Tried Celebrity Eclipse but prefer HAL

cruiser4801

Presently on the 9 day New Year's Eve cruise on Celebrity and found the Eclipse disappointing. Compared to Holland America and NCL suites, we liked them more than Eclipse. The main dining room was average at best. We found the MDR on Holland significantly better. Service in the MDR on Eclipse was erratic and unattentive. Even Qsine and Tuscan Grill were far below Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind, Cagney's and LeBistro. Prices for Qsine and Tuscan Grill at $45 are excessive for the product offered-- I would not do either again.

Murano was the bright star on Eclipse. The quality of the food and service were exceptional although at a $50 p/person price. We went four times and each was outstanding.

Sea days on Eclipse lacked private areas and activities. The buffet (Oceanview Cafe) on Eclipse was one of the worst we've had. Entertainment was better than HAL and worse than NCL but nothing to overcome the ship's weaknesses.

We found Eclipse crowded just about everywhere we went. The main pool area was way too crowded and loud for our taste.

The solarium area and solarium pool were refined but could not accommodate all those who wanted to use it.

Specialty coffees at Cafe Al Bacio were nice.

Compared to Celebrity many years ago, I thought food and service had declined markedly.

Having sailed on Holland's Nieuw Amsterdam a few months before Eclipse, we thought Nieuw Amsterdam was far superior. How we miss Pinnacle and Tamarind. We missed the retreat cabanas. Missed an occasional cigar on our Neptune Suite balcony. Even missed the Lido.

Will be sticking with HAL for the next several cruises.

Presently on the 9 day New Year's Eve cruise on Celebrity and found the Eclipse disappointing. Compared to Holland America and NCL suites, we liked them more than Eclipse. The main dining room was average at best. We found the MDR on Holland significantly better. Service in the MDR on Eclipse was erratic and unattentive. Even Qsine and Tuscan Grill were far below Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind, Cagney's and LeBistro. Prices for Qsine and Tuscan Grill at $45 are excessive for the product offered-- I would not do either again.

Murano was the bright star on Eclipse. The quality of the food and service were exceptional although at a $50 p/person price. We went four times and each was outstanding.

Can you clarify if you are comparing a standard cabin on Celebrity to Suites on HAL and NCL?

If you are in a Suite on Celebrity why are you not eating at Luminae and/ or BLU? Luminae is the assigned dining room.

On Eclipse, we are in a family verandah stateroom, which has two bedrooms and is over 530 sq feet. I actually liked my cabin on Eclipse-- just not the overall cruise experience.

On Nieuw Amsterdam, we were in a Neptune Suite, which is 500 sq feet, and cheaper on a per day basis than Celebrity.

On NCL, were in the largest suite on the Pride of America and was comparably priced with Celebrity. Of course, the suite on NCL was far nicer than the others.