2016 Identity Captain, Hotel Director, Concierge, etc.

triptolemus

Thanks so much! That's good to know. We had a Concierge last November on the Dawn that wasn't the greatest. I was secretly hoping he wasn't still there. Fingers crossed he doesn't come back before we go in October. :p

I don't even remember who it was back in November....LOL!! Hanno was our concierge in May and he was GREAT!!

I don't even remember who it was back in November....LOL!! Hanno was our concierge in May and he was GREAT!!

Agreed! We LOVED Hanno. He was incredibly available and took great care of us. Patrick was the Concierge in November. I think he may have been new to being in that role. He struggled with follow up with us and had a hard time juggling our reservation changes. He made a few mistakes, which happens, but it was how he handled it that bothered us the most. I never really realized the importance of having a good concierge until we didn't have one. :)

Agreed! We LOVED Hanno. He was incredibly available and took great care of us. Patrick was the Concierge in November. I think he may have been new to being in that role. He struggled with follow up with us and had a hard time juggling our reservation changes. He made a few mistakes, which happens, but it was how he handled it that bothered us the most. I never really realized the importance of having a good concierge until we didn't have one. :)

Hmmm...if it was the same Patrick, we had him on the Star in 2013...same issues. :rolleyes:

Can somebody explain why it's so important to know who is staffing a particular ship?

And with respect to concierge and butlers, what is the importance there? What function do these individuals serve to the passenger?

Finally someone is asking this question. I am always curious about why is so important to know who are going to be working on the ship. I was on the Escape two weeks ago and had the best time of my life and didn't even know the staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can somebody explain why it's so important to know who is staffing a particular ship?

And with respect to concierge and butlers, what is the importance there? What function do these individuals serve to the passenger?

It isn't extremely important, but when you have cruised with a staff member who made a difference in your cruise, it makes it fun to know you'll see them again. We have had three or four butlers who have really been a joy to travel with and it's nice to know we may be on the ship with them again. Sometimes it is a matter of curiosity.

If you've not sailed in a suite or are platinum, chances are the butlers and concierge are people you wouldn't have interaction with. The butler takes care of special requests inside your suite while the concierge takes care of requisitions outside the suite like dinner reservations, invitations to the captain's parties, express embarkation at the pier or disembarkation at any port, and excursions through the ship. If you're in a suite, these two people can go a long way into making your sailing extra special or lack luster.

Then, there's those of us who have gotten to know different officers over the years of cruising and look forward to seeing our favorites. There are some better at their jobs than others, and IME, a great HD (hotel director) sets the tone for the entire staff that interacts with passengers. The ship just has a different feel/vibe when certain people are on board.

Oh Patrick!! I forgot about him!! We really didn't have any particular requests for him. The one thing I do remember was when he brought us down to tender in Belize, he just left ditched us there, every other concierge has made sure we all got into line without being cursed at, lol.....He was able to secure two more excursion tickets even though it was listed as sold out. It was for Maya Key, so it wasn't a big deal to have 2 extra people along...

We were also on the Sept. 2013 Iceland cruise on the Star and our concierge was Armando. He was great. We haven't had a Patrick that I recall.

After I posted I realized Patrick was Panama Canal in 2011, but didn't bother correcting it!

I don't recall an Armando at all on the Star 2013...I thought it was Omar, LOL.

Edited by Cubechick

After I posted I realized Patrick was Panama Canal in 2011, but didn't bother correcting it!

That's weird because I thought Patrick didn't become a concierge until some time in 2013 or 2014. Before that, he was a butler.

We were also on the Sept. 2013 Iceland cruise on the Star and our concierge was Armando. He was great. We haven't had a Patrick that I recall.

The only Armando that I've met is Hotel Director Armando DiSilva.

I just got back from the Aug 27th Gem cruise and I was underwhelmed by the CD, Alvin. He seemed friendly enough on the cabin TV but I never saw him on the not-really-crowded ship and the activities he set up were meh. Usually I don't pay attention to the cruise director situation cause I'm hit or miss in joining in with official events but this cruise where I felt the activities were lacking as a whole.

I just got back from the Aug 27th Gem cruise and I was underwhelmed by the CD, Alvin. He seemed friendly enough on the cabin TV but I never saw him on the not-really-crowded ship and the activities he set up were meh. Usually I don't pay attention to the cruise director situation cause I'm hit or miss in joining in with official events but this cruise where I felt the activities were lacking as a whole.

thanks! did you happen to catch names of Hotel Director and concierge?

Sonja something was the Hotel Director. I remember she was from Austria.

Don't know about the concierge. I just know the cruise director, Alvin, had very uninspired ideas for activities.

I think Jovo will be HD as of 9/10/16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro