Allure rocking

Maggie, this link will help you see your current sea conditions. If you click on current marine data, and then click on your region where you are sailing. The same page that you get to will also give you sea temps (with another click) for when you go to the beaches.

I hope it gets smoother for you.

http://www.oceanweather.com

Oh no! We have sailed Oasis twice in last two yrs. In Jan and are booked on Allure the end of this month. We loved the fact that we never felt any movement on Oasis like our other cruises esp. Since DH is sensitive to movement. Hope it gets better soon!

Edited by chanat
Typo

Maggie, this link will help you see your current sea conditions. If you click on current marine data, and then click on your region where you are sailing. The same page that you get to will also give you sea temps (with another click) for when you go to the beaches.

What a great resource - I will look to this before my TA next October. Pretty cool!

Thanks for the link.

Sailed on Freedom in November and I would agree - that stretch down to the Caribbean and the same stretch on return to port was awful - rocking and rolling had nothing on what the ship was doing. The rest of the week in between islands wasn't too bad at all.

I hope it improves quickly and you have a great cruise :)

What a great resource - I will look to this before my TA next October. Pretty cool!

Thanks for the link.

I discovered it years ago and it gives you an idea of what to expect regarding the sea's surface. My DW likes the site to know what the water temps will be at our beach ports. During hurricane season I also use the NOAA hurricane centre map and you get an even larger picture to what weather is going on. I also have the local weather bookmarked on the iPad for the ports of call. I like that better than finding out the night before in the compass. :)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/cyclones/

"Just returned from Allure yesterday and I thought it was rough almost the entire time.

We had a great time, but I did take Dramamine every 12 hours."

Wow, really? We barely even felt the ship moving except at night. We were on Freedom in 2010 and THAT was rocking. The pool turned into a wave pool and it rained lots of days.

"Just returned from Allure yesterday and I thought it was rough almost the entire time.

We had a great time, but I did take Dramamine every 12 hours."

Wow, really? We barely even felt the ship moving except at night. We were on Freedom in 2010 and THAT was rocking. The pool turned into a wave pool and it rained lots of days.

I find it hard to believe that this would be an issue on a vessel this size. I was on the Radiance Of The Seas last June when we hit a storm in the Gulf of Alaska. After that I figure I can handle about anything:p

Sorry to hear things are rocking and rolling a bit. It must be on the rough side to rock the Allure. I was on the Freedom in 2009 with the wife and a few other couples. We were in Mexico on our last stop when the skies got really dark. Hurricane Ida was on the way. we cut short a shore excursion to the island we were on and the small excursion boat took us back to the ship about a 40 minute ride. It was rocking to say the least. As I recall we had everyone on board and the Captain decided to leave a bit early. The trip back to Fort Lauderdale, was rocking and rolling most of the way we were staying just ahead of Ida but it was still causing a lot of ocean turmoil. No one was allowed out of the outer decks, the rain was spraying across the top deck pool area, etc. We just went all the way to the top most bar the Viking Crown Lounge and had cocktails watching the waves. (Cocktails cure everything} For me it was fun I was in the Navy for 3 years and had seen much worse. I was on a large aircraft carrier, the USS Independence CVA62 in 1968 when we hit a monster storm crossing the Atlantic. We moved all the planes to the hanger bay, good thing because the waves were actually breaking over the bow and washing up over the flight deck. I don't know how many of you remember a WWII series called "Victory at Sea" the lead in to each segment showed a storm at sea with all the Navy ships big and small being battered by waves. So believe me it wasn't that bad for me. The Freedom at that time was the largest ship in the world, I think it is around 165,000 GRT, that's a big ship. We made it back safe and sound and the wife only got woozy once, took some Dramamine and she stayed in the cabin the next day. One of the secrets to not getting sea sick is don't watch the waves, that is what starts the process. lol Been on the Allure and the Oasis and loved them both, I am booking the Allure tomorrow for a cruise with the family for our 50th Anniversary. Making it for late June, early July. There is usually good weather during those months in the Caribbean, the whole crew going with us have never been on a cruise and I don't want anyone getting seas sick, lol.

Sorry to hear things are rocking and rolling a bit. It must be on the rough side to rock the Allure. I was on the Freedom in 2009 with the wife and a few other couples. We were in Mexico on our last stop when the skies got really dark. Hurricane Ida was on the way. we cut short a shore excursion to the island we were on and the small excursion boat took us back to the ship about a 40 minute ride. It was rocking to say the least. As I recall we had everyone on board and the Captain decided to leave a bit early. The trip back to Fort Lauderdale, was rocking and rolling most of the way we were staying just ahead of Ida but it was still causing a lot of ocean turmoil. No one was allowed out of the outer decks, the rain was spraying across the top deck pool area, etc. We just went all the way to the top most bar the Viking Crown Lounge and had cocktails watching the waves. (Cocktails cure everything} For me it was fun I was in the Navy for 3 years and had seen much worse. I was on a large aircraft carrier, the USS Independence CVA62 in 1968 when we hit a monster storm crossing the Atlantic. We moved all the planes to the hanger bay, good thing because the waves were actually breaking over the bow and washing up over the flight deck. I don't know how many of you remember a WWII series called "Victory at Sea" the lead in to each segment showed a storm at sea with all the Navy ships big and small being battered by waves. So believe me it wasn't that bad for me. The Freedom at that time was the largest ship in the world, I think it is around 165,000 GRT, that's a big ship. We made it back safe and sound and the wife only got woozy once, took some Dramamine and she stayed in the cabin the next day. One of the secrets to not getting sea sick is don't watch the waves, that is what starts the process. lol Been on the Allure and the Oasis and loved them both, I am booking the Allure tomorrow for a cruise with the family for our 50th Anniversary. Making it for late June, early July. There is usually good weather during those months in the Caribbean, the whole crew going with us have never been on a cruise and I don't want anyone getting seas sick, lol.

I remember the "Victory at Sea" series - they helped fuel my interest in WWII history. The footage you mention might be from December 1994 when Admiral William "Bull" Halsey unwittingly sailed the 3rd Fleet into the teeth of a typhoon, which cost us several hundred lives, 3 ships and dozens of aircraft. Incidentally I spent a week aboard the Indy in the early 90's while she was docked at Subic Bay in the Philippines. Awesome machine, have great respect for the crew that operated her and her aircraft. It takes some pretty big seas to throw a ship her size around!

On Allure now, the ship is rocking. :eek: looks like rough sailing ahead. Hope the rain doesn't follow us.

We have friends on the Allure now, hope it gets better. Just off the Oasis and had calm seas all week.

We will be on the Allure (Eastern Caribbean) next month and it will be our first time for both ship & route.

We have been on Freedom two times (both Western Carib), once in Feb & once in March and both times I don't think I felt the ship move once, but I heard Eastern is choppier than Western.

• 2 weeks later...
I remember the "Victory at Sea" series - they helped fuel my interest in WWII history. The footage you mention might be from December 1994 when Admiral William "Bull" Halsey unwittingly sailed the 3rd Fleet into the teeth of a typhoon, which cost us several hundred lives, 3 ships and dozens of aircraft. Incidentally I spent a week aboard the Indy in the early 90's while she was docked at Subic Bay in the Philippines. Awesome machine, have great respect for the crew that operated her and her aircraft. It takes some pretty big seas to throw a ship her size around!

I believe that you are right about that film footage, That was incredible. Victory at Sea was a great series and the commentator was so dramatic it made you feel like you were there. I think you made a typo on the date though. It was during the mid 40's, the exact date I don't recall, but you are correct about the circumstances though. I was on the Independence 1967-68, fond memories and many friends. She is due to go to the scrap yards soon. They have scrapped just about all the Forrestal class, Forrestal, Ranger, are gone. The Kitty Hawk and the Independence are next. They are all stripped down waiting to be towed away. Sad to see those great ladies go along with all the history that goes with them. I lost my best friend on the Forrestal when she blew up in Viet Nam in the Gulf of Tonkin. Nice to hear from someone who actually was on the Independence. Take care my friend, smooth saling