1st cruise with the kiddos!

shermar96

Will be sailing on Feb 1st on the Elation visiting Cozumel & Progresso - this is our first cruise with our kiddos (ds 7& dd 8) and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions or do's/don'ts with either the ship or ports? Thanks in advance!

A guidebook from your library will help you soooooo much for your ports...go...check one out! Get the kiddos involved!

There is no "right or wrong" way to vacation...and that's what a cruise is....a vacation! Do what you want...when you want. Consider the ship to be your floating hotel! (albeit, with smaller rooms than most hotels!)

We have cruised 3 times with our children so far. The first when DD was 7 and DS was 9. ENJOY it! Enjoy the wonder in their eyes when they take in the ship for the first time.

We loved camp for the kids. Granted they didn't spend much time there (maybe an hour or so a day for our DS and not even everyday for our DD), but if they want to go, know that they will be in good hands and you and your significant other can get a little alone time to relax as well!

We brought along some simple card games and smaller things for the kids to do if they got bored, but we never even got them out. They loved walking the decks and swimming. They ate a TON of ice cream (something that is limited at home) and just enjoyed time together.

Can't wait to hear what your kiddos think of cruising! Ours fell in love with it!

Go with them to the kids club and let them check it out..let them have a say so in what they'd like to do. They offer different activities each day.

totally take motion sick medication for them just in case

as for Cozumel we did a tour with Cozumel cruise excursions dot net and it was like almost 6 hours we got to PICK WHAT WE wanted to do..not what the ship wanted us to do on their excursion. Johnny Bravo was our tour guide and he was awesome! You can not go wrong with these guys. They have many tours, check them out!

Progresso is one port I have not been to but you can check it out online.

Buy them a disposable water camera each. That'll be a blast in the water.

I'm known to make huge cruise gift baskets for the fam...when they were your kids age I included a gc to use onboard, they may want to visit the arcade, buy their own candy at the candy shop, buy a tshirt..I did sand buckets, shovels,etc. (DEFINATELY remember the sunscreen!)

You can also purchase gifts for them to be waiting in your cabin when they board through the funshops...

Can you tell I'm a teacher I'm always trying to find ways to make it more fun for the kiddos!!!:D