Average age?

TravelLynn

About a dozen years ago when we were in our early fifties we took a Viking River Cruise. At the time Viking stated that the average age of the passengers was 55 years old. In fact the average age of our fellow travelers was much older. I joked that I wanted to see the 20 new born babies living below decks that would lower the average age to 55. I will be on the Viking Star later this month and will see if I am closer to the average age now that I am in my mid 60s.

Whilst I would guess that the average age is probably around 65 rather than 55 (my age), I found the passengers on my September cruise on Viking Star of whatever age to be young at heart and active.

Edited by NeilP57

When we did a VR cruise 2 summers ago, we had a wide range: teenagers up to 50th anniversary types but leaning toward the upper end (50 to 60s). Our contribution this summer will be in lower to mid 60s bracket.

While on Viking Star last month, for the Christmas Cruise, there was certainly a younger demographic than what I expected. There were many families traveling with their adult children. I am 28 and, while younger than the majority of travelers, didn't feel "too young" a single time, and I certainly wasn't the youngest.

I really enjoyed the age demographic on the ship! Additionally, there were only one or two instances during excursions that I felt like I wished the pace to hurry up. That being said, it wasn't even enough to think about having an actual complaint.

If you're on the fence about choosing a cruise because you're worried about being too young, DON'T! You won't regret it!

Thank you for all of the responses. Have booked our Viking Ocean cruise (first Mediterranean cruise for us) for October of 2016. No issues with any age on the ship. We were just curious. My husband & I are 46/47 and are celebrating our 10 year anniversary.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the Viking Star this week (January 17, 2016). My wife and I are in our mid 60s. I would say that the average age is older than we are but there are many younger people, including some in their 30s and 40s. Age however is just a number and I agree that people should not stay away as the ship, crew and amenities are superb. The only issue I have is that on the Viking River Cruise we took, they would make up the tour groups based upon your walking ability and I do not see any effort to do that here.

I think the age profile of Viking cruisers is primarily due to the lack of availability of two two things-time and money. Most younger people cannot take as much time off from work as is required for many of the Viking itineraries and the cost is a bit much for the younger crowd. There are just so many less-expensive options for them. In addition, the river longships are not at all designed to accommodate families. It will be interesting to see how the ships are received when they come to the Caribbean.

We on the January 10th sailing and most of the passengers were in the 65+ year old range. Emphasis on the "+". Our cruise director said that in the summer months that there was far more variety in the passenger age and that it did not skew so much towards the elderly.

We too were on the 10th January cruise, and I'd put the age percentile nearer 60+. Having said that we certainly weren't a lot of old fogies!

Lots of folk stayed up later than we did; but then as most were Americans maybe it was the time difference!

And you saw the CD other than on the stage?!

We too were on the 10th January cruise, and I'd put the age percentile nearer 60+. Having said that we certainly weren't a lot of old fogies!

Lots of folk stayed up later than we did; but then as most were Americans maybe it was the time difference!

And you saw the CD other than on the stage?!

I must respectfully disagree with you regarding the average age of our January cruisers. My husband and I are in our late fifties and many of the passengers we saw looked more like my parents' generation than ours. However, we have learned that December and January cruises attract an older clientele so this fits.

And yes, we saw Cruise Director Willie Aames outside of the stage. We had dinner with him one night and it was wonderful. He's charming and real and well--just a regular guy. Maybe it helped that my husband and I had no idea of who he was so we weren't the least bit awestruck by him. We enjoyed his company and I like to think he enjoyed ours. One thing for sure is that Viking chose a wonderful man to be Cruise Director. Willie does an outstanding job and it's quite clear that he loves it, and loves the passengers who sail with Viking.

Totally agree with emptynesters that they should have at least one "walking challenged" group offered on the included excursions. In Naples we had a gentleman who was having an immense problem walking(looked like he had had a stroke). We all thought the guide was thoughtfully going very slow, but not slow enough for the wife and she started screaming at the guide in the middle of the street and we could all hear the exchange. To Massimo's credit, he maintained his cool. BTW, the excursion was labeled "moderate" perhaps because of the cobblestones. It was very disturbing to us all(both the gentleman and his wife as well)and would've been avoided with a less "rigorous" option offered.