to Seward, we would be outside of the rental car business hours. To accommodate this, I went to the internet to get pricing quotes for car rentals and it's about 4X what I got quoted for.

So I'm a bit sad...after all the planning...I need to readjust again. :-(

With all that said, long story to my question: Can the car rental agency increase the price when I get there? Or is what my confirmation states is all I have to pay? I called one of the sister locations this morning and was told my reservation didn't have the $250 drop off fee. :eek:

What would you do?

Check your reservation and be sure it's from anchorage and to Fairbanks and there are no additional charges listed like the drop off fee. If the pick up and drop off locations and the dates are correct, it should be ok.

If you change anything on the original reservation, all bets are off.

Edited by Viv0828

I have 2 weeks putting together our family Alaska cruise and DIY land tour post-cruise itinerary. I thought I got it all done:

Port Excursions - check/done.

Activities planned and booked for various cities we will visit - check/done.

Lodging in Girdwood/Anchorage - check/done.

Lodging in Palmer/Wasilla - check/done.

Lodging in Denali - check/done.

Car Rental in Juneau - check/done.

Car Rental in Skagway - check/done.

Car Rental in Anchorage - um....so here is my dilemma.

Last Sept I made our one-way car reservations from Anchorage to Fairbanks. I got a crazy good price and booked them immediately on the idea that I could always cancel/rebook.

The reservations are at a non-airport location and gave an arrival time of 12noon. This was done before I learned there are things to do in Seward. Our group have decided on Kenai Fjords. If we do this and take the bus to Seward, we would be outside of the rental car business hours. To accommodate this, I went to the internet to get pricing quotes for car rentals and it's about 4X what I got quoted for.

So I'm a bit sad...after all the planning...I need to readjust again. :-(

With all that said, long story to my question: Can the car rental agency increase the price when I get there? Or is what my confirmation states is all I have to pay? I called one of the sister locations this morning and was told my reservation didn't have the $250 drop off fee. :eek:

What would you do?

Not sure what you are asking????? Are you still planning on that noon pick up? OR are you "thinking", your reservation will be available the next day? Sorry it will NOT. Or do you have a one way reservation without the drop fee??? Need more detail.

This is the nature of Alaska car rentals out of Anchorage. The lowest prices have been in the fall prior to the next season. Those rates disappear by the new year, never to return. You jumped before you had your plans in place. In those cases- which I always do, is I make multiple bookings, then cancel what I don't need, since I take advantage of late bookings. I currently have 6 reservations, as example.

I called the National 800# and was told that is the entire charge. However, if I change the pickup location, like you said...all bets are off. It is over $1000 :eek: almost 4x what the reservation is.

So looks like my choices are:

1. Miss Kenai Fjords and take the bus to Anchorage to pick up the car by noon.

2. Catch the Kenai Fjords and pay a much higher car rental price.

We are staying in Girdwood for 3 nights. Prince William Sound is scheduled for one of the day. Is it worth it to drive back to Seward (r/t from Anchorage) for the Kenai Fjord with a 5 y.o.?

This has put a damper on my excitement.

I called the National 800# and was told that is the entire charge. However, if I change the pickup location, like you said...all bets are off. It is over $1000 :eek: almost 4x what the reservation is.

So looks like my choices are:

1. Miss Kenai Fjords and take the bus to Anchorage to pick up the car by noon.

2. Catch the Kenai Fjords and pay a much higher car rental price.

We are staying in Girdwood for 3 nights. Prince William Sound is scheduled for one of the day. Is it worth it to drive back to Seward (r/t from Anchorage) for the Kenai Fjord with a 5 y.o.?

This has put a damper on my excitement.

Is this now a round trip Anc car? Or are you still going to Fairbanks? Have you looked at other rental companies? http://www.anchorage.net Please be more complete with your details, so that you can get accurate answers and options.

Is this now a round trip Anc car? Or are you still going to Fairbanks? Have you looked at other rental companies? http://www.anchorage.net Please be more complete with your details, so that you can get accurate answers and options.

I did put it in the original post. It is a one way car rental from Anchorage to Fairbanks. The quote I am getting today is about 3-4X what the reservation was back in Sept.

I used Priceline, Expedia, etc...so they checked all the different agencies.

We are going to Fairbanks only because it's 1/2 the drive time from Denali vs Anchorage.

Edited by jen70

I did put it in the original post. It is a one way car rental from Anchorage to Fairbanks. The quote I am getting today is about 3-4X what the reservation was back in Sept.

I used Priceline, Expedia, etc...so they checked all the different agencies.

We are going to Fairbanks only because it's 1/2 the drive time from Denali vs Anchorage.

It wasn't clear, to me, sorry. :)

Do you already have your flights booked? Driving Denali /Anchorage, isn't that painful, :) with all the stops possible, and certainly is still worthwhile with a round trip on the Parks Highway. The other issue would be, if you have plans in Fairbanks?

I would look direct with the car rentals as well, but you likely have missed the favorable rates. I suggest you look at your entire plan. IF you don't want to give up, what you have listed, then pay the fee for the rental car option, that offers you this. Overall, it certainly is a fraction of your entire trip. I just don't compromise- myself, with activities I want to include or places I want to go. You'll need to figure this out for yourself.

Edited by Budget Queen

I haven't booked our return flight until I got the itinerary and hotels done. When booking this cruise in September no way did I know that planning (hotel, car booking) are supposed to be done one year in advanced! Lesson learned.

I did check the ANC-ANC rental...even that is high for a week's rental.

The difference is about $700 in the rental fees. I may just keep the rental as is and then make a day trip back down to do the Kenai Fjords.

I was just nervous that the rental car company can increase it regardless of the confirmation email.

Edited by jen70

A lot to think about. But, I'll speculate you may not have done a big search of round trip Anchorage cars? There are some good independents to also consider. You may find something, if you look at each company, direct?

Do you have Fairbanks plans at this point? Can it be skipped?

A lot to think about. But, I'll speculate you may not have done a big search of round trip Anchorage cars? There are some good independents to also consider. You may find something, if you look at each company, direct?

Do you have Fairbanks plans at this point? Can it be skipped?

We have nothing planned for Fairbanks, and probably won't. If Fairbanks is on our list, it is only because to go to the airport.

Here is a highlevel of my itinerary:

Arrive in Seward via cruise ship and bus to Anchorage (Fri)

Anchorage/Girdwood - 4 days/3 nights (Fri-Mon). I would put this at the end of the trip but we have one person in the group flying out Sat morning from ANC.

Palmer - 3 days/2 nights (Mon-Wed)

Denali - 4 days/3 nights (Wed - Sat)

Return flight not yet booked.

Edited by jen70

If you have three days in Girdwood, it would be easy to do Seward as a day trip and do the Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise.

Hi again AKStafford! You've been a wonderful help so far!

Fri: Leave Seward 8am bus to Anchorage to pick up car. BTW the time we get our car and drop off suitcases, most of the day is done. So it's pretty much roaming around Girdwood that evening. Unless someone has suggestoins. :-)

Sat Morn: One passenger flies home. We will need to drive from Girdwood to ANC. I mapped it and it's 45 min from Girdwood. Probably do the Turnagain Arm drive so he can get pictures, etc. He will need to be at the airport about 11-1130.

Sat Afternoon: Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

Sun: Prince William Sound Glacier

Mon: Drive to Wasilla/Palmer

If we didn't have to drop off my cousin, we'd go to Seward on Saturday.

Is there a big difference in total cost of flights from Fairbanks --for the three of you --vs Anchorage?

No...as of today the prices are pretty comparable.

I did some price chekcing for car rental from ANC and return ANC...and it's higher than the one way rental reservation I made in Sept.

Mind blowing the car rental costs!

Unfortunately if you pick up your confirmed rental more than 1-2 hours later than booked, most rental companies don't have to honor the rate. In fact, I had a friend one time who booked a car (not in AK) and arrived 65 minutes later than originally booked. They were out of cars and said, "Tough luck." He had to go elsewhere and pay whatever rate he found, which was higher than he had booked at the original company.

So at this point, if your Anchorage to Fairbanks rental is the best price and you want to lock in that price, you need to pick up and drop off on the dates you booked, and as close to the times you booked as possible.

Do any of you have a link or list of the car rental agencies that operate out of Anchorage if we're planning a round trip?

Check anchorage.net

Unfortunately if you pick up your confirmed rental more than 1-2 hours later than booked, most rental companies don't have to honor the rate. In fact, I had a friend one time who booked a car (not in AK) and arrived 65 minutes later than originally booked. They were out of cars and said, "Tough luck." He had to go elsewhere and pay whatever rate he found, which was higher than he had booked at the original company.

So at this point, if your Anchorage to Fairbanks rental is the best price and you want to lock in that price, you need to pick up and drop off on the dates you booked, and as close to the times you booked as possible.

Check anchorage.net

THat's what I afraid of. I am going to call them tomorrow and ask for a later pick up time to ensure we have enough time to get from seward to anchorage.

Edited by jen70

I haven't looked in the past week, but until recently a RT car rental from the Enterprise office on International Airport Dr was $200 a week.

Thanks Mapleleaves...just checked this morning for ANC r/t...it's about $250 for the midsize. I reserved that as well. :-)

I wonder when I checked over the weekend, because it was the weekend, the prices are higher????

REgardless...woohoo!!!

Edited by jen70

THat's what I afraid of. I am going to call them tomorrow and ask for a later pick up time to ensure we have enough time to get from seward to anchorage.

Whenever I have had to do that it essentially became a new reservation! We periodically visit family in Denver that has high car rental rates especially if it's only for a few days. Recently we have been getting discounts through the airline.

I have found with reservations through third party vendors (Priceline, Expedia, etc), no changes can be made or it voids the contract, even here in the lower 48.

If reservations made through car rental direct, they will sometimes make changes at no additional cost.

I have no idea what the rental car companies in Alaska charge or their rules and regulations as I've never rented a car in Alaska.

Others on this board are giving you good advice, only you can decide which route you want to go, and how much you are willing to spend.